Serious Question

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Re: Serious Question

Postby assateague » Thu May 23, 2013 4:02 pm

Rick wrote:
aunt betty wrote:Don't listen to the "ricks" of the world...

Yeah, if he did that, he'd be out showing his calls to folks.

Or he could listen to you and make hedge calls no one knows exist.

When Eli Haydel started, he'd show up most anywhere duck hunters gathered with one of his DR-85s sitting in a glass of water. And when it caught someone's eye, he'd pull it out and show them what the soon-to-be most popular duck call in the world sounded like.

The world didn't just up and decide to beat a path to West Monroe to meet the Robertsons, either. Phil gathered his gumption and calls and got out there and sold them, and himself, face to face. He was remarkably similar to the soft spoken, laid back current, "as seen on TV," version of himself back when he was worried about making enough on his first video to pay for it. But he was out there putting himself and some pretty nice little calls in front of as much of the public as his budget allowed.

First time I can recall paying attention to RNT, if I'd even heard of it previously, there was a young fellow I didn't know from Adam, named Jim Ronquest, on my phone trying to sell me calls to peddle through the camp. I didn't buy, but we developed a friendship that led to his sending me a prototype I liked and used guiding. The relationship that began with that cold call from a fellow doing his damnedest to carve a niche for himself in the waterfowl business has led to my indirectly selling gosh knows how many calls for RNT. And Jim has built an Army of "brothers" like me. Having someone like Ronquest as a spokesman logging countless booth hours visiting with folks, never pushing a sale but always anxious to help someone get a better handle on their calling, has done far more for their sales to hunters than all the contests RNTs have ever won.

It's a given that all of those guys had good products, but I can't help but think that what's made their companies the giants they are has been getting out there and showing hunters what they're selling, instead of waiting for hunters to come to them.

Pardon my ignorance, especially if this is common knowledge that everybody knows but me- but why did he keep it in a glass of water?
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Thu May 23, 2013 4:04 pm

assateague wrote:
Rick wrote:
aunt betty wrote:Don't listen to the "ricks" of the world...

Yeah, if he did that, he'd be out showing his calls to folks.

Or he could listen to you and make hedge calls no one knows exist.

When Eli Haydel started, he'd show up most anywhere duck hunters gathered with one of his DR-85s sitting in a glass of water. And when it caught someone's eye, he'd pull it out and show them what the soon-to-be most popular duck call in the world sounded like.

The world didn't just up and decide to beat a path to West Monroe to meet the Robertsons, either. Phil gathered his gumption and calls and got out there and sold them, and himself, face to face. He was remarkably similar to the soft spoken, laid back current, "as seen on TV," version of himself back when he was worried about making enough on his first video to pay for it. But he was out there putting himself and some pretty nice little calls in front of as much of the public as his budget allowed.

First time I can recall paying attention to RNT, if I'd even heard of it previously, there was a young fellow I didn't know from Adam, named Jim Ronquest, on my phone trying to sell me calls to peddle through the camp. I didn't buy, but we developed a friendship that led to his sending me a prototype I liked and used guiding. The relationship that began with that cold call from a fellow doing his damnedest to carve a niche for himself in the waterfowl business has led to my indirectly selling gosh knows how many calls for RNT. And Jim has built an Army of "brothers" like me. Having someone like Ronquest as a spokesman logging countless booth hours visiting with folks, never pushing a sale but always anxious to help someone get a better handle on their calling, has done far more for their sales to hunters than all the contests RNTs have ever won.

It's a given that all of those guys had good products, but I can't help but think that what's made their companies the giants they are has been getting out there and showing hunters what they're selling, instead of waiting for hunters to come to them.

Pardon my ignorance, especially if this is common knowledge that everybody knows but me- but why did he keep it in a glass of water?

Back in those days, calls wouldn't blow when wet. Most were made of wood and would swell, making the call not work. His was plastic and would work when wet.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby assateague » Thu May 23, 2013 4:06 pm

Shows my ignorance :lol: Thanks brother!
assateague

Postby jarbo03 » Thu May 23, 2013 4:06 pm

My guess is to show it was different than standard wood calls of the time. Completely waterproof and was hard to stick. That is just a guess.

Sent from a gnarly phone with a kickstand
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby rebelp74 » Thu May 23, 2013 4:10 pm

assateague wrote:Shows my ignorance :lol: Thanks brother!

Not a problem.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby jarbo03 » Thu May 23, 2013 4:30 pm

Guess I was late

Sent from a gnarly phone with a kickstand
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby aunt betty » Sun May 26, 2013 10:20 am

Have pondered the wood versus plastic thing.
Naturally I'm leaning towards wood from the get-go.
Wonder why the best guitars and violins in the world are made of wood.
The woodwind section is OK with plastic but not the strings.
An orchestra doesn't perform outside when it's raining or maybe things would be different.
Guess for duck calls, plastic or acrylic is superior but not as beautiful in your hand.

I like things made out of wood. It's a craft thing.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Sun May 26, 2013 10:56 am

A lot of folks prefer wood calls for hunting because they feel it imparts a mellower, "duckier" tone, while others, like myself, prefer acrylic for its crispness or sharper tone. Different strokes. And when you get into high density woods, like African blackwood, there's precious little difference, anyway. Then, too, there's hedge (aka: bois d'arc or osage orange) that's not real dense but hard as heck and imparts a resonance I really like in a goose call - and some others don't hear at all. Price becomes a factor, too, when looking at high end calls, as most shops charge substantially less for wood than acrylic, which both are getting pretty much the same attention to detail not apt to be found in molded plastic calls.

In any event, aesthetics isn't the only good reason many choose wood.
Rick

Postby jehler » Sun May 26, 2013 10:57 am

Ducky192 wrote:yeah thats true but they seem to be selling how do you get your name out there, if no one is buying. Just like to hear your ideas on what may persuade you to try a call you haven't tried before. Are my prices reasonable?
barrel stickers, team names and pro staffers
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Rick » Sun May 26, 2013 11:06 am

jehler wrote:...pro staffers

Can anyone read those words without thinking of the Avery cheerleader squad that gave them such a bad connotation? Probably a lesson there...
Rick

Postby Goldfish » Sun May 26, 2013 1:16 pm

Look plays a part in my decision to buy a call, but hearing others reports' of the call is a bigger reason. Only recently have I bought any calls I couldn't try first also so getting out to local sport shows would be a good start. Just make sure you have a decent selection, and enough on hand when going there. There isn't a big problem with taking orders at shows, but I'd make sure you can turn them out in a reasonable time.

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Ducky192 » Mon May 27, 2013 12:33 am

Thank guys I really appreciate it and will apply all of it and see how I do. With that said anyone in interested in burnished curly maple calls I am offering to you at 50% off. Just use coupon code "wff50" at checkout. I want you to try my calls so I will also fully refund you if you don't like it just send it back and get your money back. Pretty good deal right? This goes for all calls but I know alot of you liked the burnished curly maple calls. http://www.shop.biogamecalls.com/Burnished-Curly-Maple-Duck-Call-141451.htm
Branden de Haas
Bio Game Calls
http://www.BioGameCalls.com
Ducky192

Postby Tiler_J » Mon May 27, 2013 12:55 am

Hey Ducky, what state are you in?
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby Ducky192 » Mon May 27, 2013 1:14 am

CA
Branden de Haas
Bio Game Calls
Ducky192

Postby Tiler_J » Mon May 27, 2013 1:24 am

Ducky192 wrote:CA

Ok, have you tried getting your calls into Kittles in Colusa? They have a good size store, run great deals on shells and everything else. During duck season their store is packed on the weekends. It's not a chain store, but they get a lot of business. If you tried talking to them and getting your calls in their store, with the understanding that you also offer custom calls, it might be a good start. That store is amazingly busy during duck season, every time I go in there they are demonstrating calls to customers. Might give them a try.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby Ducky192 » Mon May 27, 2013 1:55 am

I will definitely contact them Thank you!!
Branden de Haas
Bio Game Calls
Ducky192

Postby Tiler_J » Mon May 27, 2013 2:07 am

Ducky192 wrote:I will definitely contact them Thank you!!

No problem.

They have a great store and a lot of people who shop there. The people who work there know what they are doing and are very helpful. They are always demonstrating calls for customers there, like almost non-stop during duck season. Not being a chain-store might help you get in there also. Plus their store is mostly geared to duck hunting and fishing. It is one of my favorite store to go to for duck hunting gear. Good luck!
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon May 27, 2013 8:30 am

Just my opinion on your website, but under the call description you should give a little more detail.
Like "this call is made from blah blah wood hand crafted and tuned to get that deep raspy call of a boss mallard hen. This call is great for beginners but has the range a veteran caller is looking for."
Or "this call is made from blah blah wood hand crafted and tuned to reach those high notes that are needed for open water situations. This call will do all you need it to do and more."
If people don't know what they are buying they will probably keep looking. If I'm looking for a really deep raspy call I should be able to go on your website and find which call is what I'm looking for. Your quack packer call description is how all of them should be.
And you should look into getting some vinyl decals made and include them in all your orders. The more advertising the better.
With all that said, after I get my paycheck next week I'll be putting in an order. :thumbsup:
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Mon May 27, 2013 8:46 am

Ducky192 wrote:Thank guys I really appreciate it and will apply all of it and see how I do. With that said anyone in interested in burnished curly maple calls I am offering to you at 50% off. Just use coupon code "wff50" at checkout. I want you to try my calls so I will also fully refund you if you don't like it just send it back and get your money back. Pretty good deal right? This goes for all calls but I know alot of you liked the burnished curly maple calls. http://www.shop.biogamecalls.com/Burnished-Curly-Maple-Duck-Call-141451.htm

I'm game. I'll give you a report of it. (names Gordon)
Another thing, are these single reed, double reed?

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon May 27, 2013 9:00 am

Ducky you may want to try getting some calls into Sutter orchard supply in Yuba city also. They also serve a lot of duck hunters during duck season and have a great sporting goods section. If your interested send me a PM and I can talk to the guys over there for you.
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby Ducky192 » Mon May 27, 2013 10:06 am

Thanks guys will do that and Gordon when you order in the comments box specify single or double reed.
Branden de Haas
Bio Game Calls
Ducky192

Postby Tiler_J » Mon May 27, 2013 10:16 am

Bootlipkiller wrote:Ducky you may want to try getting some calls into Sutter orchard supply in Yuba city also. They also serve a lot of duck hunters during duck season and have a great sporting goods section. If your interested send me a PM and I can talk to the guys over there for you.

X2, forgot about that place.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon May 27, 2013 10:18 am

Goldfish wrote:
Ducky192 wrote:Thank guys I really appreciate it and will apply all of it and see how I do. With that said anyone in interested in burnished curly maple calls I am offering to you at 50% off. Just use coupon code "wff50" at checkout. I want you to try my calls so I will also fully refund you if you don't like it just send it back and get your money back. Pretty good deal right? This goes for all calls but I know alot of you liked the burnished curly maple calls. http://www.shop.biogamecalls.com/Burnished-Curly-Maple-Duck-Call-141451.htm

sent from a phancy fone

You just don't look like a Gordon.
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Postby Goldfish » Mon May 27, 2013 11:15 am

Bootlipkiller wrote:
Goldfish wrote:

sent from a phancy fone

I have a feeling I'll regret this... What name do I look like?
Goldfish

Postby jehler » Mon May 27, 2013 11:16 am

Ronald
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon May 27, 2013 11:17 am

Goldfish wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:
Goldfish wrote:

sent from a phancy fone

I have a feeling I'll regret this... What name do I look like?

I ether dildo or Kevin!:) yea you look like a Kevin.
Bootlipkiller

Postby rebelp74 » Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

Is the toneboard on that maple call made from maple? If so, did you treat it or anything?
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Ducky192 » Mon May 27, 2013 6:48 pm

I soak them in thin CA and then san them out i am considering using hedge for the tone boards though and maple exhaust using a tenon joint
Branden de Haas
Bio Game Calls
Ducky192

Postby rebelp74 » Mon May 27, 2013 6:54 pm

Gotcha
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Gunny » Thu May 30, 2013 3:22 pm

You will need packaging, a skew numbering system, and a good supply, before any major retailor will talk with you...
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunny

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Call Forum