Newest call addition

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Re: Newest call addition

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:49 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:Next to the mvp and mondo. It's the best call rnt makes.

Mondo is that good?

I think so. It's a cutdown call, not a typical j-frame.

I know, but most cutdown guys don't like the mondo at all...

I'd be willing to bet that most of those guys have never ran a Mondo. They just don't like a mainstream company trying to capitalize on what they feel to be their traditional playing field.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:52 pm

:thumbsup:
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:52 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:Next to the mvp and mondo. It's the best call rnt makes.

Mondo is that good?

I think so. It's a cutdown call, not a typical j-frame.

I know, but most cutdown guys don't like the mondo at all...

I'd be willing to bet that most of those guys have never ran a Mondo. They just don't like a mainstream company trying to capitalize on what they feel to be their traditional playing field.

What he said. A few of them say the mondo is one of the better cutdowns there are.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:00 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:I've got a coco sb with a problem insert. Needs some work, but it's still pretty awesome.

I can't believe you haven't run one.

What's wrong with it?
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:23 pm

The insert sticks in the barrel. I think it swelled and stripped off some of the finish causing it to stick, rather than slide. It's on both the barrel and insert. It seems like the finish inside of the barrel and on top of the insert set together, and when I unlocked the call, it messed the finish up.

I hope it's ok. It's a really cool cut of wood...

uploadfromtaptalk1383448992431.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1383449022913.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:26 pm

That's a beautiful cut of coco. It should be fine if it just fits more snug. You could always send it to rnt.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:27 pm

I don't remember putting it away wet, but I must have...

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:32 pm

How does your DU mallard hammer sound? I've played with 4 of them and none of them sound that great.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:33 pm

rebelp74 wrote:That's a beautiful cut of coco. It should be fine if it just fits more snug. You could always send it to rnt.

I'm probably going to send it in just to see if it can get "fixed".

I wasn't really shopping for one, but when I saw that cut, I had to have it. I haven't seen anther like it :grin:

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:34 pm

This mvp is righteous!
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:36 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:That's a beautiful cut of coco. It should be fine if it just fits more snug. You could always send it to rnt.

I wasn't really shopping for one, but when I saw that cut, I had to have it. I haven't seen anther like it :grin:

I heard that. From the pics I don't see anything wrong. The finish on rnts peel really bad anyway on the insert. All it looks like is just lacquer peeling. Post a pic of all em.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:37 pm

rebelp74 wrote:This mvp is righteous!

Send it up here.

Sent from my Vox Mortem

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:39 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:

Send it up here.

Sent from my Vox Mortem

You bet, I'll send it with the olt and heat shrinks. Also have an acrylic Gaston on the way, I'll send em when it gets here.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:40 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

Send it up here.

Sent from my Vox Mortem

You bet, I'll send it with the olt and heat shrinks. Also have an acrylic Gaston on the way, I'll send em when it gets here.

Awesome.

Sent from my Vox Mortem

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:45 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:

I heard that. From the pics I don't see anything wrong. The finish on rnts peel really bad anyway on the insert. All it looks like is just lacquer peeling. Post a pic of all em.

I'm pretty sure it's just the lacquer. I'm hoping they can re-do it.

I'll have to get my lanyard out of the bag and I'll post a picture of them all. Nothing too special in the collection at this point.

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:50 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:

I'll have to get my lanyard out of the bag and I'll post a picture of them all. Nothing too special in the collection at this point.

They're all special, some more than others. I don't understand why they dip em in lacquer.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:59 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:

They're all special, some more than others. I don't understand why they dip em in lacquer.

Easiest and most cost efficient I imagine.

Sent from my Vox Mortem

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:27 pm

I meant understand from an I don't like it kind of stand point
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:33 pm

rebelp74 wrote:I meant understand from an I don't like it kind of stand point

It really does look like shit when the band starts peeling the first time you use the thing. I like the oil finish a lot.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:42 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:I meant understand from an I don't like it kind of stand point

It really does look like shit when the band starts peeling the first time you use the thing. I like the oil finish a lot.

Me too, oil is the only way to go imo.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Rick » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:07 am

Had a sweet little acrylic RNT NOS (great truck call without enough ass on top for my field use) I loaned to a fellow to try, and he accidentally broke the cork tab while experimenting with tunings, so I had the shop make me an unfinished hedge insert for it I "finished" with Howard's Butcher Block Conditioner and fell in love with. Unfortunately, so did a SIL, and since I didn't hunt with it, he now does. May have two more made, one for his son and another just 'cause I liked it so.

Just now, however, it inspired me to order a Microhen with an unfinished hedge insert and acrylic barrel cut to the original Microhen dimensions.
Rick

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:13 am

Will they still do it and wasn't the bore smaller on the original?
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Rick » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:23 am

But can you stay on it long enough to reel those far birds the added bore should let you turn?

Fellow gave me a MVP Butch made up for him when he asked for the loudest hunting call he could get. And I found I could turn birds farther off but then too often didn't have the wind left to say on them hard until they'd forgotten about their original destination. Have since experimented some with the air presentation I have to use to stay on a Mondo in that same circumstance, and it makes a big difference with the MVP, too, but what little I've used it in the field hasn't tempted me to bump the old stock MVP that's long been my field first or the Mondo.
Rick

Postby Rick » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:26 am

rebelp74 wrote:Will they still do it and wasn't the bore smaller on the original?

Not sure which call you're asking about, but am unaware of bore changes to either the NOS or Microhen and think they'll build you most anything you want but an old Daisy Cutter toneboard that isn't a replacement for a broken one.
Rick

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:27 am

Rick wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:Will they still do it and wasn't the bore smaller on the original?

Not sure which call you're asking about, but am unaware of bore changes to either the NOS or Microhen and think they'll build you most anything you want but an old Daisy Cutter toneboard that isn't a replacement for a broken one.

The barrel on the Microhen has changed. Not sure about the bore though.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:49 pm

Rick wrote:

The microhen, I thought the first run of the call had a 1/4" bore where the newer have a bigger bore. (I think 3/8")
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:58 pm

Rick wrote:

But can you stay on it long enough to reel those far birds the added bore should let you turn?

Fellow gave me a MVP Butch made up for him when he asked for the loudest hunting call he could get. And I found I could turn birds farther off but then too often didn't have the wind left to say on them hard until they'd forgotten about their original destination. Have since experimented some with the air presentation I have to use to stay on a Mondo in that same circumstance, and it makes a big difference with the MVP, too, but what little I've used it in the field hasn't tempted me to bump the old stock MVP that's long been my field first or the Mondo.

Pretty sure I can. The mvp's that I hunted last season were a comp cut by Butch and one that he bored out for max volume. I didn't have any problems staying on them. I will say this one is easier blowing than both and easier than before I started playing with it. I may, emphasis on may, have a way to keep volume while making a call easier to blow. It's based on the way I cut the end of the toneboard. Simple physics would say it works and it seems too. Idid it with a couple of cutdowns and both are much easier blowing. The cut somewhat forces air to the part of the board that touches the reed vs equally spread out over the board. Again basing this on simple physics that would say, air being spread equally over the toneboard allows air to be wasted through the channel where as this way it's forced straight to the reed. I could be totally wrong but it does seem easier to get started and stay on. I've yet to over blow(air lock) any of them and I've been putting a ton of air into em, much more than I typically would hunting. Even did a half assed mainstreet routine through the mvp, while it doesn't have the "stuttgart" ring, it has a ring so to speak when maxing it out.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Rick » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:36 pm

Sounds neat. Hope the birds like it.

As for the Microhen, mine's a first run and has a more than 1/4" bore, and will get much louder if you jump on it than any of the straight 1/4" bores I've run. Here's a pic of mine that shows the bore pretty well:
Rick

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:39 pm

Mines a first run too but the bore aint nowhere near like that. Mines almost 1/4 all the way through. You got preferential treatment again...

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:50 pm

Rick wrote:Sounds neat. Hope the birds like it.

As for the Microhen, mine's a first run and has a more than 1/4" bore, and will get much louder if you jump on it than any of the straight 1/4" bores I've run. Here's a pic of mine that shows the bore pretty well:

I hope they like it too. That looks like the bore on the one I had that was the second model.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Call Forum