spring steel supplier for reelfoot lake call

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

spring steel supplier for reelfoot lake call

Postby driftwood » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:31 pm

Jeff George here from TN. I am (or was) a custom call maker until I got sick a few years ago. Then the kids were the perfect age to allow zero time for call making. In any case, I am back and recently had a gentleman call me wanting three of my arkansas style calls. I told him was wasn't really making calls anymore, then he offered me $400 bucks for three calls. I couldn't refuse, so I dug to lathe out from under a bunch of junk, found my mylar supply, and even found enough cocobolo and bodarc to make about 20 calls. Never did find my good gouges though, still digging for those. Made the calls and really enjoyed myself. I guess back several years ago I was making calls just to eat, we really needed the money as a young couple with young kids. I really didn't enjoy it that much back then.

So, I am back to making Arkansas style calls, I'm all good on that front. Now the kids are grown, even the new one (DON"T do 23andME or Ancestry.com gentleman, F'n trust me on that)! Do you know how many kids you have? I used to as well. But, Reelfoot calls!!! I found my old metal stock for reeds, but I have very little. I went to order more from my old supplier, Lyons metal, I THINK, can't find Lyons metal, out of business I guess. My problem, I can't remember what the metal is called. Is it "spring steel"? It looks like brass, but it is HARD, I'm sure it is spring steel, .008" thick.

If anyone can tell me what the metal is called, and where to buy it, and I don't have to buy a dump truck full of it, I will send you one of my custom made, Bodark wood, Arkansas style duck calls. I will engrave your name on the brass band (and my name identified as the maker), ASAP. My name is Jeff George from Lebanon TN, Fittingly enough I am featured on page 69 of "Custom Calls Volumn II, by Mr. James C. Fleming Jr. Note: I have seen some on here some talking about buying brass shim stock from Hobby Lobby, that is BS as straight brass is way to soft to make reeds. So if that is the answer you're going to send me, you loose! It has to be some type of "spring steel" that is brass colored. So, the first one to give a legit answer for where to buy and what is the metal called wins the prize.
Thanks for your help in advance.
Jeff
driftwood

Re: spring steel supplier for reelfoot lake call

Postby Rick » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:42 pm

Aren't a lot of us on this board and none I'm aware of into Reelfoot style calls, but there at least used to be a few who can probably help you at this link: https://www.refugeforums.com/forums/duck-goose-calling-forum.8/
Rick

Postby driftwood » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:46 pm

Rick wrote:Aren't a lot of us on this board and none I'm aware of into Reelfoot style calls, but there at least used to be a few who can probably help you at this link: https://www.refugeforums.com/forums/duck-goose-calling-forum.8/

I wondered how active the board is, am hoping the appeal of getting a free call would help motivate some to find the answer.
driftwood

Postby Deltaman » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:00 pm

I've no idea, but Monel came to mind............ from a Buckingham book reference. So many different alloys today, so doubtful, but had to mention.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Ricky Spanish » Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:45 pm

Don't know exactly what is is but it's an alloy of steel for sure. It don't rust.
That's from a Glynn Scobey reelfoot call.
To figure out exactly what it is I'd have to destroy it.
16807310893281308138495896211177.jpg

Duck calls go in circles and I'm sorry but the loud ass cutdowns aren't working anymore. 2 seasons ago they were hot. Ducks are ignoring loud calling and what works now will just piss you off.
They figured out the mondos...
Good luck with recreating the reeelfoot call thing.
:thumbsup:
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Rick » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:26 pm

Ricky Spanish wrote:Ducks are ignoring loud calling ...

Shhh! Ours don't know that yet.
Rick

Postby PorkChop » Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:49 pm

Rick wrote:
Ricky Spanish wrote:Ducks are ignoring loud calling ...

Shhh! Ours don't know that yet.

Ours either...
PorkChop

Return to Duck Call Forum