What size shot...

Upland Birds.

Moderator: NuffDaddy

Re: What size shot...

Postby assateague » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:11 pm

I usually jump quite a few walking in (in the evenings) and walking out (in the mornings). Resident goose here goes until 30 minutes after sunset, so no hope of shooting them then on the walk out.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:40 pm

assateague wrote:I usually jump quite a few walking in (in the evenings) and walking out (in the mornings). Resident goose here goes until 30 minutes after sunset, so no hope of shooting them then on the walk out.

Allegedly

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:59 pm

assateague wrote:Rick, what's the best way to quickly differentiate between snipe and rail when flushed. Snipe are in season during early goose, but rail are not, is why I ask. I've not pulled the trigger many times, simply because I couldn't tell quickly.

A snipe almost never flush without a loud "Scaipe!" Sort of like a squeaking shoe on steroids. Then he'll zip on out like a little jet and usually fly quite a distance.

Though the big rails can be vocal on the ground, none tend to holler when flushing, and all fly more like short-hopping helicopters than jets.

Just don't shoot anything that doesn't "scaipe" on take-off, and you should be fine.
Rick

Postby assateague » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:24 pm

Ok, thanks Rick. Apparently, most of what I flush are rails then, at least early. Never seen one fly more than about 25 feet, and that appears to be hard work. Would never describe them as jets, and we seem to play leapfrog into and out of the marsh, so thinking they're all rails. Better hold off on the trigger for another few weeks, although they do "screech" a bit when jumped. And to be painfully honest, until they're in hand, I have a very difficult time telling the difference between our Virginia Rails and Snipe. The difference is only 2 weeks, but could be expensive.
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:20 pm

You catch snipe at night with a burlap sack and a whistle.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:58 pm

rebelp74 wrote:You catch snipe at night with a burlap sack and a whistle.

I shoot them in the mouth while in flight...with T shot.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:52 pm

assateague wrote:Ok, thanks Rick. Apparently, most of what I flush are rails then, at least early. Never seen one fly more than about 25 feet, and that appears to be hard work. Would never describe them as jets, and we seem to play leapfrog into and out of the marsh, so thinking they're all rails. Better hold off on the trigger for another few weeks, although they do "screech" a bit when jumped. And to be painfully honest, until they're in hand, I have a very difficult time telling the difference between our Virginia Rails and Snipe. The difference is only 2 weeks, but could be expensive.

You know it's a Sora rail if the trick is to get a shot off before it lands.

Re: Virginias and snipe in the air, besides the rail's lack of speed, they'll often fly with their butts hanging low.

I'm going to have to listen harder for rails hollering on take-off. The kings and clappers can sound sort of like pheasants crowing (only GAK, GAk, Gak, gak, gak in decending volume) on the ground, but I don't associate vocal flushes with any of them.

Am sure the coyote will enjoy researching the issue next time we make a pass afield. 'Cept he's bad for catching them before the flush. Don't hear them holler then, but not sure I would:
Rick

Postby assateague » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:31 pm

What I've heard from the rails is more like a quiet, far less obnoxious heron croak, maybe two of them close together. Here, Virginias and Soras are in season at the same times. Only snipe are staggered. "Just because", I expect would be the reason given.
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:47 am

Eric Haynes wrote:

You'd kill more with a rape whistle and tennis racket.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:34 am

Here's a crapload of rail callling http://www.xeno-canto.org/species/Rallus-elegans but local boy Daniel Lane's first entry is what I was trying to describe for the big kings and clappers. (My hearing could be to shot to catch much of the quieter stuff they do.)

Gonna take the coyote for a spin right now while I'm thinking of it and see if he can make anything squawk on takeoff.
Rick

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:04 am

rebelp74 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

You'd kill more with a rape whistle and tennis racket.

Rape whistle is all worn out.

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:35 pm

Rick wrote:Gonna take the coyote for a spin right now while I'm thinking of it and see if he can make anything squawk on takeoff.

That was an exercise in exercise. Made a nearly four mile lap of stubbles being flooded for second crop and saw not a single Sora. Moved maybe a dozen kings, only two of which flushed close enough to me and far enough from the dog's splashing to be certain there was nothing but the sound of wing beats. Did hear a couple of the slew and a half of gallinules we moved crow.

Will also report that the ulterior motive of hoping to see the new season's first teal flopped, as well. Saw some mottleds and a mess of whistling ducks, blackbellied and fulvous, but nary a teal.
Rick

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:31 pm

Isn't it a little warm down there for a 4 mile traipse in the marsh?
assateague

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:31 pm

I work in the marshes most of the Summer, but this morning's hike was on hard grass farm roads and levees and something the coyote and I do a lot of anyway when it gets too hot to run my old ass on mornings off. Not the same physically or psychologically as running four, but infinitely better for heart and mind than hanging around the house. Did wish I'd had the presence of mind to swap out the black t-shirt before heading out, though.
Rick

Previous

Return to Upland Hunting