Turkey 2018

Upland Birds.

Moderator: NuffDaddy

Turkey 2018

Postby don novicki » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:35 am

Not many guys out this morning for the opener. I couldn't get out myself,but took a ride around the hot spots close by. Saw a total of 3 cars in places where it should be packed. Maybe it's the weather but maybe it's just like other aspects of hunting in decline. I don't know what the future holds for hunting anymore. Seems like dam few people getting into it anymore and that's a shame. I may piss and moan about not seeing ducks during the season but I still go out regardless.
don novicki

Re: Turkey 2018

Postby aunt betty » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:51 am

It goes in cycles. The places I hunt anyway. Seems to be about a ten-year thing. Every decade there's a new wave that peters out and the die-hards are all that's left. The hunting goes in cycles as well.
Last year was pretty bleak and if this year is good, bad, or otherwise I'll most likely report that "it sucks and there ain't no ducks no more". :mrgreen:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby don novicki » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:44 pm

Went out today for the first time ever fall hunting and it was spectacular despite my not seeing or hearing any birds. I have no idea how fall turkey hunting is done so I roamed around and just set up here and there hoping for the best. as surrounded by squirrels but didn't have my fluorescent orange on for small game and didn't think to bring any with me. Regardless had a great time enjoying the solitude, watching the leaves fall, and just being out. How do you hunt fall turkeys anyways?
don novicki

Postby don novicki » Fri May 19, 2023 9:58 am

Turkey 2023 is not turning out as planned. The first week to 10 days it was a cold steady rain with temps in the 40's. Now I have been a a number of times, to the old "hot spots" and elsewhere and I have yet to hear a gobble. I'm out well before sunrise, but haven't heard anything. Time's a wasting and it looks like another goose egg as usual, but that's ok because it's been great to be out in the woods. Anyone having any luck?
don novicki

Postby Deltaman » Fri May 19, 2023 12:39 pm

Don, I don't chase them, but I have a neighbor that generally kills several each season, around Magnolia, AL. This year he came up blank on his 1,200 acre lease, which is highly unusual for him. Said weather did not cooperate very well to boot. He did however make a long weekend hunt in KY, and killed a 23 lb gobbler, so at least he got his fix. I've only hunted them once, and with him. We killed two gobblers that morning, and at the time, I don't think I realized just how lucky we were :o
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Duck Engr » Fri May 19, 2023 1:39 pm

Weekend weather was rotten most of the season but I’m fortunate to work for a company owned and run by turkey hunters, so straggling into work at 9 or 10 occasionally during the spring is common place. I managed to get one the first week of May. Had another one sneak in behind me the last week of April to 20 yards. He never made a peep on the ground. I didn’t have a prayer and getting turned around on him, so I let him walk off. Best year of gobbling and gobbler numbers we’ve had on our place in a long time. I suspect it’s due to an adjoining property recently being clearcut.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby don novicki » Sat May 20, 2023 4:27 am

Good to hear DE. :thumbsup:
don novicki

Return to Upland Hunting