SpinnerMan 2023-2024 Log

Moderator: SpinnerMan

SpinnerMan 2023-2024 Log

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:54 am

Date: September 1 (Opening Day Early Goose)

Hunters: Myself, Jeff, and Stephen

Time: Morning

Weather Conditions: Cool, clear, no wind.

Waterfowl Activity: Saw a few geese. One small group got up a couple hundred yards and showed zero interest. Saw a quite a few ducks, mostly wood ducks.

Curses: I was told the field was mowed, so I didn't mow it as planned. It was not. I don't think that made a difference, but it needs to be mowed. Geese don't normally hang out in the tall grass, but I have seen it. Even the dumb one's are suspicious.

Birds By Species: None

Fishing: Fishing was good. Didn't fish long, but caught 3 bass. Biggest around 16". Had a fair number of misses on the buzzbait.

Photo Ops:

I actually thought I had a good picture :lol:

PXL_20230901_103003169.jpg

Nice to be back in the blind with a couple of nice guys.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
SpinnerMan

Re: SpinnerMan 2023-2024 Log

Postby Deltaman » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:10 am

Bummer on the lack of geese for the opener, but nice to be able to combine a little fishing beforehand :thumbsup:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:43 am

SpinnerMan wrote:Curses: I was told the field was mowed, so I didn't mow it as planned. It was not. I don't think that made a difference, but it needs to be mowed. Geese don't normally hang out in the tall grass, but I have seen it. Even the dumb one's are suspicious.

Lot of folks here screw the pooch by planting rye grass too early and/or thick. Birds love the new stuff and regrowth where they or cattle have kept it clipped but don't care for the old tough stuff. Can't blame 'em.
Rick

Postby PorkChop » Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:51 pm

Well at least you got out and awesome you caught a few fish
PorkChop

Postby SpinnerMan » Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:15 am

I mowed the field yesterday afternoon. Dusty, pollen, ... I am paying dearly today. Sinuses are a wreck. Headache, but the field looks good and the blind is invisible.
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:41 am

SpinnerMan wrote:...and the blind is invisible.

A good blind hides itself.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:24 am

Rick wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:...and the blind is invisible.

A good blind hides itself.

I should have said still invisible. We put this blind in a few years ago. Everything has now grown up around it nicely. All I did was smooth the transition from the mowed field to the uncut growth around the blind so it still looks very natural.
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:59 pm

Sounds like "a good blind".
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:43 am

Date: September 7 (Evening hunt with the wife)

Hunters: Myself and Gina

Time: Evening

Weather Conditions: Cool, overcast, moderate N to NE wind.

Waterfowl Activity: Heard a lot and saw a decent number

We had a really enjoyable evening hunt. We could hear geese 360 degrees around us. We saw quite a few birds and had a few in play. Singles talking back and forth with me used to be my bread and better. The last couple years I have not talked many of them to their death. I had couple seemingly lonely singles that we talked back and forth, but nothing more than a distant fly by. :?: I know I used to get a higher percentage. Not sure what I'm doing differently.

Broke off a single from a high pair. Cupped up, clucking like crazy, and losing altitude fast. Made a high circled. Made a second circle still dropping. Coming around for the third time, I was debating on whether to have my wife shoot or try to see if it would land. But back behind us it just leveled off about 25 yards off the deck and headed off. I thought we had that one for sure.

With minutes left before the end of shooting time, a big flock came flying right down our channel. The end bird were going to pass within range. I told my wife we are shooting. This was her first time shooting at passing birds. Having to get up quickly, ... and lead the birds. She missed, but we got shooting. I missed to, but I'm pretty sure I was more focused on my wife than shooting. She got kicked a bit as she probably didn't mount the gun right. Part of the learning process.

We also got to enjoy good bird watching. There were at least two hummingbirds in the area. One came up and hung in the air about 10' from us. Pretty sure it was actually checking us out. Cardinals, a kingfisher, herons, ... Nice weather. A great evening out with the wife.

Birds By Species: None

Fishing: DNF
SpinnerMan

Postby Deltaman » Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:00 am

Quality time with your bride, doing something you love, makes it worthwhile, even if you didn't kill any geese.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:07 am

SpinnerMan wrote:Broke off a single from a high pair. Cupped up, clucking like crazy, and losing altitude fast. Made a high circled. Made a second circle still dropping. Coming around for the third time, I was debating on whether to have my wife shoot or try to see if it would land. But back behind us it just leveled off about 25 yards off the deck and headed off. I thought we had that one for sure.

Still got most of the good out of it without having to pluck.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:44 am

Rick wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:Broke off a single from a high pair. Cupped up, clucking like crazy, and losing altitude fast. Made a high circled. Made a second circle still dropping. Coming around for the third time, I was debating on whether to have my wife shoot or try to see if it would land. But back behind us it just leveled off about 25 yards off the deck and headed off. I thought we had that one for sure.

Still got most of the good out of it without having to pluck.

:thumbsup: We had fun with a few birds. That one being very exciting and a good show.

I obviously want to get birds, but I'm happy as long as we get to play and we got to play.
SpinnerMan

Postby Deltaman » Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:49 am

"Still got most of the good out of it without having to pluck." ............Rick, love your dry sense of humor, and that comment made me laugh out loud, Thanks :thumbsup:
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby PorkChop » Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:58 pm

Sounds like a great evening hunt with your wife! Bummer on that one single. That has happened to me more times than I would like to admit!
PorkChop

Postby SpinnerMan » Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:44 am

Date: September 8 (Evening hunt with the wife)

Hunters: Myself and Gina

Time: Evening

Weather Conditions: Cool, overcast, moderate N wind.

Waterfowl Activity: 3 geese seen before the end of shooting time. Saw a few ducks. Just a slow evening. Several big flocks headed back after we were completely picked up.

More like an enjoyable evening sitting on the porch than hunting, but nothing wrong with that.

Birds By Species: DNS
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:03 pm

Date: September 12 (Taunted by the teal)

Hunters: Myself

Weather Conditions: Cool, cloudy, calm at first light but quickly had the ideal NW wind for the blind.

Waterfowl Activity: Geese making noise in all directions before shooting time, especially to the north. Saw a decent number of wood ducks and two teal (we'll get to the teal)

Curses: It seemed like it was just going to be one of those days where a lot of little things go wrong. I got set up later than planned so I didn't have as much time to fish. Lost the skirt on my buzzbait. Geese were making so much noise I went to the blind right at shooting time. Didn't like how I set the decoys, so I hustled out to move them. Just as I'm finishing, a single goose is bearing down on me. Damn it. But everything righted itself after that. Well except for the teal, but I don't put that under a curse.

I did a lot of calling to the geese on the water around me. I've had good luck with that and today was no exception. As noted, right after shooting time a single seemed on a suicide run, but I was standing in the decoys. Got back in the blind and it wasn't too long before I heard some heading my way. A pair heading down from the geese up north making quite a bit of noise, come behind me and circled around gliding in just as picture perfect of decoying geese as you will get. Took 3 shots to put them both down for good, but it was the first birds of the season.

The first one I shot headed from the land into the lake. I watched to see if I needed to shoot him again and yes it was a him because he was banded. He wasn't swimming well and turned around heading to shore. So I ducked out to go pick them up so I lost sight for a second. "Where's he at?" Must be in the clump of weeds on the shoreline. So I walk towards it. Nope, he's hiding with my nearest pair of decoys. I realized this when I got too close and he ran to hide with the next pair :lol:

Little while later had a single repeats almost exactly. Got up from up north, around behind, and circled in without hesitation. Dropped that one about 10 yards from the water's edge. That goose was determined to get to the water. That was clear, but it had lost nearly all motor skills. It would try to run, fall, flop, roll, go again, ... It eventually reached the water. It couldn't swim any better. It gave up on that and then tried to dive. When I got to it, it was straight up and down with it's butt above water trying its hardest to dive, but never got a tail feather under the water. :lol:

Now the teal. This is my 20th season hunting at this club. Most early seasons I have a close encounter with BWT, but I have yet to even get a shot off. Each is a unique encounter, but the end is the same. Teal pass in range and no shots fired. I always put a few of my hen mallard decoys out and my floating spinner. I also bring a second gun with teal loads. I'm determined to get one.

Today was by far the funniest. I'm watching a wood duck fly over up about 30 yards. A pair of teal pass right over my goose spread about 20' off the ground and maybe 25 yards from me, but I was looking at the woody. They hook over my small spread of duck decoys and look like they landed off to my right where I can't see the water. I ease out of the blind and see ripples on the water, but no ducks. So I decide to circle around the brush and see if they are further down the channel. Nope no ducks. Then I look behind me. They pass over the goose decoys again :lol: If I would have just stayed put :twisted: They head to the next channel over and I assume they are gone, but nope. They turn back and land about 80 yards away. I'm now standing just outside the blind door behind the brush. Well hidden. I flip the spinner on a few brief times just to get their attention. I hear some geese. "What to do?" My goose gun is at the far end of the blind. I keep watching the teal for a little while longer. I hear more geese. "OK, get the goose gun." So I duck in grab it quick and back to my spot. I don't see the teal, but I don't think they left. Just not easy to see where they are. About 30 seconds later, I hear splashing in my duck decoys nearest me that I can't see from the high brush along the bank. Son of a bitch. While I ducked in to grab the goose gun. The teal hopped up and flew right into my decoys. The splashing was them jumping off the water about 10 yards from me. The way they went out, I didn't see them until too late :lol: :lol: :lol: These two little guys really taunted me good today :evil:

My wife texted me asking how I'm doing and if I can pick her up some breakfast on the way home. I told her I have 3 geese and maybe on breakfast. She says, well after you get the 4th and 5th, I can do it. Time to pick up. So I pull the decoys on the water first. Standing at the boat packing them when I hear some geese to the south. Duck behind the brush and start calling. A pair comes straight in from the south on a suicide run. I text my wife back "4th and 5th on the ground." And I did pick up breakfast for her. :thumbsup:

When I got home, it was clear she wished she had come along this morning. I wish she would have too. These would have been perfect geese for her.

Birds By Species: 5 Canada geese (1 local band)

Fishing: One decent bass.

Photo Ops:

PXL_20230912_134226311.TS_exported_33245~2.jpg
SpinnerMan

Postby Deltaman » Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:36 pm

Congrats on the eventful hunt Ed :thumbsup:
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:03 pm

It was a very eventful hunt. I'm still laughing about those damn teal :lol:
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:26 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:When I got home, it was clear she wished she had come along this morning. I wish she would have too. These would have been perfect geese for her.

And she'd have killed the two teal while you were piddling around.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:33 pm

Rick wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:When I got home, it was clear she wished she had come along this morning. I wish she would have too. These would have been perfect geese for her.

And she'd have killed the two teal while you were piddling around.

:lol:

That's what I expect one of these times we go. A teal will plop right down in the decoys for her. I'll have another close encounter with no shots fired on my part.
SpinnerMan

Postby 5 stand » Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:47 pm

What a fine morning, congrats on the band, no goose band for me (not even local)... :clap:
5 stand

Postby PorkChop » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:10 pm

Great to see your luck is turning around! It’s been a while since I’ve shot a banded honker!
PorkChop

Postby Duck Engr » Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:04 pm

Man I’ve had teal “shat” all over me as we call it but since this is a family site, we won’t speculate what we’d call what those did to you haha
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Darren » Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:34 am

5 canada's, a band and a bass

That'll work ! :thumbsup:
Darren

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:48 am

5 stand wrote:What a fine morning, congrats on the band, no goose band for me (not even local)... :clap:

They band a lot around where we hunt. About 1 out of 10 geese we get is banded. That was my 10th goose band and 9 of them were banded in Plainfield and shot in Plainfield. I do have one cool one from up near Hudson Bay.
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:42 am

Date: September 13

Hunters: Myself

Weather Conditions: Cool, partly cloudy, and calm

Waterfowl Activity: The bulk of the geese seemed to have roosted far to the southeast. Heard a decent number in the distance and they seemed to be flying out very low. Would have had a hot old time with the wood ducks. Many flew by inside 20 yards and a couple landed in the decoys.

The goose I got. I heard a group south of me that sounded maybe 300 yards away heading west. I was trying to get them excited to change course. Then I heard a single lonely honk. So I focused on that one. It would honk. I would honk. It was so low that I probably didn't see it until it was less than 100 yards making a beeline right for me. Came right to the call as we wish all of them would.

Birds By Species: 1 Canada goose

Fishing: Was slow. 4 strikes. 3 right at shoreline. 2 were those cool topwater blowups which are extra cool at less than 10'. One shook off and one missed the bait. Caught one nice bass that just slurped in the bait with barely a ripple on the surface. The bigger fish seem to have the least impressive strikes on the buzzbait.

Photo Ops:
I had the big shadow come over me. Got me excited. It even decoyed in perfectly.

PXL_20230913_123124237.jpg
SpinnerMan

Postby Duck Engr » Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:11 pm

Fine way to spend a morning! Do all of your blinds set up for fishing too or do you make sure to select the ones that do?
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:52 pm

Duck Engr wrote:Fine way to spend a morning! Do all of your blinds set up for fishing too or do you make sure to select the ones that do?

We have 3 goose fields (Blinds 8, 15, and 22) we can hunt in. Only 2 of them (15 & 22) have decent fishing and 22 is by far the best fishing. I've killed quite a few geese out of all 3, but 15 is probably the best for goose hunting. I take 22 every time it is available because it has the best fishing.

This is what it looks like from the satellite. From the blind to the east edge of the field is about 60 yards. Our hunting/fishing club is an old strip mine for limestone gravel. It is mostly a bunch of pit run channels that they mined east-west and the overburden in a series of ridges. Some are very shallow and some deeper. Some are over 10', but most are around 3-4. The channels on either side are probably 5-6' deep from west of the blind all the way east in the image. That's why there is good fishing on both sides the entire length. I have about 150 or so yards of shoreline to fish. For comparison, 15 has maybe 30 yards of shoreline to fish.

We cleared the brush and leveled the ridge to make this field. After I realized how good the fishing was, I took a brush trimmer and mower and opened the north edge along the length for shore fishing and maintain it each year. I want to take and clear the brush further on the south side so I have more shore fishing, but I haven't made time to attack with a chainsaw. I have caught quite a few fish standing at the edge of the brush and chucking a bait as far east as I can. There's probably another 50 yards of shore fishing if I got really ambitious.

Blind22.jpg
SpinnerMan

Postby 5 stand » Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:06 pm

Spinners on a roll, Geese 2 days in a row... :beer:
5 stand

Postby Deltaman » Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:38 am

Love your hunt/fish combo approach :thumbsup:
Bet it seemed odd to have Woodies landing in the field!!!
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Next

Return to Spinnerman 2023-2024