Season Opener

Upland Birds.

Moderator: NuffDaddy

Season Opener

Postby PorkChop » Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:31 pm

Grouse and partridge open this Saturday. Starting to see a lot of Hungarian Partridge but the young ones are definitely very small. Most of the sharptail grouse I am seeing are full-size now. I don’t shoot too many sharptails but I like hunting Huns. Unless I find some fully grown ones they will get a pass for a few weeks.
PorkChop

Re: Season Opener

Postby Pennydog1 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:34 pm

would love to hunt them again these are the only two i ever shot and i had to mount them
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Pennydog1

Postby Duck Engr » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:36 pm

I’m jealous of your upland opportunities! Have often thought I’d be much happier and sleep a lot more if I was bitten by the upland bug and not the waterfowl bug.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Ricky Spanish » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:07 am

Duck Engr wrote:I’m jealous of your upland opportunities! Have often thought I’d be much happier and sleep a lot more if I was bitten by the upland bug and not the waterfowl bug.

You've not walked 5 miles for a shot opportunity and missed yet. Around here you'd jump em getting out of the truck in 1975....lol.
Modern farming sort of eliminated the bugs they eat and it got harder and harder. I've not seen a wild pheasant in years. They exist I hear them but seeing one is work.
I could break you of any desire to hunt upland game in a week.
Darren aka dickweed kept records. We shot 2.35 pheasants per hour back in 1980.
Ricky Spanish

Season Opener

Postby Duck Engr » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:30 am

I’ve hunted the southeastern bobwhite my whole life. Watched them go from booming in the 90s on our place to nearly extinct the past 20 years, to maybe making a comeback now. We quit shooting them. Just work our dogs now. I don’t mind the walking (but sure makes you appreciate a horseback ride). I envy PC’s variety available to chase.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby don novicki » Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:50 am

I wish we had quail and Huns here in Pa.. It would be a blast to chase after them, and they are good eating too......
don novicki

Return to Upland Hunting