What's on your lanyard?

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Re: What's on your lanyard?

Postby Rick » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:04 pm

Have to admit I've yet to try a C&S and a Canuck was the only GK. Did give a CWF a go season before last.
Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:19 am

"Beta Prototype." Love him or hate him, ya gotta give Stephens his due as a marketing man.

(Please know that's not a knock on a call I've only heard video of.)
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:49 am

The same calls that I had on the lanyard last year.

Few years back went thru a "organizing" phase. Was constantly rep-arranging calls to where I had to actually look for what I was grabbing. Too complicated so I put two of the same call on the lanyard and called it done.
"One call does it all" but you should carry a spare for when it's icy cold.

Discovered that the wooden one is much less prone to sticking. Acrylic is crisp and loud but will stick in a minute once it hits around 20 degrees or less.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby CavinCastleberry » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:02 pm

Ok.. guys I have 4 duck calls DC200, Duck commander cut down reacher and the duck picker and jase series Hi BALL... Poly carbon. I have bought a Lot of duck Call before... but nothing BEAT DUCK COMMANDER DUCK CALLS.. :duck: :D
CavinCastleberry

Postby Rick » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:16 pm

My parties shot a lot of ducks over a couple Cutdown Reachers in the mid '80s: one as Robertson tuned them and the other tuned appreciably higher. I moved on from them to a prototype "Louisiana sound" call (which just meant "double-reeds in what's still RNT's 'Original' model call") Ronquest sent me way back when Buck Gardner had whatever his deal was with Butch for RNT. Found it much more versatile than the Duck Commanders and, subsequently, good single-reeded calls more versatile than any of the double-reeds.

But those old Cutdowns were good to me, even at a time when Robertson had pulled them from the market due to poor sales and was only making "a few for me, thee and what few others can run 'em."

Re: his old wooden Duck Commanders (that may have been designated as "200"), I didn't like them as well as the Cutdown Reachers but found one in my call drawer when looking for something for a then-six-year-old grandson, and had the boy ducky on it in no time at all.

Might tickle you to see a shot of what a mutual friend showed me was Robertson's trademark back when they were in college together:
P1030187a.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Rick

Postby CavinCastleberry » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:15 am

I love Duck Commander calls :duck:
CavinCastleberry

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:47 pm

Today I had to select what I'm running this season.
Five (5) calls. I'll drop the goose call and add the wood duck call in November.
I'm pretty well set up thanks to Gary Perinar.
16619031794254941114691239843471.jpg

Those two hedge calls are sweet and tuned to go both ways. Can use them like cutdowns or j-frame.
Custom. 8-)
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Ricky Spanish

Previous

Return to Duck Call Forum