NFA wait times?

Re: NFA wait times?

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:17 pm

Olly wrote:
DeadEye_Dan wrote:
Bad17 wrote:Don't know. But if you are building it yourself why do you want Uncle Sam to know that there is a chance that you could even have something that requires that.

Well, 10 years in FederalPoundMeInTheAssPrison is a good deterrent.

To answer the original question, current wait times are 8-10 months for individual applications, 6-8 for "non-individual" entities (trusts, llcs, corps, etc). Nfatracker.com has user updated stats on wait times. My personal experience so far has been Application filed 2/18/14, stamp Approved 8/20/14 - right at 6 months (issued to a trust)., Application filed 7/16/14, pending 12/4/14...waiting final approval ??? Guessing in January.

I wouldn't bother with it, unless you are going to go the route of forming an entity to own the NFA items...to much hassle for an individual.

As far as the SBR? Meh...I too have a stripped lower that I was going to build an SBR (12" 5.7, fwiw)...but seems a lot of hassle for what amounts to a toy.
I wouldn't even consider it unless you plan to run a suppressor on it and then the idea has merit to me...because short barrels are LOUD. Obscenely loud.
If we could hunt with suppressors here, I'd build a 12" 6.8SPC, throw a can on it and rock, until then - not gonna eff with it.

Thanks for the advice maybe I'll build the 20" govt profile rifle I also want first and the SBR later down the road. Who knows with the way gun laws have been going in the last 10 years maybe in the next 10 years we will see the NFA sunset.

There has been some credible talk that suppressors might be removed from the definition of an NFA firearm, given the health and safety aspects of shooting suppressed and I think somewhere around 30! States are now legal to hunt with suppressors...it's just becoming more mainstream.

I think with the concealed weapon concern of sbr/sbs, they stay regulated.

Think about a 10" 870 with a Salvo for home defense??? Wicked.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:21 pm

Saw a picture of a 10" 870 that a guy kept in his nightstand. It'd be sweet, although shooting it would be a bitch.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Olly » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:36 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:
I think with the concealed weapon concern of sbr/sbs, they stay regulated.

Then let's all hope that other states follow the suit of Montana. You can own a tax/BG check free SBR there as long as you're a resident and the SBR is made in Montana.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:47 pm

You should read your own link...the law has been successfully challenged by the ATF, and those claiming exemption under the law are in fact in violation of the NFA act and federal firearms laws.

I can make anything I want in my garage in Michigan, as long as no one finds out...same as in Montana or anywhere else.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:52 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:
Bad17 wrote:Don't know. But if you are building it yourself why do you want Uncle Sam to know that there is a chance that you could even have something that requires that.

Well, 10 years in FederalPoundMeInTheAssPrison is a good deterrent.

To answer the original question, current wait times are 8-10 months for individual applications, 6-8 for "non-individual" entities (trusts, llcs, corps, etc). Nfatracker.com has user updated stats on wait times. My personal experience so far has been Application filed 2/18/14, stamp Approved 8/20/14 - right at 6 months (issued to a trust)., Application filed 7/16/14, pending 12/4/14...waiting final approval ??? Guessing in January.

I wouldn't bother with it, unless you are going to go the route of forming an entity to own the NFA items...to much hassle for an individual.

As far as the SBR? Meh...I too have a stripped lower that I was going to build an SBR (12" 5.7, fwiw)...but seems a lot of hassle for what amounts to a toy.
I wouldn't even consider it unless you plan to run a suppressor on it and then the idea has merit to me...because short barrels are LOUD. Obscenely loud.
If we could hunt with suppressors here, I'd build a 12" 6.8SPC, throw a can on it and rock, until then - not gonna eff with it.

I do t keep up with it much but I thought we could hunt with suppressors here??
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Bad17 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:53 pm

We can
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:55 pm

Yep
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:00 pm

I mixed your post with Dan's on the 6.8, which I would also love to have. Carry on
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:03 pm

I'm kinda liking that little round.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:12 pm

If I were to build an AR it would no doubt be in 6.8.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

NFA wait times?

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:31 pm

110 gr bullet at 2600-2700 fps, recoil is nil, and it's capable of very good accuracy...what's not to love.

BTW, Stag makes a very nice factory 68 very reasonably priced.

And just to be consistent...you will really hate me now.

http://www.68forums.com/forums/
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:34 pm

Damnit Dan, I already have blades on the way I can't handle anymore bad influence at the moment. Still have all the bookmarks to build the 6.8 rifle I want.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:37 pm

You gotta go check out Texas Lawman's posts and videos...that guy makes me jealous.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:39 pm

Nope, nope not gonna do it :lol:
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:40 pm

I prefer to keep all my guns in a caliber that I can afford large amounts of :lol:
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:43 pm

Yah - .80/rd is steep, I can reload for half that - still not cheap
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:16 am

FYI - Form1's (to build NFA items) e-filed, are getting turned in around 30 days right now.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Previous

Return to Rifle Forum