Preseason 2023

Moderator: DComeaux

Preseason 2023

Postby DComeaux » Tue May 09, 2023 8:44 am

The new landowner had our boat slip dug out along with the small, shallow trenasse we had navigate getting to the bigger water. The trenasse was short but very shallow and would go dry during low water events. He also added new limestone to the launch area. I haven't yet received the lease payment letter for this season and I'm hoping it doesn't double yet again. Those pilling's and wood you see is what remains of our boat shed after Laura and Delta paid us a visit.

IMG_1554.jpg

IMG_1553.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Re: Preseason 2023

Postby Deltaman » Tue May 09, 2023 9:34 am

Glad to see that your access has been restored even during low water. Will you rebuild the boat shed, or will that be on him?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Tue May 09, 2023 9:53 am

Even before I got to the payment part, I was thinking "Rent's goin' up."
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Tue May 09, 2023 11:01 am

Deltaman wrote:Glad to see that your access has been restored even during low water. Will you rebuild the boat shed, or will that be on him?

That shed was built by one of the guy's that has hunted that place for over thirty years, and still does. He was the guy that invited me into this place and that I paid to hunt there. We don't have plans to rebuild it, as it would be a pretty expensive endeavor. We just launch on Friday evenings and pick up on Sunday. The boats are at the camps for the week. This works out well, as I can wash the saltwater from the boat and clean it out thoroughly every weekend.

Rick wrote:Even before I got to the payment part, I was thinking "Rent's goin' up."

I sure hope not.... I'm seriously contemplating adding another paying blind partner, regardless.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Fri May 12, 2023 4:48 pm

The work on the duck property continues. There is a marsh hoe rebuilding the entire west and south border levees as I type this. The east levee was rebuilt a few months ago with a new water control structure installed.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Mon May 15, 2023 7:40 am

Still got a small tie-in to the Gulf on the south end? Likely going to stay or they're cutting that off? Would think it best for your crabbing interests to keep some kind of nexus.
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Mon May 15, 2023 2:04 pm

Darren wrote:Still got a small tie-in to the Gulf on the south end? Likely going to stay or they're cutting that off? Would think it best for your crabbing interests to keep some kind of nexus.

We will eventually be closed in completely with the water regulated by control gates. We'll still have crabs, I think.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Wed May 17, 2023 3:40 pm

Delta Waterfowl Foundation
These conditions can make for a great 2023-2024 duck season!
Stay tuned for more innovative maps and scientific research from the Delta team!

1684354176651.png
DComeaux

Postby PorkChop » Wed May 17, 2023 6:14 pm

Definitely great news and more rain in the forecast next week! Things are looking great here!
PorkChop

Postby DComeaux » Thu May 18, 2023 1:09 pm

With a record-low breeding population surveyed last spring, pintails just missed the threshold that would have required a closed season. Following is an update on the status of these highly admired birds

https://www.ducks.org/conservation/waterfowl-research-science/pintails-on-the-brink?fbclid=IwAR05JO79hp52KYJV8gbEZCOUkUWbMexmXnR_jGkGweFZAoPuPIHas3q7x8Q
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:25 am

FB_IMG_1685902795757.jpg
DComeaux

Postby Deltaman » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:52 am

Heck Yeh, Loved Super X, and remember Peter's True Blues as well!!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:44 am

Well, the lease is paid for another year and there was another price increase so I took in a 3rd hunter to help ease the sting. Blake, Randall (has a blind south of us) and I rode the property yesterday and the changes were exciting. The water was released for drying time and I haven't seen so much dry land in there in a long time, if ever.

Our blind island is high and drying out nicely and all grasses around our blind and in this marsh are bright green and thick. Our old boat ditch is now dry and grass is starting to cover it. The lack of roseau was at first alarming but it's being taken over by the natural marsh grasses and tall cord grass, which is a good thing. Was told they were going to do a complete drawdown of the marsh, but being this process involves the property to our east the crabber was not happy. The compromise was to add a few more boards back to the gates to hold water where it is now, or just a bit lower, and our new land owner allows him to set his traps in our deeper areas that were the original ponds when this marsh was a marsh. The water may continue to drop if we stay in this dry spell and we don't get a tropical surge.

We jumped a few blue wing in our travels around the property yesterday. It must be some of those that make our marsh their home. Was told by a good source that the nearby refuge holds many of those every year throughout the summer months. I haven't been this excited about a duck season in a long time, and without hurricanes this place will continue to get better. The new landowners remarks to me that he wanted to "restore this place to it's former glory" is happening. He plans to set up the most Sothern part of the property for he and is family to hunt. I just hope I remain in his plans to be a lowly blind leaser.

I didn't think of taking pictures while we were out there as I was too wrapped up in what I was visually taking in. All I have to offer is this picture taken and sent to me by Blake on the ride in. My eyes are closed, probably imagining ducks over the decoys.
IMG_9512.jpg
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:29 pm

DComeaux wrote:...I haven't been this excited about a duck season in a long time...

And that, my friends, is exactly as it should be.

Dave, I doubt you'll get the boot unless you've taken a heck of a turn for the worse. No question, whatsoever, that you were the best of the hundreds of leasees our camp has dealt with: plenty of nice guys, but none nearly so willing to work.
Rick

Postby Duck Engr » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:30 pm

Wonderful news Dave!
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Darren » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:49 pm

Great stuff, Dave!! I'm excited for you just reading it, need to come down sometime.
Darren

Postby Deltaman » Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:23 pm

Glad to hear it is working out for you Dave, and look forward to your future reports!
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby PorkChop » Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:57 pm

Great report and good to hear of your excitement for the upcoming season. Looking forward to reading the reports!

As a sidenote couldn’t imagine having to add boards and remove boards… After listening to some of Ramsey‘s podcasts it sounds like it’s a real science!
PorkChop

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:02 pm

Rick wrote:
DComeaux wrote:...I haven't been this excited about a duck season in a long time...

And that, my friends, is exactly as it should be.

Dave, I doubt you'll get the boot unless you've taken a heck of a turn for the worse. No question, whatsoever, that you were the best of the hundreds of leasees our camp has dealt with: plenty of nice guys, but none nearly so willing to work.

Thanks for the kind words my friend.

I feel helpless with this lease as the work here takes no labor on my part, it is all in big money, something I can't help with in the amounts this guy is spending. it's almost frustrating for me. I don't like sitting on the sideline.

.....and thanks to the rest of you, I do appreciate the comments.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:25 pm

Duck Engr wrote:Wonderful news Dave!

I passed through your neck of the woods a couple of weeks ago. I vacationed in Navarre for the week with the wife and family, and my gaggle of grandkids. I needed to get back to work to rest. LOL

The water was very cool to cold without sun, and it was the clearest I've seen it in the last 10 years or so.
348832437_1691573341274261_5323927069440098794_n.jpg
DComeaux

Postby 5 stand » Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:31 pm

Boy that sure sounds exciting, hope Randall fits right in...
5 stand

Postby Deltaman » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:14 am

Cool double rainbow Dave!!!!!!
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby DComeaux » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:45 am

Deltaman wrote:Cool double rainbow Dave!!!!!!

That was post was actually meant for you. I quoted the wrong person...lol
DComeaux

Postby Duck Engr » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:57 am

You were only a couple hours south of me, but I was a little confused haha
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby DComeaux » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:11 am

PorkChop wrote:Great report and good to hear of your excitement for the upcoming season. Looking forward to reading the reports!

As a sidenote couldn’t imagine having to add boards and remove boards… After listening to some of Ramsey‘s podcasts it sounds like it’s a real science!

Concerning the boards, it's just a matter of trial and error until you find your desired water depth. The new landowner also leases the large adjoining marsh tract to our west and has a permanent water level stick gauge he uses on that side to maintain the desired water level. We are connected by cuts to that section, so he may have to adjust what was his normal to what our marsh needs for the optimum water depth. It'll all come together in time.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:13 am

Duck Engr wrote:You were only a couple hours south of me, but I was a little confused haha

LOL...
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:45 am

DComeaux wrote:
PorkChop wrote:Great report and good to hear of your excitement for the upcoming season. Looking forward to reading the reports!

Concerning the boards, it's just a matter of trial and error until you find your desired water depth. The new landowner also leases the large adjoining marsh tract to our west and has a permanent water level stick gauge he uses on that side to maintain the desired water level. We are connected by cuts to that section, so he may have to adjust what was his normal to what our marsh needs for the optimum water depth. It'll all come together in time.
I measure from the top of the structure down to the ideal water level during season so I'll know where to put boards up to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby Ducaholic » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:27 am

Good News Dave :thumbsup:
Ducaholic

Postby DComeaux » Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:24 pm

Ericdc wrote:
DComeaux wrote:

I measure from the top of the structure down to the ideal water level during season so I'll know where to put boards up to. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's it. I want to set to where the teal, gadwall, pintail, and widgeon grass are thick- thick. lol
DComeaux

Postby Deltaman » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:53 pm

DComeaux wrote:
Deltaman wrote:Cool double rainbow Dave!!!!!!

That was post was actually meant for you. I quoted the wrong person...lol

Hah, made me smile Dave, and hope y'all had a Good beach getaway in Navarre!!!
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Next

Return to DComeaux 2023-2024