Anyone ever actually built a gun?

Anyone ever actually built a gun?

Postby JustinNH » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:14 pm

Just curious if anyone here has built a gun... Not like customized an AR... but like an 80% receiver blank and a parts kit or something similar.

I've been seeing a lot of parts kits online and did some looking into them... could be interesting
JustinNH

Re: Anyone ever actually built a gun?

Postby assateague » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:37 pm

I saw those 80% lowers. Seems fairly straight forward- drill a few holes and then file out the blank. But every place I've seen is even sold out of those.
assateague

Postby JustinNH » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:07 pm

Yeah, when I came across the idea a few weeks ago, all AR lowers were sold out and most AK were. I may or may not have picked up an AKM blank, but all reasonably priced parts kits for stamped receivers are on back order and the milled kits are a lot of extra steps (and parts) to get a stamped receiver to work with it.

Finding an AKM barrel may be next to impossible though. Can't find any surplus in stock and even the US machined ones are out of stock, never mind extremely expensive.

Hopefully companies start to catch up some time soon. I know I have things on back order from Feb all the way through June for some things.

Who knows
JustinNH

Postby assateague » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:13 pm

If it does work out, it'll be a cheap gun, unless all the other parts go through the roof. Which could very well happen. Hell, I'd just be glad to find some .22 rounds.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:14 pm

Send one2many a pm

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Goldfish » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:37 pm

I can't imagine companies that make that stuff are going to make huge surplus amounts of products right now because if something stupid came down the pipeline, they'd have a bunch of expensive paper weights.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby JustinNH » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:28 pm

assateague wrote:If it does work out, it'll be a cheap gun, unless all the other parts go through the roof. Which could very well happen. Hell, I'd just be glad to find some .22 rounds.

Yeah, providing the barrels become available, I would imagine $300-400 depending on kit and barrel. A few years ago, a new AK would be that price... now if you can even find them, the cheapest bottom of the line one I saw in a shop was $750.

Eric Haynes wrote:Send one2many a pm

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2

I'll keep that in mind :thumbsup:

Goldfish wrote:I can't imagine companies that make that stuff are going to make huge surplus amounts of products right now because if something stupid came down the pipeline, they'd have a bunch of expensive paper weights.

Could go either way...

Technically, they are sold as nothing more than a paperweight... so there may be some kind of loophole. I believe there will be some legislation that will impact us, but who knows the extent of it. I find it highly doubtful that it will be all of what they say.Probably some kind of half-assed compromise that makes everyone look 'good' yet still have an impact on us.

Doesn't mean I am not worried though
JustinNH

Postby JustinNH » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:35 pm

Another one is the PPS-43... Kits for $80-90... barrels $50-150... upper receiver $50-150... Trunnion... $75.

If you find the right places and things are in stock, you can weld one for $300-- as long as you change the bolt/trigger to be semi-auto.

Though I still prefer the AK, which can even be done with screw sets and not rivets if needed (plus I do not have a welder and ALL building must be done by the owner...so it reads).
JustinNH

Postby Goldfish » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:52 pm

Or made out of a shovel

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Westie25 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:49 am

I have exploded blueprints for an AR. Been considering machining one for several years. Could do everything except the barrel.
Westie25

Postby R. Chapman » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:22 pm

I've got a couple 870s that I built into alienated trap guns. Will post pics later.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby RonE » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:05 pm

I've build an AR15 lower and bought a complete upper and I've built a LRZS out of a Mouse N Nougat 91/30
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Return to Rifle Forum