Cut Feed Basics (video)

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Cut Feed Basics (video)

Postby Shaun Patrick » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:49 am

Here is a little webinar for you guys, let me know what you think, if you like it, hate it, anything you would like to see changed. You are my test group.

Shaun Patrick

Re: Cut Feed Basics (video)

Postby Westie25 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:01 pm

Very thorough. Nice video.
Westie25

Postby Olly » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:52 pm

Very nice, if you do a whole series I'll sticky them!

Thanks for sharing.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Shaun Patrick » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:50 pm

Thanks guys I really appreciate it, I plan on doing at least a couple more, kind of want to see what kind of feedback I get and what things people want to learn more about.
Shaun Patrick

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:54 pm

Thats some good info there man. I just need to make myself spend more time practicing.

I wouldnt mind seeing a little bit on the bouncing hen call. I dont know if its really a useful call, but I like the sound of it and I've been throwing it in here and there just to mix up the tempo of stuff.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Goldfish » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:10 am

That's awesome man. I've been curious about that call actually. Now I've got a new thing to learn now that I know how you do that. I've only got 10 months to learn it, better get crackin.

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby huntfishnv » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:01 pm

Good video, will diffidently help me.
huntfishnv

Postby Shaun Patrick » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:25 am

Fellas I truly appreciate all the feedback I have been getting about the vid, and I really hope it helps people out. The second webinar is going to be about air presentation, cadences, and for 3 leg gonna do some bouncing hen in there as well. Final webinar is going to be about how I approach hunting situations and why I do the things I do, kind of a bring it all together type deal. If anyone would like anything else in any of these let me know in the next few days, thanks again guys

Shaun :beer:
Shaun Patrick

Postby obxbufflehead » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:29 am

Do you think you could do one all about comp calling. Hiccup calls, cutdowns, ect. I'm wanting to get into comp calling and it would really help.
MOhuntingGuy wrote:I bet they were home schooled and lack the necessary social skills in life to take a joke.
obxbufflehead

Postby Goldfish » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:10 pm

Man, I'm having trouble popping the air into the call like that. I can do it without the call to my mouth, but when I put the call up, I must change my posture or how I'm holding my mouth or else maybe it's that added bit of back pressure, but whatever it is I can't keep running that sequence.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Shaun Patrick » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:30 pm

It is muscle memory, you are just getting used to it, do it over and over again, even when you don't have a call, and you will have it. That is how I learned to do a rolling feed, I walked around for about a month straight doing ticka ticka ticka under my breath lol, and I am dead serious about that. I am sure I looked a little funny but hey... :thumbsup: Keep working at it, you will get to a ahh haa moment soon.
Shaun Patrick

Postby Shaun Patrick » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:44 pm

obxbufflehead wrote:Do you think you could do one all about comp calling. Hiccup calls, cutdowns, ect. I'm wanting to get into comp calling and it would really help.

I could talk a bit on comp stuff, but I am by far not an expert. Are you wanting main street or meat calling? By hiccup I think you are talking about a bouncing hen, which will be in the next video. Cutdown calls...I would embarrass myself all over the inter webs lol. That is one call that I am truly just starting to learn the ins and outs of, I can make it bark a bit but they are tough, its all air presentation with those.
Shaun Patrick

Postby assateague » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:44 pm

I love those "A HA" moments! :lol: The one that really sticks in my mind was when running a turkey diaphragm call finally "clicked".
assateague

Postby obxbufflehead » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:57 pm

Shaun Patrick wrote:
obxbufflehead wrote:Do you think you could do one all about comp calling. Hiccup calls, cutdowns, ect. I'm wanting to get into comp calling and it would really help.

I could talk a bit on comp stuff, but I am by far not an expert. Are you wanting main street or meat calling? By hiccup I think you are talking about a bouncing hen, which will be in the next video. Cutdown calls...I would embarrass myself all over the inter webs lol. That is one call that I am truly just starting to learn the ins and outs of, I can make it bark a bit but they are tough, its all air presentation with those.

I'm not sure yet. I have some friends that call for a local call maker and they usually do pretty good. I think meat just because ya the closest thing to actually hunting calls.
MOhuntingGuy wrote:I bet they were home schooled and lack the necessary social skills in life to take a joke.
obxbufflehead

Postby jehler » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:19 pm

I figure any guy with two first names knows what he is talking about
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Shaun Patrick » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:25 pm

assateague wrote:I love those "A HA" moments! :lol: The one that really sticks in my mind was when running a turkey diaphragm call finally "clicked".

That still hasn't happened for me with those bad boys, I have like 8 of them that have been given to me, and I try to use them and just gag my a$$ off lol. Yeah I can put some contest stuff together.
Shaun Patrick

Postby Shaun Patrick » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:26 pm

jehler wrote:I figure any guy with two first names knows what he is talking about

:lol:
Shaun Patrick

Postby obxbufflehead » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:32 pm

Shaun Patrick wrote:
assateague wrote:I love those "A HA" moments! :lol: The one that really sticks in my mind was when running a turkey diaphragm call finally "clicked".

That still hasn't happened for me with those bad boys, I have like 8 of them that have been given to me, and I try to use them and just gag my a$$ off lol. Yeah I can put some contest stuff together.

Not to sound prideful but I'm pretty good on a diaphragm call. Or so I've been told.
obxbufflehead

Postby Shaun Patrick » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:58 pm

Yeah I am waiting for the day where I have to explain to my wife about why I vomited on the floor while practicing my turkey calling...
Shaun Patrick

Postby assateague » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:59 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
assateague

Postby obxbufflehead » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:00 pm

Shaun Patrick wrote:Yeah I am waiting for the day where I have to explain to my wife about why I vomited on the floor while practicing my turkey calling...

Hahahaha my dad always says I'm going to swallow on one day and ill sound like a turkey for the rest of my life.
obxbufflehead

Postby huntall6 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:22 am

let me start by saying that you can call much better than i. and did a great job on the video. :beer:

as far as the instruction, i think a toned down version would get more play from inexperienced callers. throwing in clucks, bouncing hen, and intertwining the tic,tic with the ka,ka is a little confusing/overwhelming for someone who doesnt first have each sound down pat. personally, i am a "stage" learner, as i feel most are. let them know to get the individual sounds down first, and in a quick cadence, then start to intermingle them. same with the rolling feed. start slow with a ticka ticka ticka, and move gradually (with a ton of 'walking around' practice) to a quicker tikatikatika. then explain the transition to a quack or cut feed, or hunt and peck.

^^just trying to give you what you asked for in a constructive critisism. great video for intermediate callers though. :thumbsup:
Redbeard wrote:Buy not when. I hit that damne pole

Feelin' Fowl wrote:Big dick cakes are delicious!
huntall6

Postby Shaun Patrick » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:02 am

Huntall I truly appreciate the criticism, Thats what I was looking for too. Truthfully there is a little bit of method to the madness here, and I would rather not show all my cards on the inter webs if possible in case some things come to fruition. I was looking to target more of an intermediate caller level to see what they can get from it before the inexperienced guys. sending you a PM.
Shaun Patrick

Postby RickC » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:00 pm

Shaun, thats the best explanation and demo I've seen so far on that call. I think I might actually be able to get it down. Looking forward to the next.

Blessings,
Rick
RickC

Postby MuddyWaterWarlock » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:54 pm

Shaun Patrick wrote:

Trim the tape or get a call with a small frame and see if that helps :thumbsup:
Spoken to MuddyWaterWarlock
aunt betty wrote:This is personal. You are a douchebag.
Hey douche, when a seeds sprouts roots...what is it called?

Spoken to 3Leg
aunt betty wrote:You are one of them dipshits who wants to tell me how to build a clock cuz I asked for the correct time.
Fuck you dipshit.
MuddyWaterWarlock

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:55 pm

MuddyWaterWarlock wrote:
Shaun Patrick wrote:

Trim the tape or get a call with a small frame and see if that helps :thumbsup:

Yep. Pretty much all of the "higher end" mouth calls have extra tape and an aluminum frame so you can bend the frame slightly to fit your pallet and trim the tape to your preference.
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:17 am

You said you took the reed and cork out, then start blowing. The call made a lot of noise considering it had no reed or cork in it. HOW do you do that? :mrgreen:

The cut-feed is the only feed call I EVER use despite the fact I can do the rolling feed for minutes on end. I practiced way too much on that.

High-ball and cut-feed is ALL you need to kill mallards. I'll work them in circles with the high-ball and when I get them on the RIGHT flight-path and have them in a correct landing pattern I will switch to cut-feed and reel 'em in.
Sorry about using airplane terminology but they are like little airplanes. They land into the wind just like a real aircraft. The have to come in at the right height, speed, and momentum much like an actual aircraft. Only they can fly MUCH better.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:30 pm

I love working mallards. Although I've had those extremely windy days where they come in nothing like airplanes. Its more like a graceful crash landing where they do a fast, tight half circle and drop right in. I love it when that happens.
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:09 am

MOhuntingGuy wrote:I love working mallards. Although I've had those extremely windy days where they come in nothing like airplanes. Its more like a graceful crash landing where they do a fast, tight half circle and drop right in. I love it when that happens.

Yep, they can do what they want. The whole point of my analogy is...
When you make it hard on them they won't land unless they really want to be there bad. How many times have you had them circle several times and leave? That's a signal that something ain't right. Decoy placement or calling usually.

I mean if you somehow could call them in backwards a few times on purpose you'd maybe get the idea that there's a certain way they like landing on each particular day.
Have hunted holes that had 4 or 5 different ways the ducks liked coming in depending on the wind. Had to hunt the same hole for a week to learn.
As soon as I figured that out and adjusted my setup...I was killing ducks every day no matter what the wind was doing.

The ducks like doing things the easy way but will do stupid stuff occasionally. Don't count on it.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Shaun Patrick » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:33 pm

Bumping this up because I am posting the second video today.
Shaun Patrick

Return to Duck Call Forum