Journal Your Dove Hunts.

Upland Birds.

Moderator: NuffDaddy

Re: Journal Your Dove Hunts.

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:52 pm

I wish I knew where the majority of them are. I only have 5 left on my keychain ive got since I've moved out. The others were hanging from a mirror on a piece of string in my old room. Mom got in there and did lord knows what with all my stuff after I moved. Friggin shame, I've lost a few cool momentous of my youth. Spurs off my first turkey and tail feather from my first rooster. After I got my house situated I went back to grab them and they were no where to be found. She claims she didn't throw anything away.lol yeah right.
Who really runs the prison? The inmates or the guards?
GadwallGetter530

Postby Legband » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:17 am

That is a shame but you have 5 more than most of us lol.
Congrats again , I love to see the bling and it shows well on those tiny birds.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:36 am

Yeah. At least I sent the info in for the band reports on them. Not a total loss.
Who really runs the prison? The inmates or the guards?
GadwallGetter530

Postby Legband » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:52 am

Not at all ,
I have kept all of my reports as well.
The majority are the old style where you called it in and they sent your a certificate the last few I have killed they send you a email and you print your own.
I also made a copy of each of the checks I received for the money bands on the double banded birds from the Gayle Ford Foundation.
It's just one more piece of documentation.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby Duckdog » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:58 am

Legband wrote:I love to see the bling.

Never would have guessed that.... ;)

Do your hunting buddies ever say, "Cover up your lanyard...you're flaring the birds!"
Duckdog

Postby 3200 Man » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:53 pm

Legband wrote:Not at all ,
The majority are the old style where you called it in and they sent your a certificate the last few I have killed they send you a email and you print your own.
I also made a copy of each of the checks I received for the money bands on the double banded birds from the Gayle Ford Foundation.

I have 5 single bands and one double ( money ) band , all were banded within 20 miles from where they were shot !
Where were yours banded , Joe ?
3200 Man

Postby Legband » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:18 pm

Duckdog wrote:

Do your hunting buddies ever say, "Cover up your lanyard...you're flaring the birds!"

I keep it tucked in my jacket except for the call loops.
But Yes they always have something to say and you have know idea the rash of crap I take.
One of my buddies took a 3/4 inch piece of conduit 30 inchs long and cut almost all the way through it every 3/4 of a inch apart so it looked like all goose bands and then wore it for the next 15 mins.
They all laugh and I laughed as well.
I but if noticed they all have all their bands on their lanyards it may be two or six or twelve but they are all sporting them.
I just happened to be in the right place at the right time more often and simply put I'm in the field almost every day of season so I have a little more jewelry.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby Legband » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:25 pm

3200 Man wrote:

I have 5 single bands and one double ( money ) band , all were banded within 20 miles from where they were shot !

My farthest ones were in Alaska I have several from Canada , one from Washington , several from Oregon , and a number from northern Ca. From Alturas to Sacramento and Los Banos One from Nevada.
The largest number of honkers were Arnold , Montpellier , and the Delta.
Currently I have 52 goose bands and 30 ducks , 6 of the geese were double banded and one duck was.
I have given several to my sons and grandsons that were shot when we were together.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby Duckdog » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:17 pm

Legband wrote:
Duckdog wrote:

I keep it tucked in my jacket except for the call loops.
But Yes they always have something to say and you have know idea the rash of crap I take.
One of my buddies took a 3/4 inch piece of conduit 30 inchs long and cut almost all the way through it every 3/4 of a inch apart so it looked like all goose bands and then wore it for the next 15 mins.
They all laugh and I laughed as well.
I but if noticed they all have all their bands on their lanyards it may be two or six or twelve but they are all sporting them.
I just happened to be in the right place at the right time more often and simply put I'm in the field almost every day of season so I have a little more jewelry.

That's awesome! Great joke!
Duckdog

Postby 3200 Man » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:35 pm

Legband wrote:
3200 Man wrote:

My farthest ones were in Alaska I have several from Canada , one from Washington , several from Oregon , and a number from northern Ca. From Alturas to Sacramento and Los Banos One from Nevada.
The largest number of honkers were Arnold , Montpellier , and the Delta.
Currently I have 52 goose bands and 30 ducks , 6 of the geese were double banded and one duck was.

How many birds have your dogs retrieved for others hunters , with one leg.....is the question ? :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

I was referring to Doves Bands in my question , Joe !
I have given several to my sons and grandsons that were shot when we were together.
Me too !
3200 Man

Postby Legband » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:06 pm

Sorry i misunderstood I have never shot a banded dove.

On the subject of one legged birds with the old guys I hunt with you better know you shot something before you try to claim it or you may get the butt of a gun up side your head , they are not really the lets have a conversation about this kinda guys. Lol
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby 3200 Man » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:50 am

With hunting with the same fellas for the last 10/12 years and our normal set-up with individual brush blinds 30 yds
apart , you gotta pay attention to what birds go on your strap around here . Even tho it's all in fun , it keeps you guessing
whether it was a bling bird or not !............honesty comes at the Trucks , usually !

You always hear ( well my dog retrieved it and it always retrieves what I shoot ) before the laughing !
It sure makes for a good surprise , if you're into keeping bands . :lol: :thumbsup:
3200 Man

Postby Rick » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:25 pm

3200 Man wrote:You always hear ( well my dog retrieved it and it always retrieves what I shoot ) before the laughing !
It sure makes for a good surprise , if you're into keeping bands . :lol: :thumbsup:

I started waterfowling seriously in an area where it seemed like every third goose was banded, so there was no thrill, and I thought of them as "used" birds someone else had already had in hand. Never became a collector, and even if alone when one came along, it would go to the next kid I saw with a call. Now my grandsons get them.

But I love seeing the dog coming with a band when I've guest hunters, because it gives me a chance to angrily demand, "Who shot that bird? I need to know who shot that damn bird." Sometimes a sheepish hand will raise, and I get to administer a happy surprise. Other times, no one will fess up, and I get to say, "Well, I didn't shoot it, but guess its band will go to the dog." and watch the backpedaling and claiming start.
Rick

Postby Legband » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:55 pm

Lol :lol: :lol: :lol:
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby Deltaman » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:29 pm

Rick wrote:
3200 Man wrote:You always hear ( well my dog retrieved it and it always retrieves what I shoot ) before the laughing !

I started waterfowling seriously in an area where it seemed like every third goose was banded, so there was no thrill, and I thought of them as "used" birds someone else had already had in hand. Never became a collector, and even if alone when one came along, it would go to the next kid I saw with a call. Now my grandsons get them.

But I love seeing the dog coming with a band when I've guest hunters, because it gives me a chance to angrily demand, "Who shot that bird? I need to know who shot that damn bird." Sometimes a sheepish hand will raise, and I get to administer a happy surprise. Other times, no one will fess up, and I get to say, "Well, I didn't shoot it, but guess its band will go to the dog." and watch the backpedaling and claiming start.

That is hilarious Rick :lol:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Legband » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:38 pm

Had a good shoot again today what a first season it's been.
I think I will go out Monday for one last first season shoot.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby 3200 Man » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:29 am

You are right Legband , we have been blessed with a lot of Doves this year , we can only hope for more than expected
Waterfowl in the area with little water .

Fresh'n up that Goose call as it's only a couple weeks away till the shooting starts ! :thumbsup:

Rick

I'm sure you have to make the call of ( who gets the bling ) , my dog is kind of possessive with a good eye for jewelry
( she has been taught WELL ) and it helps in keeping friends that I hunt with but with her checking one bird and going to the
next , has got to stop ! :lol: :lol:
3200 Man

Postby Legband » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:36 am

[quote="3200 Man"]You are right Legband , we have been blessed with a lot of Doves this year , we can only hope for more than expected
Waterfowl in the area with little water .

Fresh'n up that Goose call as it's only a couple weeks away till the shooting starts ! :thumbsup:

Yea boy you hit that one in the head with out knowing it.
I have a company that has sent me some goose calls and they want me to use them and take some pics.
they really are pretty good calls
But they are not what Im used to.
I'm having a hard time switching over , It very well may just be to confidence factor.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby Legband » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:04 pm

Finished out strong with a good closing hunt.
Got cleaned up drove to the hospital and got here just in time to meet my new grandson.
It won't be long and the good Lord willing he will be in the field with papa.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby Steele22 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:15 pm

Legband wrote:Finished out strong with a good closing hunt.
Got cleaned up drove to the hospital and got here just in time to meet my new grandson.
It won't be long and the good Lord willing he will be in the field with papa.

Congrats man, good lookin young man
HIGDON OUTDOORS
Steele22

Previous

Return to Upland Hunting