New rifle choices

Re: New rifle choices

Postby R. Chapman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:32 am

Tomkat wrote:
Recalls are used for inferior and defective products. I don't own a single Remington rifle.

FS you should Google Remington Liability law suites related to their trigger systems.

Remember though that there is usually some kind of user error/fault.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:44 am

R. Chapman wrote:For the barrel from a maker like Shillen? What would be needed is an action (Preferably a 700/1500 action) or a a Mauser style like a Ruger, Winchester etc. The gunsmithing that would be required (assuming you don't have an action wrench and a barrel vice) is for the smith to take the old barrel off, and install the new barrel. What he might want and have to do is true up the action first though, just so the barrel sits flat to the receiver/action. He'll then install the barrel to the action and you essentially have a new gun without getting rid of a gun. You could also put a decent trigger in it. Oh forgot to mention that the gunsmith may have to cut the chamber if you buy a barrel blank. Nothing wrong with that but it does cost some more money. Then you can do a lot of other improvements to the rifle yourself.

Now if you go the factory route, there are many things you can do to improve rifle accuracy. Glass bedding the action and/or recoil lug, pillar bedding the action screw holes, free floating the barrel channel, Cutting a better crown (this can be a gunsmiths job or your job depending on the crown) and putting in a better trigger.

Here's a few links to some barrel makers. Definitely consider the first idea:

http://www.bartleinbarrels.com/

http://www.rifle-barrels.net/

http://www.hartbarrels.com/

http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/

http://www.riflebarrels.com/

http://pac-nor.com/

http://www.shilen.com/

http://ershawbarrels.com/

http://www.mcgowenbarrel.com/about.htm

All of these barrel makers are quality. And a barrel runs anywhere from $300-$600. They're all good.

I would be starting from square one. Gun I am selling is a shotgun. If I bought a shilen barrel and a 1500 or 700 action who would make a reasonable priced action that will do the job. Again, I'm not going for benchrest accuracy so I don't plan to spend near the money either. A factory rifle will be able to do more than I probably ever will but it would be a neat project during off season and something to hold on to down the road.

@DeadEye_Dan
Dan, you have anything to add here? Seems you have been down this road if I am thinking correctly.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby R. Chapman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:53 am

Flightstopper wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:For the barrel from a maker like Shillen? What would be needed is an action (Preferably a 700/1500 action) or a a Mauser style like a Ruger, Winchester etc. The gunsmithing that would be required (assuming you don't have an action wrench and a barrel vice) is for the smith to take the old barrel off, and install the new barrel. What he might want and have to do is true up the action first though, just so the barrel sits flat to the receiver/action. He'll then install the barrel to the action and you essentially have a new gun without getting rid of a gun. You could also put a decent trigger in it. Oh forgot to mention that the gunsmith may have to cut the chamber if you buy a barrel blank. Nothing wrong with that but it does cost some more money. Then you can do a lot of other improvements to the rifle yourself.

Now if you go the factory route, there are many things you can do to improve rifle accuracy. Glass bedding the action and/or recoil lug, pillar bedding the action screw holes, free floating the barrel channel, Cutting a better crown (this can be a gunsmiths job or your job depending on the crown) and putting in a better trigger.

Here's a few links to some barrel makers. Definitely consider the first idea:

http://www.bartleinbarrels.com/

http://www.rifle-barrels.net/

http://www.hartbarrels.com/

http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/

http://www.riflebarrels.com/

http://pac-nor.com/

http://www.shilen.com/

http://ershawbarrels.com/

http://www.mcgowenbarrel.com/about.htm

All of these barrel makers are quality. And a barrel runs anywhere from $300-$600. They're all good.

I would be starting from square one. Gun I am selling is a shotgun. If I bought a shilen barrel and a 1500 or 700 action who would make a reasonable priced action that will do the job. Again, I'm not going for benchrest accuracy so I don't plan to spend near the money either. A factory rifle will be able to do more than I probably ever will but it would be a neat project during off season and something to hold on to down the road.

@DeadEye_Dan
Dan, you have anything to add here? Seems you have been down this road if I am thinking correctly.

You'll get a lot of money wrapped up in an action buying one alone. It would be easier to find a beat up 700 or something for dirt cheap and just keep the action. Get a new stock etc. etc.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:54 am

Buy a Savage or a Ruger in the caliber of your choice and move on.

I've rebarreled a few rifles, and it's way more hassle than it's worth for a gun you plan to shoot a few deer/hogs/yotes with per year.

I'm becoming a huge fan of Vortexx optics as well.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby R. Chapman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:57 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote:Buy a Savage or a Ruger in the caliber of your choice and move on.

I've rebarreled a few rifles, and it's way more hassle than it's worth for a gun you plan to shoot a few deer/hogs/yotes with per year.

X10 of the Vortex. Has to be the best money for the glass ever.
R. Chapman

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:04 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:Buy a Savage or a Ruger in the caliber of your choice and move on.

:thumbsup: What I needed to reel me back in to reality.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby jarbo03 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:14 pm

X 2. Solid advice
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby sws002 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:50 pm

Spot on.

Although I would suggest going with Savage if down the road you think you might consider rebarreling, nothing available for the Ruger American, and I don't think its a solid enough action that people will ever pursue it as an option for custom built guns.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:57 pm

Just went and fondled the trophy Hunter xp package, 116. Liked the action and all but could definitely see sticking it in a different stock down the road. All in all looks like a great gun to get going with. Thanks fellas.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Redbeard » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:11 pm

Tomkat wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:Can we stay on topic with this one please? Had a good thread going and I have no intention of getting either of those calibers.
FS what do you think of the suggestions I have made? Any questions or concerns?
HAHAHA
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Tomkat » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:22 pm

Redbeard wrote:
Tomkat wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:Can we stay on topic with this one please? Had a good thread going and I have no intention of getting either of those calibers.
FS what do you think of the suggestions I have made? Any questions or concerns?
HAHAHA

He he he!!!

Funny huh?
Tomkat

Postby Tomkat » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:24 pm

R. Chapman wrote:
Tomkat wrote:
Recalls are used for inferior and defective products. I don't own a single Remington rifle.

FS you should Google Remington Liability law suites related to their trigger systems.

Did you read the actual law suites?
Tomkat

New rifle choices

Postby Redbeard » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:26 pm

jarbo03 wrote:

X 2. Solid advice
no joke. Flight's little purchase was about to take a turn for the worst
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby R. Chapman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:49 pm

Tomkat wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:
Tomkat wrote:

I've looked deep into it. When any of those rifles were sent back to Remington, when they took a look at the trigger assembly, there was always a problem with maintenance from the operator. Same thing will happen to a Ruger, Winchester, Savage, Marlin etc. Take care of your firearm and it'll work for you.
R. Chapman

Postby sws002 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:06 pm

R. Chapman wrote:
Tomkat wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:
Tomkat wrote:

I've looked deep into it. When any of those rifles were sent back to Remington, when they took a look at the trigger assembly, there was always a problem with maintenance from the operator. Same thing will happen to a Ruger, Winchester, Savage, Marlin etc. Take care of your firearm and it'll work for you.

The operator error issue was only concern with your precious Walker triggers. The recall on the X-Mark Pro was JUST issued, not sure how you have all this advance knowledge of every gun being sent in. Regardless, lack of maintenance should never be an issue when talking about trigger groups. I'd be willing to bet about 95% of all rifles have never had their trigger groups cleaned, why is it that Remington is the only one with issues? Because they fucking suck, that's why.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

New rifle choices

Postby Tomkat » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:18 pm

sws002 wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:
Tomkat wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:
Tomkat wrote:

The operator error issue was only concern with your precious Walker triggers. The recall on the X-Mark Pro was JUST issued, not sure how you have all this advance knowledge of every gun being sent in. Regardless, lack of maintenance should never be an issue when talking about trigger groups. I'd be willing to bet about 95% of all rifles have never had their trigger groups cleaned, why is it that Remington is the only one with issues? Because they fucking suck, that's why.

Yeah, thats what I was getting at.

The only misfire I ever had from a center fire rifle was from a 700ADL chambered in .243 I made an iffy shot on a coyote at 160 yards. He was flopping around and I wanted to give him a finisher. Lo and behold the famous 3 rings of steel failed. That bolt action jammed. Luckily the yote expired right away.

I sold that gun at a loss the next week. Last remington rifle I ever owned. They have all been Ruger Winchester and mostly Savage ever since.
Tomkat

Postby R. Chapman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:24 pm

It's a stupid idea to not clean a trigger every year or so.
R. Chapman

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:36 pm

I've never cleaned any of my rifles.
WisconsinWaterfowler

Postby Tomkat » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:47 pm

R. Chapman wrote:It's a stupid idea to not clean a trigger every year or so.

Why is that, RMFC?

I understand why actions and bores should be cleaned, but this is the first time I have ever heard of this, much less heard it called a stupid idea.

I await your response with anticipation.
Tomkat

Postby RonE » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:10 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Just went and fondled the trophy Hunter xp package, 116. Liked the action and all but could definitely see sticking it in a different stock down the road. All in all looks like a great gun to get going with. Thanks fellas.

Probably would make a great gun for $740 and you can probably get someone to order it for you for a little less. Nikon scope that comes with it is not the greatest but for sure, not bad. Needs only a sling and perhaps a bipod depending on what you are hunting.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby sws002 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:13 pm

RonE wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:Just went and fondled the trophy Hunter xp package, 116. Liked the action and all but could definitely see sticking it in a different stock down the road. All in all looks like a great gun to get going with. Thanks fellas.

Probably would make a great gun for $740 and you can probably get someone to order it for you for a little less. Nikon scope that comes with it is not the greatest but for sure, not bad. Needs only a sling and perhaps a bipod depending on what you are hunting.

I'm pretty sure we sell them for somewhere around $639. Nice thing is it is a standard 10/110 action, so there are a plethora of aftermarket stocks that will fit it nicely.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby R. Chapman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:19 pm

Tomkat wrote:

Why is that, RMFC?

I understand why actions and bores should be cleaned, but this is the first time I have ever heard of this, much less heard it called a stupid idea.

Over time, you get dirt, oil, dust particles, rust, water etc. You don't want anything like that it the trigger group. A couple things can happen, you get a bunch of grime and dirt where the sear engages andyou can either have the gun fire with a lighter touch to the trigger than normal or the the gunk locks up the sear that the gun won't fire. I'd hate to have a big bull pop out to me either making a poor shot because the gun's sear released to soon or have the trigger group locked up and not be able to shoot. That's just me though, here, you only get a chance at the same elk once.
R. Chapman

Postby jarbo03 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:19 pm

TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:24 pm

jarbo03 wrote:Buds $471.00, the 243 is $446.00

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... M-08+NIKON

Damn!
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:25 pm

RonE wrote:

Agreed
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby sws002 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:32 pm

R. Chapman wrote:
Tomkat wrote:

Why is that, RMFC?

Over time, you get dirt, oil, dust particles, rust, water etc. You don't want anything like that it the trigger group. A couple things can happen, you get a bunch of grime and dirt where the sear engages andyou can either have the gun fire with a lighter touch to the trigger than normal or the the gunk locks up the sear that the gun won't fire. I'd hate to have a big bull pop out to me either making a poor shot because the gun's sear released to soon or have the trigger group locked up and not be able to shoot. That's just me though, here, you only get a chance at the same elk once.

We aren't talking shotguns Rex, a rifle's trigger group simply does not accumulate shit like you think it does.

I'll say it again, but this time I'll pose a different question. I'd be VERY confident in saying that 95% of rifles NEVER have their trigger groups cleaned in their lifetime, but perform admirably. Why is it that Remington is the only one who has ever issued a recall regarding their triggers (due to as you claim "poor maintenance issues")? I'll take it a step further, and point out to you that it is very easy for Remington to recall firearms and claim that it was user error, instead of coming out and saying they made an inferior product. Does this make sense to you? Take a look at Remington's track record in the past 15-20 years, everything they have touched has been garbage. Operator error, HA! The only operator error is from the good people in Ilion NY turning out this garbage. This recall will cost Remington MILLIONS of dollars, do you think they are willing to spend that coin because people can't clean their guns properly? Why not just put out an ad campaign telling people how to clean their guns?
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby sws002 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:34 pm

Flightstopper wrote:

Damn!

Not a bad price, but if you haven't purchased a gun online before, realize that you are probably looking at transfer fees on both ends. I don't know if Bud's charges or not, but I know we charge $30 for every transfer in and out, and we are one of the cheaper ones, so figure on $60 on top of that price minimum (if Bud's charges shipping).
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby R. Chapman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:43 pm

Not to get in a pissing match but it's amazing the amount of shit that can get into a rifles trigger group. I do understand what you are saying. Now what posse me off the most is when serious accidents happen no matter the make, the blame is put on the trigger and safety. You can't rely on a safety; it's a mechanism, mechanisms break. As the commandments of safety proceed...
R. Chapman

Postby jarbo03 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:44 pm

sws002 wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:

Damn!

Not a bad price, but if you haven't purchased a gun online before, realize that you are probably looking at transfer fees on both ends. I don't know if Bud's charges or not, but I know we charge $30 for every transfer in and out, and we are one of the cheaper ones, so figure on $60 on top of that price minimum (if Bud's charges shipping).

Price includes shipping, and it isn't hard to find someone to do transfers for $20. I've bought many guns from Buds, hassle free.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby sws002 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:47 pm

jarbo03 wrote:
sws002 wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:

Damn!

Price includes shipping, and it isn't hard to find someone to do transfers for $20. I've bought many guns from Buds, hassle free.

Ya, they seem to do good business, we get quite a few in from them, just never bought one myself so I didn't know if they charge or not. Probably don't have to pay sales tax either I would imagine?
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

PreviousNext

Return to Rifle Forum