Pre-Season

Pre-Season

Postby jrock75 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:32 pm

I had mentioned how dry our marsh was previously. We were able to get a dozer in and really put a hurting on the cattails that had tightened up the hole. We were able to connect up a couple of previously isolated holes and now have a ~3 acre opening vs. ~1 acre that I hunted last year. The drought has turned all the cattails in the marsh brown and has made the whole marsh look like you would see at the end of winter. Though the water it back, I am not sure how it is going to hunt. I assume that the wigeon grass is the primary historical food source but it is gone since there has only been water for a couple of weeks.

We have now finished up the new blind. Transplanted two 16' trailer loads of clump grass and bushes to cover the island we pushed up with the dozer and it could still use some more. Hopefully a storm doesn't come in this year and wash away the island. Blind consists of six single man pods from Tradewinds with a platform in the middle for the dogs. Set up where we can face north or south depending on wind and the birds' preferred flight path that day. Each side of three blinds is surrounded by a boardwalk of three 2x6's with cattle panel flaps brushed in palms that can be adjusted for desired height. May end up shortening the panels a bit but wanted to try it out first. Need some paint on the stairs and it is ready for this weekend.

Dry Marsh.jpg

Bulldozer in Marsh.jpg

East Flats Blind.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
jrock75

Re: Pre-Season

Postby Duck Engr » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:56 pm

Looking good! Awesome y’all were able to get in with the dozer.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby BGkirk » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:49 pm

That looks fun.
I like the steps in the middle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BGkirk

Postby Anotherone » Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:22 am

I see dead teal in your future. Nice place.
Anotherone

Postby Deltaman » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:49 am

Would've thought a dozer would sink in that stuff, and how sweet it is to be able to use while the water was down.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby jrock75 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:56 am

I was worried when we put the dozer in there at the end of May because the top few inches were dry but it was damp underneath. Guess the tracks kept it from sinking. By the time we buried the pits in July, it was dry all the way down. I drove my pickup out there and didn't even leave a trail.
jrock75

Return to jrock75 2022-2023