Feel like someone was just trying to tell us "ducks dont come to La anymore"
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Darren

Re: Pre Season

Postby DComeaux » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:15 pm

Darren wrote:
birds.jpg

Feel like someone was just trying to tell us "ducks dont come to La anymore"

I don't feel like dancing with you at the moment.... You're intelligent enough to figure it out.
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:54 pm

We watch wave after wave of pintails at our place on most days with a wind flying up and down the boeuf river. Can't do much with most of them but they come every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby jrock75 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:02 pm

Ericdc wrote:We watch wave after wave of pintails at our place on most days with a wind flying up and down the boeuf river. Can't do much with most of them but they come every year.

I was always amazed at the number of pintails we would see at our old blind in Jones. Always flying the same northeast or southwest trajectories a mile high. I would wonder where they were going and from where did they come. If we were lucky some would fall out of the sky and circle us 50 times just out of range. They would circle so many times that we would lose focus and next thing you know a few would be close enough to shoot but we watched a lot more than we ever shot. We called them Spintails because they would circle so many times it would spin your head off. Some days it seemed like we would see thousands.
jrock75

Postby Ricky Spanish » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:29 am

Two weeks ago they were above me in Arkansas.
All the pintails in the world flew by one morning.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Ericdc » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:29 pm

jrock75 wrote:
Ericdc wrote:We watch wave after wave of pintails at our place on most days with a wind flying up and down the boeuf river. Can't do much with most of them but they come every year.

I was always amazed at the number of pintails we would see at our old blind in Jones. Always flying the same northeast or southwest trajectories a mile high. I would wonder where they were going and from where did they come. If we were lucky some would fall out of the sky and circle us 50 times just out of range. They would circle so many times that we would lose focus and next thing you know a few would be close enough to shoot but we watched a lot more than we ever shot. We called them Spintails because they would circle so many times it would spin your head off. Some days it seemed like we would see thousands.
Yep that's how it goes. Once they pair of, they get easier to kill I think.

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:04 pm

Forbes Biological Station

We flew the IL and central MS Rivers on Thursday, December 1st. We were hoping to get the flight in earlier in the week before the colder temps, but weather was not on our side. We had significant ice coverage along the IRV and northern reaches of the MS River, which may have influenced some migration decisions of our birds. We are well above the 10-year average for northern pintails along both rivers this week who were probably still exploiting the abundant food at Goose Lake, Chautauqua NWR, Two Rivers NWR, Dardenne, and Cuivre. I estimated 255,280 ducks in the IRV this week, 2% above the 10-year average (249,201) for this river. I estimated 475,655 ducks along the central MS river this week, 11% below its 10-year average (537,139). Despite being below the 10-yr average for canvasbacks this week, it’s been nice to see them (and lesser scaup) hang around for several weeks over there now. I can’t help but wonder if the increased coverage of SAV during the last two years has played a role in a longer stopover for “the king.”
Attached is a map of another lesser scaup that we marked back in the spring, this time a hen. She made her way up into ND, then on to SK, and finally ended up in the Northwest Territories where she presumably at least attempted to nest. When fall came around she made her way back into Manitoba, stopping over during late September through October at Lake Winnipegosis. Our hen crossed the Great Lakes on October 29, settling on Lake Erie, near Erie, PA. What a ride!
Our website is back up and running, thanks to Aaron Yetter. For this week’s numbers and more information about the waterfowl survey, check out our webpage at http://www.bellrose.org. Stay tuned for more updates next week…….

317966815_517214313780825_251215697219265133_n.jpg

317999255_517215343780722_8029829919166778698_n.jpg
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:17 pm

Additional Birds Diagnosed with Avian Influenza Detected in Louisiana, LDWF Announces

For Immediate Release
Dec. 7, 2022

Several captive birds in northeast Louisiana have died from H5NI Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI), also known as bird flu, the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) announced. The disease also was discovered and confirmed by the National Veterinary Services Laboratory (NVSL) in October in hunter-harvested blue-winged teal in southwest Louisiana.
Birds from Avoyelles, Calcasieu, Morehouse, Ouachita and Richland parishes have tested positive.
HPAI has been detected in wild birds, domestic poultry, or both in 49 states and resulted in the death of over 3,000 wild birds and nearly 48 million domestic birds (poultry). Waterfowl can become sick and die from the disease, however, many birds are carriers that do not show clinical signs. LDWF routinely investigates reports of sick or dead bird events if large numbers are impacted. Waterfowl species and pelicans are among the birds that the disease if affecting.
The Center for Disease Control considers H5N1 HPAI a low risk for public health. While the virus presents a low risk to humans, it is important to avoid contact with sick birds. Also, be mindful that hunting equipment may transport the virus. If you hunt waterfowl and have backyard poultry, plan for added biosecurity measures (http://www.bah.state.mn.us/media/HPAI-N ... -Final.pdf) to keep your flock healthy.
Some general safety guidelines for hunters and others handling wildlife and their tissues include:

• Do not handle or eat sick game.
• Field dress and prepare game outdoors or in a well-ventilated area.
• Wear rubber or disposable nitrile gloves while handling and cleaning game.
• When done handling game, wash hands thoroughly with soap or disinfectant and clean knives, equipment, and surfaces that were exposed to game with hot soapy water and a 10% bleach solution.
• Do not eat, drink or consume tobacco products while handling animals.
• All game should be cooked thoroughly to an internal temperature of at least 165° F.
• Avoid contact with surfaces that appear to be contaminated with feces from wild or domestic birds.
• Hunters should not feed organs, viscera or carcasses to retrievers or leave carcasses to be consumed by other wildlife.
Some other protective measures include:

• As a general rule, observe wild birds from a distance, do not attempt to handle wild animals. Avoid contact with domestic birds (poultry) that appear ill or have died.
• People who work with poultry and wild birds should receive the annual influenza (flu) vaccine. This action reduces the potential for genetic changes in avian influenza, which may render the virus more apt to infect people, thus increasing the potential of pandemic influenza.
LDWF is continuing to monitor for HPAI throughout the state.
Other sources of information concerning HPAI can be found at the following links:
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Avian Influenza: https://www.fws.gov/avian-influenza
USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Services (APHIS): https://www.aphis.usda.gov/publications ... unters.pdf
USGS National Wildlife Health Center: https://www.usgs.gov/mission-areas/ecos ... -influenza
USDA APHIS: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/publications ... ai.508.pdf
For more information, contact LDWF State Veterinarian Dr. James LaCour at jlacour@wlf.la.gov or LDWF Assistant State Veterinarian Dr. Rusty Berry at rberry@wlf.la.gov.

Postby Ricky Spanish » Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:47 pm

Thanks for the bird fluenza update.
How do I approach my doctor...the one I never go see and isn't the same person every time.
Need to convince him to vaccinate me for a bird disease AND get my insurance to cover it.
What do you say?
Pretend I have bird flu and start quacking.
This could be a lot of fun.

Ecoli is going to be the next thing I'm afraid.
Yesterday I saw a video of a lady whose RAIN WATER in a gauge tested positive for Ecoli. Her well too.
Nearby lake as well. What do you do? Make liquor I guess
Ricky Spanish

Postby DComeaux » Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:44 pm

The wife and I made it down to Chenier last night and Blake met us this morning to get the removable winter panels installed.

20221210_121243.jpg

20221210_121327.jpg

20221210_121252.jpg

The hanging Mexican brothel lights you see will be coming down soon. This is something my sister put up when she did the painting for us. I really don't care very much for this look. In time the heavy mill visqueen we used will be replaced with 20-gauge marine vinyl. It will be rolled in those same frames. I had a roll of this visqueen that remained from use on the destroyed porch, so I decided to use that now rather than spend the money from an already overheated bank account. :lol:

When we finished the install Blake, my wife and I made a run in the marsh to check and rebait the crab traps. We jumped a big wad of green wing, a pair of mottled ducks, a few gadwall, and our first ruddy's. There may have been others. The traps gave us just shy of 6 dozen. I just finished eating a few boiled. They are so sweet and delicious.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:24 am

Might never have known what Mexican brothel lights look like without your expert edification.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:54 am

Rick wrote:Might never have known what Mexican brothel lights look like without your expert edification.
Haha, yea I just called them campfire lights.

Ericdc

Postby Ricky Spanish » Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:37 am

When the bees move in on yuh I know a guy called the dirt rooster down that way.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Deltaman » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:35 am

Sweet Getaway Dave, and another box of fresh crabs to boot!!!!!
Livin' da life!!
We're still handlining a few dozen when fishing here, and made a pound of West indies Salad over the weekend. Remainder will go towards crab rangoon tonight!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby DComeaux » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:55 am

Deltaman wrote:Sweet Getaway Dave, and another box of fresh crabs to boot!!!!!
Livin' da life!!
We're still handlining a few dozen when fishing here, and made a pound of West indies Salad over the weekend. Remainder will go towards crab rangoon tonight!!!

I had to look up the salad, which I'll have to try, and the crab rangoon's I love. There's a local place here that makes a dipping sauce for those that I really like. I'll have to try get their recipe.... It's really good.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:33 am

Sunday afternoon I was at my sons place on the Atchafalaya river and saw quite a few Robins. He just sent me a text saying "full of robins out here". Seems we've gotten a good push of those this week.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:08 pm

DComeaux wrote:Sunday afternoon I was at my sons place on the Atchafalaya river and saw quite a few Robins. He just sent me a text saying "full of robins out here". Seems we've gotten a good push of those this week.

And I got excited when I saw one behind our community center a few days ago. Nearly posted so.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:54 pm

Rick wrote:
DComeaux wrote:Sunday afternoon I was at my sons place on the Atchafalaya river and saw quite a few Robins. He just sent me a text saying "full of robins out here". Seems we've gotten a good push of those this week.

And I got excited when I saw one behind our community center a few days ago. Nearly posted so.

I would like to see the woodcock numbers as they once were, although I'm not walking through their habitat near as much as I once was. I don't see the late evening flights to open fields around home anymore.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:28 pm

Notices of Intent for next season. I see there will be a mottled duck "season" and bag limit change.

I could see this coming....
No mottled ducks may be taken for the first 15 days of the season with 1 per day allowed for the remainder.

Trey Iles
(225) 765-5115
riles@wlf.la.gov

For Immediate Release
Jan. 6, 2023

The Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commission (LWFC) adopted notices of intent for the 2023-24 and 2024-25 hunting seasons, 2023-24 general and Wildlife Management Areas (WMA) hunting seasons and rules and regulations, 2024 general and WMA turkey hunting season and rules and regulations and 2023-24 migratory bird hunting season and rules and regulations at its January meeting Thursday (Jan. 5) in Baton Rouge.
The notices of intent include proposed hunting season dates and regulation changes from the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) for the upcoming hunting seasons and provide for a public comment period.
Some of the proposed changes include:
• Deer Area 5 and 9 language change to with or without dogs season;
• Adding pre-charged pneumatic devices, air guns that fire projectiles such as arrows or bolts, as allowable gear for hunting exotics and deer;
• Clarifying language on hunting/discharging firearms on LDWF WMA public roads;
• Establishing a limited access area on Pomme de Terre WMA;
• Addition of night time raccoon hunting on Bodcau WMA;
• Night time closure of certain activities on Bussey Brake WMA;
• Addition of either-sex deer days on Joyce and Maurepas WMAs;
• Converting primitive firearms either-sex days to modern firearm either-sex days on Little River WMA;
• Establishing a two-day youth turkey lottery on Pearl River WMA;
• Closure of turkey season on Richard K. Yancey WMA;
• Establishing a two-day youth turkey hunt on Sandy Hollow WMA;
• Closure of turkey season on Sherburne WMA;
• Reduction of seven days of modern firearms either-sex, seven days of bucks only and four days of primitive firearms either-sex hunting on Sherburne WMA. Removal of the general turkey lottery and proposing a nine-day open season on Tunica Hills WMA;
• Moving parts of Franklin, Madison, Richland and Tensas Parishes from Turkey Area A to Turkey Area C;
Mottled duck season and bag limit change;
• WMA and LDWF leased field dove hunting shooting hours will be same as outside.
To view the full notice of intent, all regulation changes and proposed hunting dates for the upcoming hunting seasons, go to https://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/resources ... tion-items.
Public comment will be accepted through 4 p.m. on March 2, 2023. It will also be accepted at LWFC monthly meetings from now through March 2. Comments may be submitted directly to Tommy Tuma, LDWF Wildlife Division, P.O. Box 98000, Baton Rouge, LA. 70898-9000 or 225-765-2349 or by e-mail at ttuma@wlf.la.gov.
LDWF will also hold a public meeting to be announced at a later date.
For more information, contact Tommy Tuma at 225-765-2349 or ttuma@wlf.la.gov.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:31 pm

Little surprised it hasn't come sooner. Going to be problematic in poor light.
Rick

Postby 5 stand » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:33 pm

Rick wrote:Going to be problematic in poor light.

So true !!!
5 stand

Postby Duck Engr » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:54 pm

Need to start shooting hours at daylight like Arkansas does for blue wings.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby 5 stand » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:22 pm

Duck Engr wrote:Need to start shooting hours at daylight like Arkansas does for blue wings.

That might be a very good idea... Not a popular one, but a good one...
5 stand

Postby Ricky Spanish » Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:19 am

5 stand wrote:
Duck Engr wrote:Need to start shooting hours at daylight like Arkansas does for blue wings.

That might be a very good idea... Not a popular one, but a good one...

I have heard that we are undergoing a mass extinction of many species due to man's destruction of habitat.
According to the source....around 90% of species in south America are endangered.
How does this apply to ducks?
We
Will
See
Soon
Enough
I should be in skule.
No hunting until noon!
G. Thunberg
Ricky Spanish

Postby Rick » Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:56 am

And outlaw hunting in the fog.

Wonder what lowering the scaup limit for the first 15 days has done for them or, for that matter, what real good has come of dropping the mottled limit from three to one?

Bottom line has always come down to the fact that our species is quite literally screwing life on this planet out of it.
Rick

Postby Ricky Spanish » Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:56 am

Rick wrote:

And outlaw hunting in the fog.

Wonder what lowering the scaup limit for the first 15 days has done for them or, for that matter, what real good has come of dropping the mottled limit from three to one?

Bottom line has always come down to the fact that our species is quite literally screwing life on this planet out of it.

The other day I saw lots of them bluebills.
There is one that lands by the gauge at 7 Mile every evening to feed. I'm there to watch the flyup/out.
The ducks were starting to actually use the woods when I had to leave. That bright big moon setting at 6:30 doesn't help a bit.

I swear I thought it was a greenhead until I got binoculars out.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Ericdc » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:21 am

That would suck, watching your only chances at teal come and go waiting for sunrise. It's hard enough to kill anything now and we want to restrict even more.

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:43 pm

My wife and I made a very early trip to Chenier this morning to check the traps and rebait, and I wished I was hunting. We jumped the most big ducks we've seen this season and the teal were thick. We jumped ducks from the time we left the truck until we got to our pond. I shut off the engine once we got to the traps and watched teal and big ducks work our decoys. The peeping and quacks in the flats around us was loud. This makes me a little upset.

I had to reset a bunch of the decoys that were pushed far out of place by the strong SE winds we had this past week. A couple of the traps were rolled out of place and were on their side.

We did well with the traps.

20230107_091538.jpg
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:38 am

DComeaux wrote:My wife and I made a very early trip to Chenier this morning to check the traps and rebait, and I wished I was hunting. We jumped the most big ducks we've seen this season and the teal were thick. We jumped ducks from the time we left the truck until we got to our pond. I shut off the engine once we got to the traps and watched teal and big ducks work our decoys. The peeping and quacks in the flats around us was loud. This makes me a little upset.

"Little upset"? Flat pisses me off, someone needs to chase those those birds up here. Sure you can't call in sick? I'll write you a note.

Glad you got to be in among 'em like that. That's been a much too rare treat in recent years.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:54 pm

Rick wrote:
DComeaux wrote:My wife and I made a very early trip to Chenier this morning to check the traps and rebait, and I wished I was hunting. We jumped the most big ducks we've seen this season and the teal were thick. We jumped ducks from the time we left the truck until we got to our pond. I shut off the engine once we got to the traps and watched teal and big ducks work our decoys. The peeping and quacks in the flats around us was loud. This makes me a little upset.

"Little upset"? Flat pisses me off, someone needs to chase those those birds up here. Sure you can't call in sick? I'll write you a note.

Glad you got to be in among 'em like that. That's been a much too rare treat in recent years.

I pray that they stay. It did my heart good to see this.
DComeaux

PreviousNext

Return to DComeaux 2022-2023