Upland

Upland Birds.

Moderator: NuffDaddy

Re: Upland

Postby jarbo03 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:45 pm

Lookin forward to MT in late October.
Good thing bout KS for the NCH, is free lodging and a pace to fire up the grill and cook food. We will find waterfowl to shoot, pheasant are always a veal shoot, should be able to find birds for those who have never shot one before.

Sent from a gnarly phone with a kickstand
Last edited by jarbo03 on Wed May 08, 2013 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
User avatar
jarbo03
 
Posts: 11741
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:02 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: Upland

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed May 08, 2013 11:47 pm

sws002 wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:You guys should make the no coast hunt in SD. Probably the best of both worlds...

Could be, but $220 is a lot of money for license, and the waterfowl permit is a drawing. If not in the far SE unit, you have to announce your 10th day period you will be hunting, no more than 5 at a time. KS is $90 for everything.

Sent from a gnarly phone with a kickstand


That and I don't know if we have any members in SD that could host a hunt. That, and unless you get lucky, the majority of the good pheasant hunting in SD is all done through guides now. Had this debate before, one of the reasons I much prefer ND, the permits are more expensive (than NE or KS) and are only good for a week to two weeks depending on how you split it, but the amount of public land available to hunt and have a reasonable chance of success is much better in my opinion. I should be headed up there again this year around the second to last week in October, perhaps if a few guys are up for it there could be a secondary (or preliminary in this case) hunt...


Not sure if you have a place that you always go to, but my FIL has gone out there the last few years. His buddies rent a house for next to nothing, and get to hunt the owners land while they stay. If you're interested, I'll try to get the information to pass along.

I've been dying to get up there, but haven't been able to find a group to hunt with. Keep me posted on your plans, and if things work out, I'd love to join you in ND! :beer:
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it ****!

Reinstate West Virginia!
User avatar
Feelin' Fowl
 
Posts: 11025
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:48 am
Location: Northern IL

Re: Upland

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed May 08, 2013 11:48 pm

jarbo03 wrote:Lookin forward to MT in late October.
Good thing bout KS for the NCH, is free lodging and a pace to fire up the grill and cook food. We will find waterfowl to shoot, pheasant are always a veal shoot, should be able to find birds for those who have never shot one before.

Sent from a gnarly phone with a kickstand


You'll have a happy (temporary) Krew!
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it ****!

Reinstate West Virginia!
User avatar
Feelin' Fowl
 
Posts: 11025
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:48 am
Location: Northern IL

Re: Upland

Postby sws002 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:32 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
sws002 wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:You guys should make the no coast hunt in SD. Probably the best of both worlds...

Could be, but $220 is a lot of money for license, and the waterfowl permit is a drawing. If not in the far SE unit, you have to announce your 10th day period you will be hunting, no more than 5 at a time. KS is $90 for everything.

Sent from a gnarly phone with a kickstand


That and I don't know if we have any members in SD that could host a hunt. That, and unless you get lucky, the majority of the good pheasant hunting in SD is all done through guides now. Had this debate before, one of the reasons I much prefer ND, the permits are more expensive (than NE or KS) and are only good for a week to two weeks depending on how you split it, but the amount of public land available to hunt and have a reasonable chance of success is much better in my opinion. I should be headed up there again this year around the second to last week in October, perhaps if a few guys are up for it there could be a secondary (or preliminary in this case) hunt...


Not sure if you have a place that you always go to, but my FIL has gone out there the last few years. His buddies rent a house for next to nothing, and get to hunt the owners land while they stay. If you're interested, I'll try to get the information to pass along.

I've been dying to get up there, but haven't been able to find a group to hunt with. Keep me posted on your plans, and if things work out, I'd love to join you in ND! :beer:

Any idea where about they go?
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
User avatar
sws002
 
Posts: 2577
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:47 pm

Re: Upland

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu May 09, 2013 7:44 pm

Near Bowman

I think this is where something clever about tapatalk should go.
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it ****!

Reinstate West Virginia!
User avatar
Feelin' Fowl
 
Posts: 11025
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:48 am
Location: Northern IL

Re: Upland

Postby sws002 » Fri May 10, 2013 12:32 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:Near Bowman

I think this is where something clever about tapatalk should go.


We usually end up somewhere NE of Bismarck
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
User avatar
sws002
 
Posts: 2577
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:47 pm

Re: Upland

Postby jehler » Fri May 10, 2013 6:01 am

Pheasant....meh

Grouse and **** is where it's at, pheasant hunters are all in it for the fashion and the fixation with the long tail (Freud anybody)
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
User avatar
jehler
 
Posts: 11453
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:18 pm

Re: Upland

Postby jarbo03 » Fri May 10, 2013 6:52 am

jehler wrote:Pheasant....meh

Grouse and **** is where it's at, pheasant hunters are all in it for the fashion and the fixation with the long tail (Freud anybody)

What about the pretty colors?

Sent from a gnarly phone with a kickstand
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
User avatar
jarbo03
 
Posts: 11741
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:02 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: Upland

Postby sws002 » Fri May 10, 2013 8:03 am

jehler wrote:**** is where it's at.... (Freud anybody)

Fify
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
User avatar
sws002
 
Posts: 2577
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:47 pm

Re: Upland

Postby jehler » Fri May 10, 2013 8:41 am

You didn't get it huh?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
User avatar
jehler
 
Posts: 11453
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:18 pm

Re: Upland

Postby Tomkat » Fri May 10, 2013 12:07 pm

Maybe he chose to ignore it?


Sent from a fancy ass phone
User avatar
Tomkat
 
Posts: 6866
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:46 pm

Re: Upland

Postby sws002 » Fri May 10, 2013 3:21 pm

jehler wrote:You didn't get it huh?


Must not have
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
User avatar
sws002
 
Posts: 2577
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:47 pm

Re: Upland

Postby Goldfish » Sat May 11, 2013 4:35 am

Jehler likes the long beaks?

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
User avatar
Goldfish
 
Posts: 7009
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:33 am
Location: Up Nort Dontchaknow

Re: Upland

Postby aunt betty » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:57 pm

I collected tailfeathers off of wild pheasants I shot. Had two paper shopping bags stuffed full. I tossed em when I found out it is illegal to sell them. At a buck each I was going to buy me an 1100. Fool kid I was.
If anyone wants to hear wtf happened to all the birds I can tell the story. Some of you who farm...dont wanna hear it though.
It is a long boring story with a large sprinkling of greed.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to **** around with a crazy man's head.
User avatar
aunt betty
 
Posts: 14590
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:37 pm
Location: East Side

Re: Upland

Postby aunt betty » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:58 pm

Proof.
1375905494356.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to **** around with a crazy man's head.
User avatar
aunt betty
 
Posts: 14590
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:37 pm
Location: East Side

Re: Upland

Postby aunt betty » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:01 pm

There were two very bad winters in 09 and 10.
Thats part of why numbers are down.
Lack of habitat is the real problem. Estimate that I have killed approximately 250-300 roosters. Maybe more. I quit about when FF was noticing less birds. Wild pheasants...I just dont see them in numbers like in the 70's 80's and 90's.
It is very dificult to get permission anymore.
Many upland hunters are sort of forced to hunt ducks because of land access issues here. Lack of birds as well.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to **** around with a crazy man's head.
User avatar
aunt betty
 
Posts: 14590
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:37 pm
Location: East Side

Re: Upland

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:17 pm

That's exactly why I turned to ducks. Sad to see a decline in pheasant, but I'm glad that I stumbled upon ducks as a result.
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it ****!

Reinstate West Virginia!
User avatar
Feelin' Fowl
 
Posts: 11025
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:48 am
Location: Northern IL

Re: Upland

Postby aunt betty » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:51 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:That's exactly why I turned to ducks. Sad to see a decline in pheasant, but I'm glad that I stumbled upon ducks as a result.

One day a friend and I hunted the railroad tracks west of Mahomet, Illinois. It was snowy and windy.
Had to cross a ditch. Three mallards jumped. I killed all three with two shots. And I started buying decoys etc.
Could show you the exact spot where I killed my first ducks. It MIGHT have been duck season. :duck:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to **** around with a crazy man's head.
User avatar
aunt betty
 
Posts: 14590
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:37 pm
Location: East Side

Re: Upland

Postby Tomkat » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:04 am

aunt betty wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:That's exactly why I turned to ducks. Sad to see a decline in pheasant, but I'm glad that I stumbled upon ducks as a result.

One day a friend and I hunted the railroad tracks west of Mahomet, Illinois. It was snowy and windy.
Had to cross a ditch. Three mallards jumped. I killed all three with two shots. And I started buying decoys etc.
Could show you the exact spot where I killed my first ducks. It MIGHT have been duck season. :duck:


Would you please show us that spot?? PLEASE???
User avatar
Tomkat
 
Posts: 6866
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:46 pm

Re: Upland

Postby jarbo03 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:23 am

Tomkat wrote:
aunt betty wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:That's exactly why I turned to ducks. Sad to see a decline in pheasant, but I'm glad that I stumbled upon ducks as a result.

One day a friend and I hunted the railroad tracks west of Mahomet, Illinois. It was snowy and windy.
Had to cross a ditch. Three mallards jumped. I killed all three with two shots. And I started buying decoys etc.
Could show you the exact spot where I killed my first ducks. It MIGHT have been duck season. :duck:


Would you please show us that spot?? PLEASE???


I'll show you where I shot my 1st duck, but you better do the same!
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
User avatar
jarbo03
 
Posts: 11741
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:02 pm
Location: Here and there

Previous

Return to Upland Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests