Oh snap, look what I got!

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Re: Oh snap, look what I got!

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:15 pm

I dont have any wood...check that....I don'thave any material to make a call out of...send me a price and your address and I'll send you some money.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:00 pm

jehler wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
jehler wrote:I had a guy on DHC make me and jr calls from a chunk o bearing grade lignum vitea, kinda cool an they sound real good

Tlegere?

not familiar with that name Eric, here is the stuff
http://www.lignum-vitae.com/

Hehe, I know what lignum is. I was asking if Tlegere on DHC made you the call. He made an amazing duck call for me a few months ago. Honestly more detailed than any other wood call I've seen or owned.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:31 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
jehler wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
jehler wrote:I had a guy on DHC make me and jr calls from a chunk o bearing grade lignum vitea, kinda cool an they sound real good

Tlegere?

not familiar with that name Eric, here is the stuff
http://www.lignum-vitae.com/

Hehe, I know what lignum is. I was asking if Tlegere on DHC made you the call. He made an amazing duck call for me a few months ago. Honestly more detailed than any other wood call I've seen or owned.

nope, Gary at custom committed calls.
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby don taylor » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:10 pm

Nice call. I have 2 calls with the Echo's in them, they're a very good insert.

I have a few ideas I wouldn't mind doing, if you'd entertain the idea of making a call or 2.

I have a old curly maple rifle stock that my dad made 40 years ago. There's a crack in the forearm now and has since I've already repaired it once, it's been deemed unusable. If I can bring myself to cut off a chunk, I'll send It to you to work with for me.

I have an homemade acrylic olive shaped insert and have been thinking about buying an cut (or even uncut) BSOD insert, I'd like to have a barrel made for them. Something along the long, slender lines of a Watkins shaped barrel and then something more along the lines of an Olt shaped for the cut down barrel. If I supply the materials, send pics and the inserts, would you turn barrels?
don taylor

Postby Westie25 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:12 pm

Absolutely!
Westie25

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:53 pm

Those calls look great westie. I can't wait to get my hands on one.
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Redbeard » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:30 am

Very nice. How do I sign up? Like Don I have an old stick off one of grandpa's shotguns I'd like to use
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Westie25 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:41 am

Just gotta let me know what you want.
Westie25

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:29 pm

You gotta charge these guys extra for all the special requests westie.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Westie25 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:13 am

3legged_lab wrote:You gotta charge these guys extra for all the special requests westie.

I'm thinking triple! Nah, I'm just super happy for the opportunity to do some work for them.
Westie25

Postby Goldfish » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:15 pm

So what is the deal with the calls you are making? Single/double reed? Looks like wood with acrylic insert? Is it a store bought insert or are you making you own?

All I have for decent calls right now is an RNT macrohen, which has no volume what so ever to it. I did just win a call from C&S Custom Calls, but I haven't been told what nor have I received it yet. He is finishing up making a new call, not sure if it'll be that or something else of his that I win, but I am looking for a louder call to go with my macrohen.

Also, you can't beet the feel of a wooden duck call, and I'm pretty sure what I'll be getting from Stelz is either an acrylic or poly call.

P.S. You ever figure out a name for your lil bidniss you're starting up?
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Westie25 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:13 pm

Nope. No name. And it's an echo insert. Can be single or double reed.
Westie25

Postby Olly » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:17 pm

Flatbill Calls TM
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby assateague » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:09 pm

X2
assateague

Postby Goldfish » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:46 am

The Westie Widowmaker
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby don taylor » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:09 pm

Gaboon ebony and indian ebony, Westie. Have you ever worked with them? If I buy a 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 14 inch piece, would anybody like the other half of it to have a call barrel turned? Very hard, very dense wood. Here's a link.

http://www.bellforestproducts.com/indian-ebony/
don taylor

Postby Olly » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:17 pm

don taylor wrote:Gaboon ebony and indian ebony, Westie. Have you ever worked with them? If I buy a 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 14 inch piece, would anybody like the other half of it to have a call barrel turned? Very hard, very dense wood. Here's a link.

I'll go half with you on a piece if westie is up to it. I'd like a 2nd westie call.

Sent from Tapatalk
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Westie25 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:19 pm

I haven't ever. But shouldn't be too awfully bad.
Westie25

Postby Olly » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:22 pm

I think that dark wood would look sweet with a bone white insert.

Sent from Tapatalk
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Westie25 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:25 pm

That would look good.
Westie25

Postby Olly » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:29 pm

To bad ivory is illegal haha

Sent from Tapatalk
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Westie25 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:33 pm

White acrylic would be sharp.
Westie25

Postby Olly » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:36 pm

You should step that game up and start making your own inserts. You could then make them in any color you wanted.

Sent from Tapatalk
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Westie25 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:38 pm

I'm in the process of learning how honestly. If I had a CNC lathe, it would be game over. And it will happen.
Westie25

Postby Olly » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:46 pm

I like it.

Sent from Tapatalk
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:33 pm

don taylor wrote:Gaboon ebony and indian ebony, Westie. Have you ever worked with them? If I buy a 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 14 inch piece, would anybody like the other half of it to have a call barrel turned? Very hard, very dense wood. Here's a link.

Westie25 wrote:I haven't ever. But shouldn't be too awfully bad.

For a really dark hard wood I would recommend African black wood. It has great tonal qualities, a little slower to turn down but it polishes up like glass. I think doc, and the dude both chose it for their barrels, ask them what they think of it. One of the more spendy woods I've bought, but in small sizes for calls its not bad though.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Westie25 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:46 pm

Honduras rosewood

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342395926.177081.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Westie25

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:03 pm

This is a call I got from a guy over at DHC who makes calls for military that are deployed, for free. I was lucky enough to get him to sell one to me(he wanted to give it for my service, but I wanted to pay) for next to nothing. I love it, but I wondering the size of those Echo inserts. I would like a flared insert for some more range/volume for hunting open water. Right now it is perfect for timber.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Westie25 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:08 pm

That's a sharp looking call.

The echo inserts are 5/8". Echo sells what they advertise as an open water insert. I think they're 4 bucks.
Westie25

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:11 pm

Westie25 wrote:That's a sharp looking call.

The echo inserts are 5/8". Echo sells what they advertise as an open water insert. I think they're 4 bucks.

In wood?
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Call Forum