What gun??

Upland Birds.

Moderator: NuffDaddy

Re: What gun??

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:49 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:I was being a smartass.

are you ever anything else?


Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app

Not really... I can be helpful on posts that ask for help, though.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
User avatar
rebelp74
 
Posts: 12506
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:49 am
Location: nw louisiana

Re: What gun??

Postby jarbo03 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:49 pm

Better than being a dumbass

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
User avatar
jarbo03
 
Posts: 11741
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:02 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: What gun??

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:49 pm

jarbo03 wrote:Better than being a dumbass

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

:thumbsup: Agreed
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
User avatar
rebelp74
 
Posts: 12506
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:49 am
Location: nw louisiana

Re: What gun??

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:55 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:I was being a smartass.

are you ever anything else?


Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app

Not really... I can be helpful on posts that ask for help, though.

Where can I find pheasants Florida?


Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
User avatar
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 10142
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:05 pm
Location: Saginaw Bay, Michigan

Re: What gun??

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:57 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:I was being a smartass.

are you ever anything else?


Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app

Not really... I can be helpful on posts that ask for help, though.

Where can I find pheasants Florida?


Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app

Probably a farm. Never pheasant hunted in Florida. Damn cyberscouters.
CATCH!!!
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
User avatar
rebelp74
 
Posts: 12506
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:49 am
Location: nw louisiana

Re: What gun??

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:06 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:I was being a smartass.

are you ever anything else?


Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app

Not really... I can be helpful on posts that ask for help, though.

Where can I find pheasants Florida?


Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app

Probably a farm. Never pheasant hunted in Florida. Damn cyberscouters.
CATCH!!!

hahahahhahahahah. I just found that thread on DHC...I thought it was a great idea. They got real uptight over there this week and I'm pretty much done there unless they quit. The place is almost dead right now.


Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
User avatar
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 10142
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:05 pm
Location: Saginaw Bay, Michigan

Re: What gun??

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:08 pm

That was the reason for me coming here.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
User avatar
rebelp74
 
Posts: 12506
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:49 am
Location: nw louisiana

Re: What gun??

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:20 pm

rebelp74 wrote:That was the reason for me coming here.

mine too.


Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
User avatar
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 10142
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:05 pm
Location: Saginaw Bay, Michigan

Re: What gun??

Postby assateague » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 pm

Goldfish wrote:While I've popped a grouse with 2 shot (was all I had on me so I took it's head off), I usually use 7 or 8 shot for them. Basically what I have laying around from the trap range. Pheasant I usually use 4 because I have it from duck hunting.

sent from a phancy fone


Do you guys have to use steel for upland?
User avatar
assateague
 
Posts: 23627
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: What gun??

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:24 pm

assateague wrote:
Goldfish wrote:While I've popped a grouse with 2 shot (was all I had on me so I took it's head off), I usually use 7 or 8 shot for them. Basically what I have laying around from the trap range. Pheasant I usually use 4 because I have it from duck hunting.

sent from a phancy fone


Do you guys have to use steel for upland?

I know we don't. I don't think you do anywhere. Unless your hunting in a managed waterfowl area.


Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
User avatar
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 10142
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:05 pm
Location: Saginaw Bay, Michigan

Re: What gun??

Postby assateague » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:25 pm

I thought I remembered some guys talking about having to use steel for upland. I know I heard some folks talking about it for dove. Just can't remember where.
User avatar
assateague
 
Posts: 23627
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: What gun??

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:26 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
assateague wrote:
Goldfish wrote:While I've popped a grouse with 2 shot (was all I had on me so I took it's head off), I usually use 7 or 8 shot for them. Basically what I have laying around from the trap range. Pheasant I usually use 4 because I have it from duck hunting.

sent from a phancy fone


Do you guys have to use steel for upland?

I know we don't. I don't think you do anywhere. Unless your hunting in a managed waterfowl area.


Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app

Thats only if you're huntign waterfowl at the same time.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
User avatar
rebelp74
 
Posts: 12506
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:49 am
Location: nw louisiana

Re: What gun??

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:27 pm

assateague wrote:I thought I remembered some guys talking about having to use steel for upland. I know I heard some folks talking about it for dove. Just can't remember where.

I read a thread in DHC somewhere about steel for doves but don't remember anything about upland.


Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
User avatar
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 10142
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:05 pm
Location: Saginaw Bay, Michigan

Re: What gun??

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:28 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
assateague wrote:
Goldfish wrote:While I've popped a grouse with 2 shot (was all I had on me so I took it's head off), I usually use 7 or 8 shot for them. Basically what I have laying around from the trap range. Pheasant I usually use 4 because I have it from duck hunting.

sent from a phancy fone


Do you guys have to use steel for upland?

I know we don't. I don't think you do anywhere. Unless your hunting in a managed waterfowl area.


Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app

Thats only if you're huntign waterfowl at the same time.

Not here, if your in a designated waterfowl area you have to use steel. No matter what.


Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
User avatar
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 10142
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:05 pm
Location: Saginaw Bay, Michigan

Re: What gun??

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:29 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
assateague wrote:
Goldfish wrote:While I've popped a grouse with 2 shot (was all I had on me so I took it's head off), I usually use 7 or 8 shot for them. Basically what I have laying around from the trap range. Pheasant I usually use 4 because I have it from duck hunting.

sent from a phancy fone


Do you guys have to use steel for upland?

I know we don't. I don't think you do anywhere. Unless your hunting in a managed waterfowl area.


Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app

Thats only if you're huntign waterfowl at the same time.

Not here, if your in a designated waterfowl area you have to use steel. No matter what.


Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app

Gotcha, to keep from supposedly ingesting lead shot?
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
User avatar
rebelp74
 
Posts: 12506
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:49 am
Location: nw louisiana

Re: What gun??

Postby jarbo03 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:31 pm

All NWRs, WMA, WPA lands are steel shot only. Most state lands are steel only for waterfowl.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
User avatar
jarbo03
 
Posts: 11741
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:02 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: What gun??

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:32 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
assateague wrote:[quote="Goldfish"]While I've popped a grouse with 2 shot (was all I had on me so I took it's head off), I usually use 7 or 8 shot for them. Basically what I have laying around from the trap range. Pheasant I usually use 4 because I have it from duck hunting.

sent from a phancy fone


Do you guys have to use steel for upland?

I know we don't. I don't think you do anywhere. Unless your hunting in a managed waterfowl area.


Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app

Thats only if you're huntign waterfowl at the same time.

Not here, if your in a designated waterfowl area you have to use steel. No matter what.


Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app

Gotcha, to keep from supposedly ingesting lead shot?[/quote]
I guess.


Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
User avatar
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 10142
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:05 pm
Location: Saginaw Bay, Michigan

Re: What gun??

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:33 pm

jarbo03 wrote:All NWRs, WMA, WPA lands are steel shot only. Most state lands are steel only for waterfowl.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

this


Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
User avatar
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 10142
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:05 pm
Location: Saginaw Bay, Michigan

Re: What gun??

Postby assateague » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:47 pm

jarbo03 wrote:All NWRs, WMA, WPA lands are steel shot only. Most state lands are steel only for waterfowl.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2


Is this a federal thing? If so...oops.
User avatar
assateague
 
Posts: 23627
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: What gun??

Postby Goldfish » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:52 pm

I basically only shoot steel unless it's that target loads for grouse on our own land. I just assume anywhere public you aren't supposed to use lead and it's keeping me out of trouble, after that one time...

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
User avatar
Goldfish
 
Posts: 7009
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:33 am
Location: Up Nort Dontchaknow

Re: What gun??

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:58 pm

assateague wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:All NWRs, WMA, WPA lands are steel shot only. Most state lands are steel only for waterfowl.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2


Is this a federal thing? If so...oops.

Our WMA here doesnt require steel, but I use it. Only thing i use lead for is turkey. Ive just always been comfortable with steel.

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
User avatar
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter
 
Posts: 8350
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:59 pm
Location: Ogdensburg, NY

Re: What gun??

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:59 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
assateague wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:All NWRs, WMA, WPA lands are steel shot only. Most state lands are steel only for waterfowl.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2


Is this a federal thing? If so...oops.

Our WMA here doesnt require steel, but I use it. Only thing i use lead for is turkey. Ive just always been comfortable with steel.

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2

Same here with our WMA's. I only use steel shot for what I have to.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
User avatar
rebelp74
 
Posts: 12506
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:49 am
Location: nw louisiana

Re: What gun??

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:59 pm

assateague wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:All NWRs, WMA, WPA lands are steel shot only. Most state lands are steel only for waterfowl.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2


Is this a federal thing? If so...oops.

federal lands are ok for lead as long as they aren't for waterfowl if that's what your asking.


Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
User avatar
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 10142
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:05 pm
Location: Saginaw Bay, Michigan

Re: What gun??

Postby jarbo03 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:00 pm

assateague wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:All NWRs, WMA, WPA lands are steel shot only. Most state lands are steel only for waterfowl.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2


Is this a federal thing? If so...oops.

Not 100%, but I think so. My lips are sealed.:-|

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
User avatar
jarbo03
 
Posts: 11741
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:02 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: What gun??

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:02 pm

jarbo03 wrote:
assateague wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:All NWRs, WMA, WPA lands are steel shot only. Most state lands are steel only for waterfowl.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2


Is this a federal thing? If so...oops.

Not 100%, but I think so. My lips are sealed.:-|

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

all the places that are nontoxic only are clearly marked.


Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
User avatar
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 10142
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:05 pm
Location: Saginaw Bay, Michigan

Re: What gun??

Postby assateague » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:26 am

I've never been much for rules, anyway. That's what those coffee cans placed strategically throughout the marsh are for.
User avatar
assateague
 
Posts: 23627
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: What gun??

Postby aunt betty » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:14 am

jarbo03 wrote:My upland loads are way more lethal than any duck load.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Me2. HOT loads. Blue dot (max)
You do not want to be near me when I shoot one.
I use my 870. Berreta 390 is too heavy for upland unless you are a giant. How big are you rebelp? Do I need a 4x lifejacket for you?
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to **** around with a crazy man's head.
User avatar
aunt betty
 
Posts: 14590
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:37 pm
Location: East Side

Re: What gun??

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:38 pm

aunt betty wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:My upland loads are way more lethal than any duck load.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Me2. HOT loads. Blue dot (max)
You do not want to be near me when I shoot one.
I use my 870. Berreta 390 is too heavy for upland unless you are a giant. How big are you rebelp? Do I need a 4x lifejacket for you?

Not that damn big! 6'3" 230. I'll bring my own, it's a xl.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
User avatar
rebelp74
 
Posts: 12506
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:49 am
Location: nw louisiana

Re: What gun??

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:43 pm

aunt betty wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:My upland loads are way more lethal than any duck load.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Me2. HOT loads. Blue dot (max)
You do not want to be near me when I shoot one.
I use my 870. Berreta 390 is too heavy for upland unless you are a giant. How big are you rebelp? Do I need a 4x lifejacket for you?


Have you loaded with Hodgdon Longshot? IMO, Blue Dot has become out dated.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
User avatar
jarbo03
 
Posts: 11741
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:02 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: What gun??

Postby aunt betty » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:25 pm

jarbo03 wrote:
aunt betty wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:My upland loads are way more lethal than any duck load.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Me2. HOT loads. Blue dot (max)
You do not want to be near me when I shoot one.
I use my 870. Berreta 390 is too heavy for upland unless you are a giant. How big are you rebelp? Do I need a 4x lifejacket for you?


Have you loaded with Hodgdon Longshot? IMO, Blue Dot has become out dated.

Dont laff too hard.
I own a lee load all.
The load I use is from their little guide. I am so cheap...
I used what I had info for and **** yeah a load from a 25 or 30 year old booklet (haha) cant be fresh.
I have not reloaded a shell since the store that I got supplies from closed.
K's Merchandise was a good one. Too bad.
Too cheap to pay shipping so I gave up reloading. Plus getting too old to shoot lead at rabbits and rare pheasants. **** it.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to **** around with a crazy man's head.
User avatar
aunt betty
 
Posts: 14590
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:37 pm
Location: East Side

PreviousNext

Return to Upland Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests