Huns Surviving

Upland Birds.

Moderator: NuffDaddy

Huns Surviving

Postby PorkChop » Wed May 24, 2023 5:52 pm

Just a little video I put together of a few of the different groups of Hungarian Partridge I would see throughout the day. Most of these were filmed in March so pretty safe bet the older ones will be breeding and the non breeders will be around for hunting season. Majority of these are in a couple square mile area so just a very small sample size of what will be out there this fall! Pretty excited especially since I can walk again

PorkChop

Re: Huns Surviving

Postby Deltaman » Thu May 25, 2023 7:34 am

Neat video PC, Thanks!
Huns are foreign to me, and I got's questions. Do they not get a winter color change to white, or have they already changed from white? Seems like they would be easy prey for hawks. They sure aren't scared of your truck, and I laughed when you drove up on the sleepers. Do they hold tight like quail? Hunt them with dogs, or do you walk fields like Pheasant hunting, or both? All white meat, or mixed like chicken and Pheasant?
Glad your recovery is going well, and it looks like next fall you will have some fun chasing them.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby PorkChop » Thu May 25, 2023 7:53 am

They do not change colors. The only ones that change color are ptarmigan that I know of. I loved chasing them up in Alaska. It’s a lighter meat close to white. Most People prefer to eat them over pheasants. They do hold tight and when you flush them they typically don’t go more than a 100 yards. We usually flush them while out pheasant hunting. They can scare the life out of you when they flush. We typically only take a couple out of each group. I was hoping to get some video of them altogether tight. They look like one bigger rock out in the middle of the field. They are using their body heat to melt the snow so they can get to the food and I guess they are also staying warm. In regards to being picked off majority of the birds of prey migrate south from here. Usually ravens are the only thing we see. Also snowy owls do a number on them. In a normal winter I may see over 30 snowy owls but this year I think I spotted five. Here is one of them

PorkChop

Postby Deltaman » Thu May 25, 2023 8:05 am

Thank You Sir, very interesting!
I never realized that Hawks migrate, we have them all year here, several types.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby PorkChop » Thu May 25, 2023 8:24 am

I will try to remember to get some video this fall but some days it’s nothing to see 20 or more out in a field as the work their way south.
PorkChop

Postby Deltaman » Thu May 25, 2023 12:07 pm

I'll bet! As game rich as that area is, bet they hate leaving :lol:
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby PorkChop » Thu May 25, 2023 5:46 pm

I forgot to point out that in the second clip and maybe a few others you can hear them talking. They are not a very loud bird but when it’s dark out and you’re setting up decoys you can hear them pretty good so if the waterfowling is going slow you kind of know where to head if you want to shoot some.
PorkChop

Postby Duck Engr » Thu May 25, 2023 6:32 pm

PorkChop wrote:I forgot to point out that in the second clip and maybe a few others you can hear them talking. They are not a very loud bird but when it’s dark out and you’re setting up decoys you can hear them pretty good so if the waterfowling is going slow you kind of know where to head if you want to shoot some.
Sounds like a wingshooter’s paradise!
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Return to Upland Hunting