NFA wait times?

NFA wait times?

Postby Olly » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:57 pm

I've never applied for an NFA stamp. What are the wait times right now? Does anyone know?

The idea of paying $200 just so I can have a barrel shorter than 16" really pisses me off but I've been wanting to do a SBR AR build and I have two brand new lowers burning holes in my wallet.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Re: NFA wait times?

Postby Bad17 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:07 pm

Don't know. But if you are building it yourself why do you want Uncle Sam to know that there is a chance that you could even have something that requires that.
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby Olly » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:12 pm

Bad17 wrote:Don't know. But if you are building it yourself why do you want Uncle Sam to know that there is a chance that you could even have something that requires that.

Sadly the fear of getting caught and having my rights removed for the rest of my life is a lot to bare. I'd love to have the balls to just build my SBR and say fuck the man but that's risking a lot. If you were caught I'd be discharged from the military and would be disenfranchised and never be able to own a gun again.

Sucks balls and makes me feel like a bitch.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Bad17 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:15 pm

Lol well that's what you have to weigh. Completely understandable but what are the odds of being caught. I would hate to be caught with one.
Bad17

Postby Olly » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:17 pm

If I were shooting on my own property I would be way more inclined to try and get away with it but going to the local range all the time leaves a lot more exposure.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Bad17 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:20 pm

Most definitely. I thought you were moving into that house out in the county.
Bad17

Postby Bad17 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:21 pm

If that's the case then you can shoot at home.
Bad17

Postby Olly » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:23 pm

Bad17 wrote:Most definitely. I thought you were moving into that house out in the county.

Yea that fell through. My co-worker just decided to sell the house instead of renting it. I'm really looking forward to retiring from the CG and owning my own property just for small shit like this.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Bad17 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:24 pm

Most definitely. Why wait till you retire. Buy the land now why your young and can afford it. Then build you a place on it later.
Bad17

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:27 pm

Build a pistol and buy and extra but stock...
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Olly » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:28 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:Build a pistol and buy and extra but stock...

Not off the table of ideas.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Olly » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:32 pm

Bad17 wrote:Most definitely. Why wait till you retire. Buy the land now why your young and can afford it. Then build you a place on it later.

Don't know where I want to settle down yet. Going to try my hardest to get Alaska as a next unit and it will probably be there.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:33 pm

Olly wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:Build a pistol and buy and extra but stock...

Not off the table of ideas.

That's what I'd do. I probably wouldn't put the stock on it until absolutely necessary for whatever reason. Especially since you got two, build a pistol and rifle.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Bad17 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:33 pm

Sweet. I was gonna do the same and live off the grid. But I met my wife and she changed my mind.
Bad17

Postby Olly » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:34 pm

I really wish more states would follow Montana's example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montana_Fi ... reedom_Act
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:39 pm

Olly wrote:I really wish more states would follow Montana's example.

That is awesome.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Olly » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:47 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Olly wrote:I really wish more states would follow Montana's example.

That is awesome.

I believe a few other states have done this too. Alaska being one.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Olly » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:54 pm

I might just go with a Sig brace and build a "pistol".

http://www.amazon.com/Stabilizing-Steal ... sb15+brace
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Bad17 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:10 pm

Can't wait to see it
Bad17

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:26 pm

Olly wrote:I might just go with a Sig brace and build a "pistol".

I was gonna bring that up. Messed around with one at the gun store at home. Slows you to handle it pretty well.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Olly » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:28 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:

I was gonna bring that up. Messed around with one at the gun store at home. Slows you to handle it pretty well.

That is a good option for now but in early November there was a letter sent out from the ATF explaining that they are looking deeper into it and shouldering it might be illegal.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:38 pm

Olly wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

That is a good option for now but in early November there was a letter sent out from the ATF explaining that they are looking deeper into it and shouldering it might be illegal.

That doesn't make much sense but they are the gov. Its just a rubber and nylon strap that goes on the tube. It does look like a but stock though so maybe that's it.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Olly » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:48 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:That doesn't make much sense but they are the gov. Its just a rubber and nylon strap that goes on the tube. It does look like a but stock though so maybe that's it.

Well it's not a stock at all. It's meant to go on the forearm and assist disabled people control shooting an AR pistol.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:00 pm

Olly wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:That doesn't make much sense but they are the gov. Its just a rubber and nylon strap that goes on the tube. It does look like a but stock though so maybe that's it.

Well it's not a stock at all. It's meant to go on the forearm and assist disabled people control shooting an AR pistol.

I know so why would the ATF have a problem with it? I could shoulder the tube if I really wanted to.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Bad17 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:01 pm

It's the size thing I guess. They don't want you to be able to conceal it. I don't know. It's the gov. They dumb.
Bad17

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:03 pm

Bad17 wrote:Don't know. But if you are building it yourself why do you want Uncle Sam to know that there is a chance that you could even have something that requires that.

Well, 10 years in FederalPoundMeInTheAssPrison is a good deterrent.

To answer the original question, current wait times are 8-10 months for individual applications, 6-8 for "non-individual" entities (trusts, llcs, corps, etc). Nfatracker.com has user updated stats on wait times. My personal experience so far has been Application filed 2/18/14, stamp Approved 8/20/14 - right at 6 months (issued to a trust)., Application filed 7/16/14, pending 12/4/14...waiting final approval ??? Guessing in January.

I wouldn't bother with it, unless you are going to go the route of forming an entity to own the NFA items...to much hassle for an individual.

As far as the SBR? Meh...I too have a stripped lower that I was going to build an SBR (12" 5.7, fwiw)...but seems a lot of hassle for what amounts to a toy.
I wouldn't even consider it unless you plan to run a suppressor on it and then the idea has merit to me...because short barrels are LOUD. Obscenely loud.
If we could hunt with suppressors here, I'd build a 12" 6.8SPC, throw a can on it and rock, until then - not gonna eff with it.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:06 pm

300 blackout is the way to go for SRBs

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:08 pm

300Blk is the absolute dumbest idea I've ever seen. Nonsensical.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:10 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:

Well, 10 years in FederalPoundMeInTheAssPrison is a good deterrent.

To answer the original question, current wait times are 8-10 months for individual applications, 6-8 for "non-individual" entities (trusts, llcs, corps, etc). Nfatracker.com has user updated stats on wait times. My personal experience so far has been Application filed 2/18/14, stamp Approved 8/20/14 - right at 6 months (issued to a trust)., Application filed 7/16/14, pending 12/4/14...waiting final approval ??? Guessing in January.

I wouldn't bother with it, unless you are going to go the route of forming an entity to own the NFA items...to much hassle for an individual.

As far as the SBR? Meh...I too have a stripped lower that I was going to build an SBR (12" 5.7, fwiw)...but seems a lot of hassle for what amounts to a toy.
I wouldn't even consider it unless you plan to run a suppressor on it and then the idea has merit to me...because short barrels are LOUD. Obscenely loud.
If we could hunt with suppressors here, I'd build a 12" 6.8SPC, throw a can on it and rock, until then - not gonna eff with it.

Thanks for the advice maybe I'll build the 20" govt profile rifle I also want first and the SBR later down the road. Who knows with the way gun laws have been going in the last 10 years maybe in the next 10 years we will see the NFA sunset.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:11 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:300Blk is the absolute dumbest idea I've ever seen. Nonsensical.

Negative. That would be the Gyrojet.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Next

Return to Rifle Forum