Daisy cutter air lock????

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Daisy cutter air lock????

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:20 pm

Been working on learning my new RNT DC and its an awesome call but I get an air lock every once in a while. It usually happens when I'm doing the choppy cut feed. Like the dig-dig-dig dug-dug dig-dig call. Doesn't happen with the rolling feed digga-digga-digga-digga-digga. Every once in a while it will do it if I get on it with a real hard hail call. Is this something that can be fixed with a little different tuning or is it a part of the call I need to learn to avoid? This is my first single reed and my first high end call so it very well could just be me. And I'm a pretty "wet" caller witch might have something to do with it.

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Re: Daisy cutter air lock????

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:27 pm

The biggest thing with single reeds is air control. Is it kinda squeaking when you do the feed? If so, that's a good thing. On tuning, take the cork and reed out. Place the reed in all the way. Pull out just a hair, hold it down firmly and slide the cork back in. This will lengthen the reed, it'll make it a little harder to blow but much less likely to air lock. I have a longer than normal reed in most of my calls.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:34 pm

Thanks! That's what I was thinking too, just wasn't sure.
I'm getting good sounding feed chatter IMO With the exception of of an air lock every once in a while.

NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:38 pm

Try the longer reed length. It'll allow you to put more air in the call without it locking up. Also, anchor you're the tip of your tongue behind your bottom row of teeth, it'll help cut down on the spit.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:50 pm

The longer reed worked good. But it don't take much. I only moved it a cunt hair and there was a big difference. I already keep my tongue down. I learned that with the double reeds because I would lock those fuckers right tight with the a few greeting calls if I didn't.

NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:52 pm

Your right, it doesn't take much at all to change the tone. Now that you've lengthened it, try to blow it out. You'll notice a big difference in the amount of air it can take.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:57 pm

It takes almost twice as much to blow it out but it doesn't take a ton more to make a good high quack on it. I think I found my happy medium.

NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:33 pm

:thumbsup:
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby assateague » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:49 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:The longer reed worked good. But it don't take much. I only moved it a cunt hair and there was a big difference. I already keep my tongue down. I learned that with the double reeds because I would lock those fuckers right tight with the a few greeting calls if I didn't.

Nothing like blowing a locked up/froze hail call across the marsh at light+30 to make you feel like a jackass.
assateague

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:52 pm

assateague wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:The longer reed worked good. But it don't take much. I only moved it a cunt hair and there was a big difference. I already keep my tongue down. I learned that with the double reeds because I would lock those fuckers right tight with the a few greeting calls if I didn't.

Nothing like blowing a locked up/froze hail call across the marsh at light+30 to make you feel like a jackass.

:lol::lol: done that before???

NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:55 pm

Allegedly.
assateague

Postby assateague » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:55 pm

Hopefully people just thought a donkey was getting ass-raped, and not that there was some dummy on a call.
assateague

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:59 pm

If the birds aren't flying I've been know to do a little "practicing"
A donkey getting ass raped kind of sums it up.

NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:18 am

If you want to understand duck calls and what does what...
I can tell you what to read about.

There are two things:
Natural Frequency
The way a pendulum works.

It's a physics lesson. Sorry.

When you alter the length of the reed (it's a very small pendulum) alters the natural frequency at which it "likes" to vibrate at.
Learn about Natural Frequencies and how a pendulum works...and you know everything there is to know other than how the "bore" affects the volume.

When you lock up a call it's not from blowing too hard (well kinda).
It's from blowing too fast. You might be going "huh"???

When you blow a duck call you can change the volume of air AND THE SPEED.
If you're blowing the same volume of air with every blow...you can change the shape of the inside of your mouth and force the call to lock. Cajun Squeel is basically doing this but maintaining just enough speed to squeek but not lock the call.

How I control the volume and speed when I call...is with my voice-box. I hum, grunt, whatever.
Once you start doing the grunting thing...you will find that all the locking of reed problems go away.
Why? Because you set up a certain frequency with your voice.

In other words...the air is vibrating before it even gets to the reed. This HELPS the call get going AND forces it to change frequencies because of the air "force" being choppy. If you aren't using voice into the call...you're doing it wrong and that is why you have reed-lock problems. Get it?

You will never, ever hear another mechanical engineer give a lecture on the physics of a duck call...PAY ME!
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:38 am

:lol::lol:
I kinda understand how the tuning works but I just wanted to make sure what I had to do to reduce the likelihood of air lock. I do put quite a bit of voice into my call. I learned that on the double reed. What I am figuring out now is that you can change the way a call sound by either having the tone board at the top of the barrel or at the bottom of the barrel. I can get some good high pitched squeals out of my DC if I put the insert to the top and blow the air into the bottom of the barrel. And the opposite if the insert is at the bottom. I get the good deep raspy quacks of a boss hen. It's amazing all the noises you can get out if one single reed call.

NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby TheWrathPrince » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:15 am

rebelp74 wrote:The biggest thing with single reeds is air control. Is it kinda squeaking when you do the feed? If so, that's a good thing. On tuning, take the cork and reed out. Place the reed in all the way. Pull out just a hair, hold it down firmly and slide the cork back in. This will lengthen the reed, it'll make it a little harder to blow but much less likely to air lock. I have a longer than normal reed in most of my calls.

Thanks bro.
The military don't start wars. Politicians start wars. - William Westmoreland [url=http://www.knife-planet.com/military-knives.html]military knives[/url]
TheWrathPrince

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:21 pm

NuffDaddy wrote::lol::lol:
I kinda understand how the tuning works but I just wanted to make sure what I had to do to reduce the likelihood of air lock. I do put quite a bit of voice into my call. I learned that on the double reed. What I am figuring out now is that you can change the way a call sound by either having the tone board at the top of the barrel or at the bottom of the barrel. I can get some good high pitched squeals out of my DC if I put the insert to the top and blow the air into the bottom of the barrel. And the opposite if the insert is at the bottom. I get the good deep raspy quacks of a boss hen. It's amazing all the noises you can get out if one single reed call.

It's not so much about where the insert is in the barrel as much as air presentation. All you have to do to get the "cajun squeal" is pinch your lips down at the end of each note. Esentially what you are doing is using the air to push the reed up off the toneboard. It causes the reed to kinda lock and that results in the squeal. Just pinch lips down to the position that you would have them if you were drinking from a straw, that usually is all it takes.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:29 am

rebelp74 wrote:

It's not so much about where the insert is in the barrel as much as air presentation. All you have to do to get the "cajun squeal" is pinch your lips down at the end of each note. Esentially what you are doing is using the air to push the reed up off the toneboard. It causes the reed to kinda lock and that results in the squeal. Just pinch lips down to the position that you would have them if you were drinking from a straw, that usually is all it takes.

What if I've never heard a duck do a cajun squeal before?

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:44 am

Eric Haynes wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:

Then your in the wrong spot. :-D

NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:00 am

Eric Haynes wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:

you ever hear a duck do a ten note high ball?

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:17 am

Goldfish wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:

you ever hear a duck do a ten note high ball?

sent from a phancy fone

I have never heard a duck do either one. But I di hear a hen do a string of 40 something quacks today while fishing. Never have heard that before.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Goldfish » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:05 pm

That's kinda my point. You may not have heard it before, but birds do that (not the 10 note highball, just other sounds)

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:29 pm

I've heard several ducks squeal out the end of their notes. Wild mallards that were eating pecans, acorns, rice, corn, millet. Also my pet mallards when they got a throat full if corn, squeal. Sometimes there is no quack, just a squealing, almost whistling type of sound.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:54 pm

Goldfish wrote:That's kinda my point. You may not have heard it before, but birds do that (not the 10 note highball, just other sounds)

sent from a phancy fone

Sorry you didn't catch it. I was making fun of calls that ducks don't make, but competition callers have made popular. I love it actually. When I'm hunting public land, the guy 500 yards away is screaming away doing hails and high balls at everything flying within a mile. Makes for easy competition.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Goldfish » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:39 pm

Gotcha

sent from a phancy fone
Goldfish

Return to Duck Call Forum