Rifle dilemma

Re: Rifle dilemma

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:23 am

What are you planning to buy?
Cover your ears, Darlin'
User avatar
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter
 
Posts: 7164
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:59 am
Location: The Zoo

Re: Rifle dilemma

Postby assateague » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:55 am

This one

http://www.opticsplanet.com/armasight-opmod-gen1rs-1-0-limited-edition-gen-1-night-vision-riflescope-3x-power.html


I should be able to get about $250 for the NVGs, so it won't cost me a ton. These are the binos I have, which are fun, but every time I use them, I then need to get a flashlight and try to hold it under the gun. Time to cut out the middleman.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/yukon-digital-night-vision-ranger-28041.html
User avatar
assateague
 
Posts: 23627
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Rifle dilemma

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:08 am

I know virtually nothing about NV equipment.

What kind of performance can a guy expect from G1 technology??
Cover your ears, Darlin'
User avatar
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter
 
Posts: 7164
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:59 am
Location: The Zoo

Re: Rifle dilemma

Postby assateague » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:38 am

That's what mine are right now. I wish I could take a picture, but can't right now. I have RCA cables (the binos I have plug into a TV or monitor, so you don't have to hold them), and maybe I'll try it. It's about like a black and white TV, with the contrast a little high. I've found Gen1 to be better for further distances. When I turn on the IR spotlight, it will light up trees 200 yards away, and be very clear, but when I try to see into the garden (about 40 yards), it's too close, and I have to use the passive IR, which creates shadows. If it's over 100 yards or so, it looks just like daylight, only black and white. The green tint starts to come into play in, I think, Gen1+. I am confident that I could see and shoot any varmint within 150 yards with a Gen1 scope. I think Brew has the same scope I'm looking to get, and may have used it.
User avatar
assateague
 
Posts: 23627
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Rifle dilemma

Postby BrewGUN » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:43 am

assateague wrote:That's what mine are right now. I wish I could take a picture, but can't right now. I have RCA cables (the binos I have plug into a TV or monitor, so you don't have to hold them), and maybe I'll try it. It's about like a black and white TV, with the contrast a little high. I've found Gen1 to be better for further distances. When I turn on the IR spotlight, it will light up trees 200 yards away, and be very clear, but when I try to see into the garden (about 40 yards), it's too close, and I have to use the passive IR, which creates shadows. If it's over 100 yards or so, it looks just like daylight, only black and white. The green tint starts to come into play in, I think, Gen1+. I am confident that I could see and shoot any varmint within 150 yards with a Gen1 scope. I think Brew has the same scope I'm looking to get, and may have used it.

http://www.opsgear.com/index/page/produ ... MgodoiEAfg
This is the one I have, I got it through gander mnt though so it came with the IR illuminator. I got it zeroed in but never had a chance to use it in actual hunting last year. A lot of fun to play with though, cant wait to get to use it.
User avatar
BrewGUN
 
Posts: 2284
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:52 pm
Location: Elk Rapids, MI

Re: Rifle dilemma

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:03 pm

No ****?

So, $400 or thereabouts for the sight - what's bail run nowadays?

I'm thinking for around $2500 I should be able to head straight to court.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
User avatar
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter
 
Posts: 7164
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:59 am
Location: The Zoo

Re: Rifle dilemma

Postby assateague » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:09 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:No ****?

So, $400 or thereabouts for the sight - what's bail run nowadays?

I'm thinking for around $2500 I should be able to head straight to court.


Yep. Granted, you can spend a lot more for better optics, but I'm not coughing up $4,000 to pretend I'm a navy seal. If I can reach out over 100 yards in the pitch dark with my .22, that's plenty.

I do wish the scopes ran on AA batteries, though, like my binos. The scopes all seem to take one of those high-dollar 123 batteries that don't last very long.
User avatar
assateague
 
Posts: 23627
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Rifle dilemma

Postby Tomkat » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:05 pm

With all due respect, what in the **** are you going to do with a .22 rigged for night shooting?
User avatar
Tomkat
 
Posts: 6866
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:46 pm

Re: Rifle dilemma

Postby JGUN » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:10 pm

Tomkat wrote:With all due respect, what in the **** are you going to do with a .22 rigged for night shooting?

Whatever the well he wants! :lol:
User avatar
JGUN
 
Posts: 2093
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:39 am
Location: Traverse City, Michigan

Re: Rifle dilemma

Postby Tomkat » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:11 pm

JGUN wrote:
Tomkat wrote:With all due respect, what in the **** are you going to do with a .22 rigged for night shooting?

Whatever the well he wants! :lol:


And an example of that would be.....
User avatar
Tomkat
 
Posts: 6866
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:46 pm

Re: Rifle dilemma

Postby assateague » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:13 pm

Primarily for rabbits in the garden. Primarily.
User avatar
assateague
 
Posts: 23627
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Rifle dilemma

Postby Tomkat » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:13 pm

assateague wrote:Primarily for rabbits in the garden. Primarily.


It is legal to hunt coyotes at night here, but I never saw the good of it as you cant use a light projecting device.
User avatar
Tomkat
 
Posts: 6866
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:46 pm

Re: Rifle dilemma

Postby assateague » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:16 pm

It's legal here, too, and you can use a spotlight for several months. But why bother, when I will have a ninja device?
User avatar
assateague
 
Posts: 23627
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Rifle dilemma

Postby Tomkat » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:21 pm

I meant to ask you, are you bringing your shotgun in Dec? Do you need to borrow one?

I have one that has actually killed a pintail, you can try that one if you like.
User avatar
Tomkat
 
Posts: 6866
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:46 pm

Re: Rifle dilemma

Postby assateague » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:48 pm

No, I'm bringing mine. The trusty 870 needs to be in on the killing of a sprig, should it happen. It feels as badly as I do.
User avatar
assateague
 
Posts: 23627
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Rifle dilemma

Postby Tomkat » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:23 pm

assateague wrote:No, I'm bringing mine. The trusty 870 needs to be in on the killing of a sprig, should it happen. It feels as badly as I do.


Cool. I currently have an 870 wingmaster I am thinking about selling. great guns
User avatar
Tomkat
 
Posts: 6866
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:46 pm

Re: Rifle dilemma

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:20 pm

assateague wrote:It's legal here, too, and you can use a spotlight for several months. But why bother, when I will have a ninja device?


You should put it on a .17HMR, then it would be super-ninjy.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
User avatar
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter
 
Posts: 7164
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:59 am
Location: The Zoo

Re: Rifle dilemma

Postby Tomkat » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:30 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:
assateague wrote:It's legal here, too, and you can use a spotlight for several months. But why bother, when I will have a ninja device?


You should put it on a .17HMR, then it would be super-ninjy.


Ever shot the .17 Winchester? Looked at the ballistics on it?
User avatar
Tomkat
 
Posts: 6866
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:46 pm

Re: Rifle dilemma

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:42 pm

I briefly glanced at them. No in depth study though. I just don't have a practical application for such a round, so never gave it much thought.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
User avatar
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter
 
Posts: 7164
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:59 am
Location: The Zoo

Re: Rifle dilemma

Postby Tomkat » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:46 pm

I shot one the other day...it was pretty nice.

Practical application- for me, the report was pretty quiet. Ammo is pretty cheap, and the ballistics were favorable, compare it to the HMR some time.
User avatar
Tomkat
 
Posts: 6866
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:46 pm

Re: Rifle dilemma

Postby goodkarmarising » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:37 pm

User avatar
goodkarmarising
 
Posts: 2136
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:56 am

Re: Rifle dilemma

Postby Tomkat » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:29 pm

goodkarmarising wrote:http://finance.yahoo.com/news/-27-500-gun-hits-targets-at-1-000-yards-180751722.html

My next gun


No, your next gun will involve snow geese conservation season...
User avatar
Tomkat
 
Posts: 6866
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:46 pm

Re: Rifle dilemma

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:21 am

Tomkat wrote:
JGUN wrote:
Tomkat wrote:With all due respect, what in the **** are you going to do with a .22 rigged for night shooting?

Whatever the well he wants! :lol:


And an example of that would be.....

Ninja'in things that need ninja'd
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
User avatar
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter
 
Posts: 17344
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:19 pm
Location: OREGON

Re: Rifle dilemma

Postby Bulldog0156 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:28 pm

Well I went in and ordered the .243 today. I wasn't really planning on it, but the price was the best I have seen and the distributor had a couple in stock. Might as well get it while it's available.
User avatar
Bulldog0156
 
Posts: 2547
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:04 am
Location: Monfuckintana

Re: Rifle dilemma

Postby RonE » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:48 pm

Tomkat wrote:With all due respect, what in the **** are you going to do with a .22 rigged for night shooting?

Maybe he's planning on shooting **** at night. Most states allow calling and shooting varmints at night. I wouldn't even suggest that anyone would shoot a deer at night.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of **** by the clean end."
User avatar
RonE
 
Posts: 3379
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:33 pm
Location: Rockport, Texas

Previous

Return to Rifle Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests