Great September Weekend

Upland Birds.

Moderator: NuffDaddy

Great September Weekend

Postby Deltaman » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:42 am

Although Teal season is still open, our dove season opened last Saturday, and I was fortunate enough to get an invite. What a great sport.........sleep in, gather up around lunchtime for a cook out, mosey out into the field around 2:30, making sure to have the shade from one of the many pecan trees, and for the next 45-60 minutes, watch and shoot at the little speedsters as they swarm the field. This year was different in the fact that the first dove I shot was a white wing, as was the 2nd, 3rd, and so on. There were a few of the collared, or ringed-neck dove flying around, and I did shoot one of them, and the mourning doves were there as well, but the white wings were the stars of the day. I've killed one here and there over the years, but have never seen them in coastal Alabama in such numbers, and can only wonder if they have taken up residence, or we just caught a bunch of them in their migration path. They were plentiful enough for me to pick and choose, and I was able to eek out a limit of the bigger birds, a first for me.

With overcast skies and light rain on Sunday, Jenny and I decided to take advantage and spend a few hours hand-lining blue crabs. We launched the boat, made a short run, and settled in on the edge of the river with 4 hand lines. We caught the tide high, just starting to fall, and caught 47 big blue crabs in just a couple of hours. We had been watching all morning, and the skies over the bay finally started clearing. It was flat with a light SE wind, so we decided to make a dash out into the bay and search for Blackfish (tripletail). Got lucky and found a couple of them home that made their way into our ice chest (8 3/4 lb and 14 lb).

Lots of good eating in our house (and neighborhood) this week :thumbsup:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Re: Great September Weekend

Postby Darren » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:58 am

doves, tripletail and crabs! that's enough to make even a S. Louisiana boy envious. Still have yet to try my hand at tripletail but know a fair many that chase them in Lake Borgne in late summer

nice work!
Darren

Postby aunt betty » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:12 pm

PECANS! I'd be picking them up while y'all hunt.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Deltaman » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:18 pm

aunt betty wrote:PECANS! I'd be picking them up while y'all hunt.

Betty, I always fill my pockets before walking out into the field, just to have something to munch on when times are slow, or to keep a nephew/bird boy busy while waiting. Good thing about them is that they will stay good for a long time, and there has been many a duck hunting morning that I have rediscovered them in my vest or bucket. Some years are better than others, and based on what I saw Saturday, this was not a good year for them here. I asked the farmer, and he confirmed the same.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby aunt betty » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:08 am

Bummer. Too wet or too dry?
There are people by Black Rock, Ar. that sell them out of their garages if all else fails for me.
I eat a lot of pecans. Usually go thru about 30# in a year without even trying.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Deltaman » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:16 am

Got an invite back for the 2nd weekend of dove season this past Saturday, and although the white wings were gone, there were enough mourning doves to make a nice hunt. Ate bacon wrapped doves from the grill and watched Alabama football until 3ish, when we started seeing a few birds working the field. No big flocks of birds today, but they trickled in steadily most of the day in groups of 2-10. Hunted until 5:30, and was damn glad I chose a spot on the edge of the pecan orchard where I could sit in the shade of a tree..........it was a hot mofo with temps in the low 90's and a blazing orange ball in the sky! Most had limits for the day, and after the shoot, we resumed watching football (Auburn/LSU), drinking cold beverages in the open pole barn, and munching on doves, chicken and Conecuh sausage from the big smoker. What a day, and hunts like this, that were once common place along our coast, are becoming a rare commodity that I appreciate more and more with each hunt.
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Return to Upland Hunting