2022 2023 Season Log

Re: 2022 2023 Season Log

Postby Ricky Spanish » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:44 am

My success at the wma depends a lot on weather in the summer and early fall.
They drain the NWR down its part of their maintenance plan. Each year they do it and plant Japanese millet along exposed shorelines. Some years it germinates and grows and some it does not.
In years where the millet grows and thrives the refuge holds way more ducks. I've seen it good and bad and it all hinges on that millet.
Last season was bad as far as millet. It completely failed.
Ricky Spanish

Postby BigHutch » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:26 am

Ducaholic wrote:
Ericdc wrote:
Ducaholic wrote:Give me 2010 again and everything would be ok. But it's not and it never will be where I like to spend time chasing them. It's not like I could often kill limits of teal if I wanted to so when I say we will shoot whatever comes I mean it within reason. Example will I shoot 12 spoons no I won't. Will I shoot 12 ring necks no I won't but I will add a few of each to the bag to make a 2 man limit? You bertcha! In 2010 I would never had given it a second thought except for allowing the kids to shoot a few on a slow day.
I killed a lot of ducks in seasons beginning in year 2009 2010 2012 2013 2014 2016 2017 2019 & 2021.

More good than bad...hoping it stays that way in the next 10 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looked at pictures I saved from 2007 through 2016. Your were in a few along with some nice straps of ducks. Hard to pin point exactly what changed other than a lack of the thick hydrilla that used to literally blanket the water of my favorite spot. And of course the limestone on the road that essentially ended our hold on as fine a duck killing spot as there was anywhere. Nothing stays the same forever they say. I know that to be very true in this instance.

What I think has really changed is the lack of juvenile recruitment to imprint on wintering areas at our end of the flyway. I hope the early season drought up the flyway pushed enough juveniles passed the spinning wings up north so they can imprint on Louisiana as their migration destination.

A man can hope csn’t he …
Robbie aka Big Hutch
BigHutch

Postby Darren » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:02 pm

Robbie, note Dave's posting of his wing survey results that showed a surprising number of immature birds he harvested, including both of the two mallards he had sent in. Plainly, some young are making it down, so there's hope !
Darren

Postby Rick » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:58 am

A blast from DComeaux's past:
CIMG1860.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:52 am

Nothing says comfort in the field better than a good crapper :thumbsup:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby DComeaux » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:29 am

LOL!! When you gotta go, you gotta go. What not do it in comfort if ya can.
DComeaux

Postby Deltaman » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:08 pm

First time I got stuck in a pirogue in S. LA with no place to get out, and a sphincter close to a bursting point, I started rifling through my 5 gallon hunting bucket/seat, moaning to my buddies that it was fixing to get ugly. Low and behold, I found a folded up trash bag, and a ziploc with a couple of clean paper towels. You would've thought I hit the lotto, as I scrambled to empty the bucket, get my britches down and the trash bag liner in place before the eruption started. Since that day, I have always kept a couple of what I deemed " Shit Kits" in my bucket, and they have been the source of relief when needed. Not as comfortable as Dave's marsh crapper, but damn sure got the job done! Also, much easier than trying to perch my arse over the side, which as we all know, is nigh impossible to do in a pirogue :lol:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:24 pm

Deltaman wrote:First time I got stuck in a pirogue in S. LA with no place to get out, and a sphincter close to a bursting point, I started rifling through my 5 gallon hunting bucket/seat, moaning to my buddies that it was fixing to get ugly. Low and behold, I found a folded up trash bag, and a ziploc with a couple of clean paper towels. You would've thought I hit the lotto, as I scrambled to empty the bucket, get my britches down and the trash bag liner in place before the eruption started. Since that day, I have always kept a couple of what I deemed " Shit Kits" in my bucket, and they have been the source of relief when needed. Not as comfortable as Dave's marsh crapper, but damn sure got the job done! Also, much easier than trying to perch my arse over the side, which as we all know, is nigh impossible to do in a pirogue :lol:

You'd fit right in.
A certain refuge member was completely disgusted by a make shift latrine. "This ain't no Holiday Inn". :lol:
Ricky Spanish

Postby Ducaholic » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:38 am

DComeaux wrote:LOL!! When you gotta go, you gotta go. What not do it in comfort if ya can.

Camo that puppy and anchor it in the marsh near your blind :thumbsup:
Ducaholic

Previous

Return to DComeaux 2022-2023