Oh snap, look what I got!

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Postby Westie25 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:11 pm

Poly I'm afraid.
Westie25

Re: Oh snap, look what I got!

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:17 pm

Westie25 wrote:Poly I'm afraid.

Not that I'm against poly, I just want to keep it rustic looking. Wish they at least had an ivory-ish color.

The Barrel is Cocobolo and the insert is granadillo. Both are dense, just the insert isn't flared at all. When you start making inserts let us know. Maybe you can design something for me. :beer:
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:27 pm

Also, when you order the insert from them, does it come all assembled? As in reed, cork etc.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Westie25 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:33 pm

Yep, comes tuned.

I'm going to come up with an insert this week.
Westie25

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:36 pm

Westie25 wrote:Yep, comes tuned.

For 5 bucks I'll order a couple. Can't seem to go wrong with that price.

I've never blown a double reed so maybe I'll get one of each.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Westie25 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:38 pm

Can't go wrong for 5 bucks.
Westie25

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:26 pm

I still can't wait to get my dick mittens on one of your calls westie. They look sexy.
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:21 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
Westie25 wrote:Yep, comes tuned.

For 5 bucks I'll order a couple. Can't seem to go wrong with that price.

I've never blown a double reed so maybe I'll get one of each.

I like double reeds, personally. I don't think they're any more difficult to run, personally.
assateague

Postby don taylor » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:38 am

I almost always get a double when I order a call. If you don't like it, take out the 2nd reed and viola! You have a single reed. They don't always need tuned after, either. Just yank it out.

I think most people would agree a double is easier to run than a single reed, Jim. For people who have a tough time, a double is what is generally recommended. You're making a likely sacrifice in volume, but they're considered easier to control.

Those echo poly inserts are nice. IMO they're best set up as a double. Sean Mann sells inserts as well, so does kwackwacker. I have a list of a few guys that make them for sale, if anybody is interested. SMO sells poly short reed goose inserts for pretty dang cheap, if you guys wanted to have an easy to run short reed made.
don taylor

Postby Westie25 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:41 am

That's good info. Thanks don!
Westie25

Postby don taylor » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:33 am

On the subject of making inserts, what you have to do is avoid reinventing the wheel. You'll be hard pressed to come up with a design that hasn't already been done. You'll find yourself looking for inspiration from the inserts on your shelf. Let somebody else do the trial and error work, because there is a lot of that in making inserts. Find what you like and do your best to copy it. It will still sound different than the original.

Here's another place to find inserts, you should all love this.

http://www.foilesstraitmeat.com/store/- ... 38171.html

I know that everybody just loves and adores Foiles, but to pick up a used acrylic showtime insert for $25 buck to make a homemade call is a steal. I've found them for that price listed there multiple times. I've put ads on the other site, in the classifieds, for well worn or broken calls. I've gotten everything from a daisy cutter with a cracked barrel for $20 to a SMH insert without the guts for $25. Pitch the barrel, polish the insert, you're 1/2 way there.
don taylor

Postby assateague » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:11 am

I thought I always heard people complaining about double reeds. My mistake.
assateague

Postby Goldfish » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:29 am

MOhuntingGuy wrote:I still can't wait to get my dick mittens on one of your calls westie. They look sexy.

I don't like the way you think...
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:19 pm

assateague wrote:I thought I always heard people complaining about double reeds. My mistake.

I don't like them personally. They sound great for greeting calls and other basic stuff but they can't cut loose and do the fun stuff like my singles. Is that necessarily a bad thing? Probably not and should more often than not leave all the showy stuff at home. But sure is nice to have and is fun when a trick you have actually works.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:37 pm

Goldfish wrote:
MOhuntingGuy wrote:I still can't wait to get my dick mittens on one of your calls westie. They look sexy.

Haha. Was wondering if anybody would notice that.
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:47 pm

MOhuntingGuy wrote:
Goldfish wrote:

Haha. Was wondering if anybody would notice that.

I didnt bat an eye at it. We use "dick skinners", as in "Get your dick skinners off my shot gun. Or sometimes when you need to clean it up its "booger hooks".
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:42 pm

I use booger hook as well.
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Duck Call Forum