SpinnerMan 2023-2024 Log

Moderator: SpinnerMan

Re: SpinnerMan 2023-2024 Log

Postby Rick » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:55 am

Another example of persistence paying off.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:26 pm

Date: January 20

Hunters: Myself, Jose, Mike

Time: Morning through early afternoon

Weather Conditions: Very cold (~1 F), moderate wind, and sunny

Waterfowl Activity: Very slow compared to yesterday. Very cold and sunny can do that

One small flock worked nice with one landing behind us. The rest looked like they were coming right where we wanted. In range, but not perfect they got nervous and started sliding, so we took the shot. I looked straight in the sun, missed, they were cutting hard to the other side of the blind, so I decided to spin behind the blind and got the one getting up off the ground. They didn't shoot any better at the ones out front. That was pretty much it for the day. Most other blinds were slow but did better than us.

Curses: Too much sun.

Birds By Species: 1 Canadas
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:52 am

Date: January 21

Hunters: Myself, Jesse, Jeremy, Micah, and his son Paxton

Time: Morning through early afternoon

Weather Conditions: Very cold (-3 F) warming to a balmy 20F on a moderate south wind with clear skies in the morning with a good bit of clouds growing over the morning

Waterfowl Activity: Pretty much unbelievable a mile or more to our west. Thousands of geese flew out but not a lot didn't follow the leader. Decent amount of duck activity too which was nice to watch even though the season is closed.

Curses: I had to leave early to catch a flight for work. We were starting to see a few more our way.

We had a few working birds. Got two singles and 3 out of a small flock. All worked nicely making for a fun hunt and everyone got shooting.

Birds By Species: 5 Canadas

Photo Ops:

I think Paxton had as much fun retrieving as shooting.

PXL_20240121_160731644.TS_exported_4301.jpg

First day this year with working mallards and if you get the magnifying glass the one black duck

YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
SpinnerMan

Postby Deltaman » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:49 am

Great reports Spinner, and I know you are gonna hate that Florida weather after a couple of days in the cold up North :lol:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:02 pm

Y'all saw the green reward band on that black duck?
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:32 pm

Rick wrote:Y'all saw the green reward band on that black duck?

It was $100, right?

Deltaman wrote:Great reports Spinner, and I know you are gonna hate that Florida weather after a couple of days in the cold up North :lol:

John from Friday was from Louisiana. He had a good time, but he most definitely wasn't ready for the weather. He kept the heater close. :lol:

I'm up for another week. We're going to get above freezing weather and some rain this week :( :( :( I'm going to give Saturday a go. I don't think we'll lose all the geese because it was so cold for so long. The ice is thick and and there's a lot of snow up north. The hunting is a lot better with snow on the ground and it's a lot more fun hunting in 0 degree weather when you can drive in the fields then 40 degree weather in the mud.

I'll probably see near 80 degree weather shortly after I get back. That's going to feel pretty toasty now that I've thickened my blood. I'm in Louisville for work. When I landed last night and it was about 30 degrees out, I never put my coat on standing outside waiting for the Uber.
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:47 pm

Date: January 26 (My last day this season)

Hunters: Myself

Time: Afternoon

Weather Conditions: Warm (40 F) low clouds intermittent light rain light W wind

Waterfowl Activity: Thousands of geese around and nearly nonstop flights of mallards

Curses: It had warmed up and rained this week, turned the fields to mud, and a huge field full of geese about 1 mile east

Couldn't win against thousands of the real thing.

I talked a single in from a long ways, he was about 60 yards out looking like he was setting up to land when another single came flying by fast, passed about 10 yards from him and then went straight to the big body of geese to the east. I swear it looked like that goose warned him off. The attitude immediately changed and my best opportunity followed the snitch over to the big body of geese. :o :lol:

Birds By Species: DNS

Photo Ops:

Somebody took a single shot at the big body of geese. Not sure if they just wanted to try to run them off or sniped a band. Only emptied about half the field or so but it put up the biggest wad of geese I've seen in awhile. If only they would have run off the the rest of them.

PXL_20240126_201042717.jpg

Saw a lot of this, but couldn't find an interested bird in the bunch. Definitely been there awhile and know where they were going.

PXL_20240126_221604150.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
SpinnerMan

Previous

Return to Spinnerman 2023-2024