The muzzle loader thread-

Re: The muzzle loader thread-

Postby Tomkat » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:27 pm

UPDATE on cheapness method-

I have a bid in on a .50 cal in line Thompson Center Black Diamond. It uses 209 primers.
Fingers crossed, auction ends today.

$125 would be about right if it ends up grouping.
Tomkat

Postby tucker » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:41 pm

I saw an ad the other day for a new lightweight ML. I think they said it was just over 6 lbs.
With a full charge of power I'll bet that suck would stomp a mudhole in your ass. :lol:

Good luck on the auction!
tucker

Postby Tomkat » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:39 pm

I won. Feeling pretty good as I got a decent in line ML for $125.00.

Now then, what goodies will I need?
Tomkat

Postby AKPirate » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:46 pm

Tomkat wrote:I won. Feeling pretty good as I got a decent in line ML for $125.00.

TK- A possibles bag and a Junior Jehler's hat!

respected.gif
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:18 am

Tomkat wrote:I won. Feeling pretty good as I got a decent in line ML for $125.00.

TK, Ive always shot open sights, but this year I'm putting a low power scope on my Omega and giving it a try in some open field shooting.

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Tomkat » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:37 am

Funny AK!

If I get assateague to move out here we will start producing a line of buckskin rifle scabbards and skunk/racoon hats. Under the label "Lucky Spring Outfitters".

Eric, the longest shot I will have with this thing is maybe 90 yards. I am gonna wing it with open sights as I intend to build a permenat blind and that will include a very nice rifle rest :thumbsup: Did I mention I was going to put a food plot and feeder in front of the blind? :popcorn: :popcorn:

Do I need a powder measure? How about cleaning tools? One of them starters to put the bullet in? It runs on 209 primers, that was important to me.

He he he I am a cheap assa! :beer: :beer: :beer: Tickled to death to get an inline T/C for that price.
Tomkat

Postby assateague » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:20 am

Powder measure (get the clear plastic one). If its a TC, you probably won't need the primer holder, they're easy. A good cleaning jag. I keep my powder in an old chalk bottle (the kind for a chalk line). Definitely a possibles bag.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:59 am

Tom, I use pyrodex pellets, 2 of them for 100gs. I get 3 inch groups at 100 yards with that charge and a 250g sabot. I put the primers in by hand, nothing to it.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Tomkat » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:17 am

Thanks fellas. I am really excited to be entering the world of black powder and more importantly, early deer season.
Tomkat

Postby Tomkat » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:28 pm

How aboout those starter kits T/C makes?
Tomkat

Postby assateague » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:59 pm

TK, I forgot I wasn't talking about my Kentucky rifle. Like Eric, I used 777 pellets in my TC, 100 grains. I wouldn't mess with the kit. I didn't like the sabots they come with. The Hornady 200gr shot the best from mine, with 100 grains of powder. And just but a cleaning jag and you're set.
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:45 pm

This muzzle loader thread should be stickied or made into a sub forum within the rifle forum. Would be good for muzzle loader stuff.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:51 pm

rebelp74 wrote:This muzzle loader thread should be stickied or made into a sub forum within the rifle forum. Would be good for muzzle loader stuff.

I use a muzzleloader all year for deer. Love them. Too bad I didn't go out and shoot a couple this year.

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Tomkat » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:38 pm

Well how about cleaning supplies? Patches?
Tomkat

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:44 pm

Tomkat wrote:Well how about cleaning supplies? Patches?

I use the TC stuff. The blue T17 solvent and lube is amazing IMO. I take my bore brush and put it into my cordless drill and clean between every shot when I'm at the range. After that run a patch through, then a grease patch through. I usually put about double the grease in for better groups and easier loading. The grease smells like BenGay. Takes about 2 minutes between each shot.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:45 pm

Zzzzzzz. Zzzzzzz. :lol:
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:49 pm

You don't need patches if you are going to shoot sabots(you'd be crazy not to)
For sabots I usually shoot the 250gr because they sell them at Walmart and my shots aren't any longer than 100 yards. I'm going to try and do some longer shooting this year with the lighter gr sabots.

Lead balls are fun to shoot at the range, but once you see what they do at the range, you probably won't want to risk a big buck over having fun :lol:
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Tomkat » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:10 pm

Good to know. I was wondering about sabots. Eric will you describe how you clean your gun? You have about convi ced me to use pellets and sabots. Lol
Tomkat

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:38 pm

Tomkat wrote:Good to know. I was wondering about sabots. Eric will you describe how you clean your gun? You have about convi ced me to use pellets and sabots. Lol

Like I said, befor you get started, get a cordless screw gun and put the cleaning rod in it with the wire brush on it. I pull the breech plug and spray some solvent into it, then put the drill on high and run it through slowly about 4 or 5 times. I then take a cleaning patch and put it over the wire brush and run it through until it comes out without much fouling on it(usually 2 or 3 patches) Next I take a patch and load it with bore lube and run that through. Put the breech plug back in, load it up, and shoot. Do it a few times and it gets pretty fast. I clean mine after every shot. If you don't, it takes a ton of pressure to cram the sabot down the barrel, fouling builds up like crazy and can cause non-fires, and it becomes less accurate down range with every shot.

The first time I got my Omega, I went to site it in and I heard of guys not cleaning theirs at all for like multiple seasons. So there I was trying to sight it in, shot after shot, getting worse and worse. Did some reading and went back the next day, cleaning between shots. Within 5 shots it was dialed in and I was hitting a paper plate every shot at 100 yards with open sights. Made a huge difference. You will enjoy it, I know I do. Typically, if you shoot anything with it..it's not going to move after the shot.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Tomkat » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:44 am

Thank you Eric, that is good advice. I have a drill so I am halfway there, and I am pretty good about cleaning my guns.
Tomkat

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:46 am

Tomkat wrote:Thank you Eric, that is good advice. I have a drill so I am halfway there, and I am pretty good about cleaning my guns.

Sorry that I'm no wordsmith, so a good write up will be hard to get out of me. Possibly a video though.

Last edited by Eric Haynes on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Tomkat » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:54 am

rebelp74 wrote:

Zzzzzzz. Zzzzzzz. :lol:

Wake up coon ass!!!
Tomkat

Postby assateague » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:29 am

I would get a scope. I had a 3-9 on mine, and it was nice. Just because you don't THINK you'll ever have a long shot doesn't mean you WON'T. And that gun is good out to 200, easy. Be a shame to have to pass on a nice deer due to lack of a scope.
assateague

Postby Tomkat » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:10 am

assateague wrote:I would get a scope. I had a 3-9 on mine, and it was nice. Just because you don't THINK you'll ever have a long shot doesn't mean you WON'T. And that gun is good out to 200, easy. Be a shame to have to pass on a nice deer due to lack of a scope.

I have an old 3 x 9 tasco laying around I can use. And there is no doubt that my patterns will improve.
Tomkat

Postby jehler » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:06 pm

How do you shoot te second and third deer with a muzzle loader?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Tomkat » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:10 pm

jehler wrote:How do you shoot te second and third deer with a muzzle loader?

I turn to Jarbos dad and say 'CHOOT 'EM"!
Tomkat

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:51 pm

Let em line up before shoot.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:28 pm

Tomkat wrote:

I turn to Jarbos dad and say 'CHOOT 'EM"!

The old man is hardcore! He might jump out of the blind on its back with a knife! You should ask him bout that story.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:32 pm

Ive shot back to back deer with a ML. Usually after the first shot, the other deer will run 50 yards then come back to investigate. Olenty of time to reload.

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Tomkat » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:35 pm

I went to walmart today and noticed they had all of their muzzleloading a accessories on clearance.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362263515.915176.jpg

I tried to call AT for advice but got his voice mail.

So I ended up buying one of everything, including three packs of bullets and pellets.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362263599.278020.jpg

I have now officially spent more on the extra crap than I paid for the gun. This is reminding me of buying a dog.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362263737.280904.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Tomkat

PreviousNext

Return to Rifle Forum