New rifle choices

Re: New rifle choices

Postby R. Chapman » Sat May 03, 2014 12:04 pm

Redbeard wrote:Yes please everyone hush...I wanna hear what Rex has to say

I've already spoken my piece.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Sat May 03, 2014 7:05 pm

Tomkat wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:It's never bothered me whether is or not.

I believe that the afore mentioned jam coyote hunting would not have occurred with a mauser type bolt face.

There is a reason the Model 70 is preferred by PH's in Africa and they often use pre 64 Model 70's when they were not using drillings or other break action type rifles.

RMFC its great that you love Big Green. Just be willing to admit the facts of their design flaws to your self.

I would never own another Remington. But I don't have to shoot your game, you do that. Your a big boy.

Ignoring the facts does not change the facts.

My dad has a pre 64 model 70 30-06 from my grandpa. My grandpa used to be able to shoot his empty casings without breaking the sides from 100 yds. One time he set the casind up to where the opening in the neck was facing mim, and didn't mess up the neck at all, and came straight out the back of the bullet. Now that takes a lot of skill on his part, but it has to be a hell of a rifle to repeat that.
assateague wrote:Put that in your huff-n-puffer and smoke it, shootin' boy.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby Flightstopper » Sat May 03, 2014 7:19 pm

ducks~n~bucks wrote:
Tomkat wrote:

I believe that the afore mentioned jam coyote hunting would not have occurred with a mauser type bolt face.

There is a reason the Model 70 is preferred by PH's in Africa and they often use pre 64 Model 70's when they were not using drillings or other break action type rifles.

RMFC its great that you love Big Green. Just be willing to admit the facts of their design flaws to your self.

I would never own another Remington. But I don't have to shoot your game, you do that. Your a big boy.

My dad has a pre 64 model 70 30-06 from my grandpa. My grandpa used to be able to shoot his empty casings without breaking the sides from 100 yds. One time he set the casind up to where the opening in the neck was facing mim, and didn't mess up the neck at all, and came straight out the back of the bullet. Now that takes a lot of skill on his part, but it has to be a hell of a rifle to repeat that.

Sounds like a good story at least.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby BrewGUN » Sat May 03, 2014 7:21 pm

ducks~n~bucks wrote:
Tomkat wrote:

just gonna come out and say BS, sounds like gramps had some good stories though. To put a bullet back through a case neck with messing it up is impossible.
BrewGUN

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Sat May 03, 2014 7:37 pm

BrewGUN wrote:
ducks~n~bucks wrote:
Tomkat wrote:

just gonna come out and say BS, sounds like gramps had some good stories though. To put a bullet back through a case neck with messing it up is impossible.

This is a story from my uncle so the truth could have been stretched. I do have casings that he shot from the side though, so I know that much is true.
assateague wrote:Put that in your huff-n-puffer and smoke it, shootin' boy.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby one2many » Sat May 03, 2014 8:38 pm

Tomkat wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:It's a stupid idea to not clean a trigger every year or so.

Why is that, RMFC?

I understand why actions and bores should be cleaned, but this is the first time I have ever heard of this, much less heard it called a stupid idea.

I await your response with anticipation.

im not getting in the middle of all of this. i flush mine all out with ronsonol lighter fluid. that is Jewell's recommendation.
of course im talking Benchrest and high end varmint rifles. not everyday ground pounders.

as for OP buy a Savage but hunt around for the best price
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
one2many

Postby Flightstopper » Sat May 03, 2014 8:53 pm

one2many wrote:
Tomkat wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:It's a stupid idea to not clean a trigger every year or so.

Why is that, RMFC?

I understand why actions and bores should be cleaned, but this is the first time I have ever heard of this, much less heard it called a stupid idea.

I await your response with anticipation.

im not getting in the middle of all of this. i flush mine all out with ronsonol lighter fluid. that is Jewell's recommendation.
of course im talking Benchrest and high end varmint rifles. not everyday ground pounders.

as for OP buy a Savage but hunt around for the best price

:thumbsup:
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:07 pm

Tikka T3 Lite. Bought one a few years back in 22-250 to serve as a "walk around" coyote calling rifle. Light, slick, accurate, great trigger. It's a very well rounded rig. Love that gun. If it would have been the first rifle I'd ever purchased, the rest of my centerfire bolt action rifles would probably have been Tikka's too.
Last edited by clampdaddy on Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clampdaddy

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:17 pm

I shoulda bought one when they were real cheap. Always fondled them but never dropped the cash.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:20 pm

Flightstopper wrote:I shoulda bought one when they were real cheap. Always fondled them but never dropped the cash.

I haven't priced one lately. When I got mine the stainless Tikka only cost about $50 more than a stainless Savage.
clampdaddy

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:22 pm

When I was working at sportmans about 6 years ago I think they were about $450. That was before any kind of discount I could have pulled. Thanks for reminding me I sucked! :lol:
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Rifle Forum