tuning your calls

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Re: tuning your calls

Postby jehler » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:32 pm

Tomkat wrote:Thats what I am talking about!! Thank you.

I keep wondering why you don't log on to DHC and PM Rick hall?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Tomkat » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:48 pm

jehler wrote:

If you didn't have that cigar sticking out of your mouth I would kiss you right on the lips! Even though you are not ready to join the Libertarian party, you are a good dude, even with that child molester charge hanging over your head. or was that a midget?

(pussy, cry baby, ball less bastard, to name a few reasons) YEP, the REJECTED ME JEHLER :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Tomkat

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:59 pm

Tomkat wrote:
jehler wrote:

If you didn't have that cigar sticking out of your mouth I would kiss you right on the lips! Even though you are not ready to join the Libertarian party, you are a good dude, even with that child molester charge hanging over your head. or was that a midget?

(pussy, cry baby, ball less bastard, to name a few reasons) YEP, the REJECTED ME JEHLER :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

You know how I know you're gay
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby aunt betty » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:04 pm

And then there is this...
http://www.fieldandstream.com/forums/hunting/birds/nunber-two-reason-hunters-walk-out-duck-woods-empty-handed OUCH...I'd say the guy who wrote the blog hunts alone all the time. There's a reason we do that.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Tomkat » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:18 pm

rebelp74 wrote:You know how I know you're gay

watch it coon ass or I will get you over the stump too
Tomkat

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:23 pm

Tomkat wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:You know how I know you're gay

watch it coon ass or I will get you over the stump too

Homey don't play that!
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Tomkat » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:24 pm

aunt betty wrote:And then there is this...
http://www.fieldandstream.com/forums/hunting/birds/nunber-two-reason-hunters-walk-out-duck-woods-empty-handed OUCH...I'd say the guy who wrote the blog hunts alone all the time. There's a reason we do that.

No argument from me. I told you I am killing ducks. I just want to sound better doing it. If they are coming into the spread, we don't utter a sound.
Tomkat

Postby aunt betty » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:57 am

Funny gift-call I got. Cute.
1363359410026.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
aunt betty

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:11 pm

Is that a whistle?
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby aunt betty » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:19 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:Is that a whistle?

Na, it has a reed or something and sounds horrible.
My daughter got it for me for $5. It's something unique for the lanyard. :mrgreen:
aunt betty

Postby RickC » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:10 am

TomKat, reading your post about that single quack made me think of a couple incidents, one just last week. I live 5 minutes from a lake and I'll usually get up one morning in my days off, grab some coffee, binos and the bulldog and go check out the wildlife.
Last week I parked maybe 70 yards from the water, got out with the dog and there were 2 drake mallards and a hen sitting there. Both drakes took off to the left then swung around at about 400 yards started flying off to the right. The whole time this hen is sitting there calling with a single quack every 2 - 3 seconds and not loud at all and never changing inflection or volume.
Those two drakes were going away and at around 600 yards 1 drake peals off and flys straight back to the hen with me and the dog still standing there.
The other incident was during the season and I had a nice group of 20 mallards fly by at around 300 yards. I through out 3 single low volume quacks with a Throwback small bore and a few pealed off and dropped in to my spread.
Bottom line is I've found that a lot of times some single low volume quacks, especially in open water areas works just fine.

Sent from my wife's iPad using Tapatalk HD
RickC

Postby Tomkat » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:08 am

And I still use that single quack. I try to call the least amount possible to get them in. Sometimes I hit them with a drake whistle too.

Sent with a bad ass phone from an undisclosed location in central Kansas.
Tomkat

Postby aunt betty » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:55 pm

I have also heard this single-quack thing but...
It was in timber. Often a flock of mallard ducks will land in the boat lane or the next hole over.
They form a group and swim around kind of resting nervously.
Have heard it many times. A hen will quack, one two three seconds, quack, one two three seconds quack...repeat.
Real loud.

I think they're ducks that spotted me and swam over to tease. :duck: :duck: :duck:
aunt betty

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:01 pm

I always thought that the repeating hen quacks were more if a danger call. Ive heard it many times in the flooded corn fields...usually before light. A hen will land in the deeks and swim around for a min then make a bunch of repeating quacks then take off.

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Tomkat » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:14 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:I always thought that the repeating hen quacks were more if a danger call. Ive heard it many times in the flooded corn fields...usually before light. A hen will land in the deeks and swim around for a min then make a bunch of repeating quacks then take off.

It has been very dangerous for the ducks that have flown over my spread to investigate.
Tomkat

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:28 pm

Tomkat wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:I always thought that the repeating hen quacks were more if a danger call. Ive heard it many times in the flooded corn fields...usually before light. A hen will land in the deeks and swim around for a min then make a bunch of repeating quacks then take off.

It has been very dangerous for the ducks that have flown over my spread to investigate.

:lol::lol:
I'll have to give that a try this fall. I do a lot of single quacks but I space them out at least 5 seconds. Don't think I've ever blown more than a 4 note call and had a duck respond to it.

NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby RickC » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:29 pm

I've heard that as well but it was s much faster string of quacks. This hen was continually calling but the time between was longer and softer
RickC

Postby banknote » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:38 pm

RickC wrote:

I've heard that as well but it was s much faster string of quacks. This hen was continually calling but the time between was longer and softer

I had a single, nervous mallard hen land about 75 yards down the bank from my setup, and as soon as it was on the water it repeatedly quacked at 3-5 second intervals. Just "quack", wait a few seconds and "quack," and it was swimming closer the whole time. So I just mimicked her, repeating every quack, for several minutes. She swam all the way in to the dekes, realized she'd made a big mistake, and beat it the hell out of there.

My newbie ears have noticed what seems like a difference in inflection between a contented quack and a nervous/alarmed quack. The former sounds like a statement, with neutral, flat inflection. The latter sounds more like a question, with an upward inflection. When I blow I try to sound less like I'm asking and more like I'm telling.
banknote

Postby RickC » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:52 pm

What you described as she swam towards you sounds just like what I heard.
Nothing like hearing the real deal to learn from
RickC

Previous

Return to Duck Call Forum