And the verdict is...

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

And the verdict is...

Postby Rick » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:23 am

From the "Your call may be a little late" thread:

Rick wrote:As a follow-up: the supposed to be as close to the old half-scroll Daisy Cutter insert as they could get it that wasn't remotely so did, in fact, make a jam-up teal call when given an appropriate reed trim. Isn't, to my ear, as dead on the real deal as the teal tuned MVP I also use, but a September bluewing season of side-by-side comparison found the DC appreciably more effective in the marsh, while the MVP was tops over ag land. Have no idea why that might be, but it was time and again.

Given it's versatility for that and other extra squacky species, as well mallards, it's going to start the season in what's long been the original version Microhen's "quiet" call loop. And I'm guessing the birds will keep it there, but we'll see...

We saw, and that call proved about as versatile as a call could be and earned its "permanent" loop on the lanyard.

Also gave a Lares T1 a go and found it a nice little call, but not one that could bump anything I now use.

Wanted to try an Alan Stanley Deceiver but got no response from Stanley to either e- or voicemail. Perhaps he's packed it in?

Anyway, what's new with you guys? Anyone else try anything new and exciting - or not?
Rick

Re: And the verdict is...

Postby Rick » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:04 pm

johnc wrote:I exclusively used Lares T1 duck--1.375---worked well for me---********NEVER STUCK EVER*********

That is deal breaker for me---rain---no stick,,,heavy saliva---no stick,,,in the feed---no stick---my other calls would stick at some point through duration of the hunt in the feed...

The T-1 never stuck on me, either, though I'm normally not bad for sticking anything. Did create an occasional sticking issue when I changed reeds on an old (12-14yrs?) MVP that had never previously been prone to it, but three swipes down 320 emery cloth on a hard surface apparently cured that. Did a lot of extra spitty teal straining through it after that and couldn't stick it.

johnc wrote:I am playing with RM custom calls CWF---I can run but not fitting me real well,have feeling reed length not dialed in yet...

I tried a CWF last year, and it drove me buggy by being sensitive to toneboard orientation. Ran much like a recent DC oriented one way and more like an old one when oriented another, and I couldn't stand having to look to see what I was going to getting something that handled well or like a rice truck. And it's best wasn't going to bump anything I'm using.

johnc wrote:I ran Nathan's old school daisy cutter---may be best duck call I have ever tried...

James gave me an early engraved (large bored) hedge Short Barrel that had been Nathan's that may have been the duckiest single reed I've run. But aside from producing a degree of realism I don't find particularly useful, it didn't fill a niche, and I gave it to Jack Cousin, who might appreciate its history, and perhaps the call itself, more.
Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:48 pm

I just met him at the Riceland shop, and he seemed a great kid, anxious to soak up all he could learn there. Suspect he'll be successful at whatever he turns his hand to.
Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:58 am

You might want to try reaching him. Could just be I tried to catch him when "life was in the way". Know I got a case of the old guy arse over it and said screw 'im, but may eventually get over it...
Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:45 pm

Would appreciate that.
Rick

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:46 am

I had a T1 for awhile. Wasn't really impressed with it. Ended up trading it for a Black Monster with a LA cut. Wish I had another Lares though. Neat calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Rick » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:51 am

I'm thinking the wizardry at Lares is in selling pre-cut reeds, so most anyone can tune for what best fits them without having the gumption to cut their own.
Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:13 pm

Rick wrote:Wanted to try an Alan Stanley Deceiver but got no response from Stanley to either e- or voicemail. Perhaps he's packed it in?

Finally heard from Allan, and he is "taking a break from call making," but a used one from another source arrived in today's mail. Found the presumably stock call extra loud, crisp and without quirks. Pretty much what I'd hoped: a louder call that requires no appreciable shift in air presentation from that used with my usual calls. Looking forward to fine tuning a reed for it and seeing what the high and hauling birds think next fall...

(Also be interesting to see how much crap I catch for running a lavender call. Came from California...)
Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:45 am

johnc wrote:"nice"

Given its lavender color, "sweet" might be more appropriate. Have visions of telling the guys, "I'm breaking out the girlie call." on those super high flight days.

Will be interesting to see if I can run it wide open long enough to reel in the extra high and wide ones. Just hacking around the house without shaking up the neighbors, it seems like this presumably stock boring may be all or more than I've wind for, so I'll be anxious to see what you think of the more open one.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:37 pm

Every time I get handed an MVP I have a really hard time handing it back. I don't care what color.
Never hunted one because people keep making me hand them their call back. :clap:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:07 pm

Experimented with tuning today and had one reed that made my old tin ears hurt like the internal scream of the P-119s we made our first jumps from did my then keen young ones. Didn't leave it like that but perhaps should have for giggles, snorts and never knows.

Afraid to try to replicate it, as I figure the neighbors were probably plenty close enough to calling the cops when I shut the operation down with a couple I'm anxious to try when the MVP is falling short.
Rick

Return to Duck Call Forum