Collections and lanyards

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Re: Collections and lanyards

Postby TNAL45 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:51 pm

jarbo03 wrote:My duck and goose calls, along with whistle total bout $60. Seem to be effective though.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

When you see a lot of animals and can run one well, it doesn't matter all that much about the call. When you see few, you are willing to spend the coin to get em. I can't pride myself on numbers, but I try to pride myself on percentage worked. The method is more important than numbers. I'm sure most hunters are the same way. I once posted up one duck on a terrible morning and was proud. Of course some laughed, but the one duck I saw that day went home with me. Living where I do, most of the animals I see leave with me. And that makes me happy. 6 ducks or not.
I refuse to play any sport that considers water a "hazard".
TNAL45

Postby jarbo03 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:15 am

That's definitely true. My point is I don't think there is a call that sounds so much better it makes the difference if shooting birds or not. Those who know how to call are the ones who shoot birds. If you kisten to birds in the wild, 75% of them sound like shit.
I do have the best looking lanyard anywhere I hunt though.

TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby TNAL45 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:44 am

jarbo03 wrote:That's definitely true. My point is I don't think there is a call that sounds so much better it makes the difference if shooting birds or not. Those who know how to call are the ones who shoot birds. If you kisten to birds in the wild, 75% of them sound like shit.

Jarbo, I wasn't jumping your shit. Far from it. I run what I think sounds best in my hands. That happens to be expensive single reeds. I love the guys that get it done with doubles and cheaper calls. I just can't do that.
TNAL45

Postby jarbo03 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:57 am

I didn't take it that way. Have hunted with a lot of people, regardless of the calls they had in their hand, the same ones sounded ducky. Me on the other hand, I've had one single reed that I felt I sounded good with, it was an upper end Quaker Boy many years ago. Barrel fell out while walking through a marsh, bought the same call, but it wasn't the same. It's all about the right call for you. Works good for me and my buddys, we all like different duck and goose calls, gives a good variety of sound.

TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Goldfish » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:25 am

jarbo03 wrote:That's definitely true. My point is I don't think there is a call that sounds so much better it makes the difference if shooting birds or not. Those who know how to call are the ones who shoot birds. If you kisten to birds in the wild, 75% of them sound like shit.

This is sickingly true. I always made fun of the guys who sounded like complete shit in the swamp, till up in Canada we were sitting there listening and those ducks sounded like shit. Made me sick to think that those guys sounded like a duck with how hard I tried to get it right.

As for geese, I need a good instructor.

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby quacknstack6 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:56 am

assateague wrote:I'm a little disappointed I didn't get a Canuck several years ago. I had a choice between the Canuck and the GVCC PCS. Went with the PCS. While it was a good call, it took too much air, and was too high pitched for me. Oh well.

Assa dropping more than $30 on a call? Dont lie to me, I decided to stick with GK because of the CS. I can call anytime and either talk to Glenn or the big man anytime.
assateague wrote:
Tomkat wrote:AT, will you get that first pintail mounted?

I'll more than likely just mount it right there in the field.
quacknstack6

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:22 am

quacknstack6 wrote:
assateague wrote:I'm a little disappointed I didn't get a Canuck several years ago. I had a choice between the Canuck and the GVCC PCS. Went with the PCS. While it was a good call, it took too much air, and was too high pitched for me. Oh well.

Assa dropping more than $30 on a call? Dont lie to me, I decided to stick with GK because of the CS. I can call anytime and either talk to Glenn or the big man anytime.

I think he got it for free:lol::lol::lol:

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:25 am

Goldfish wrote:

This is sickingly true. I always made fun of the guys who sounded like complete shit in the swamp, till up in Canada we were sitting there listening and those ducks sounded like shit. Made me sick to think that those guys sounded like a duck with how hard I tried to get it right.

As for geese, I need a good instructor.

sent from a phancy fone

I suck on a duck call. I do the basics and thats about it. Being in the north and hunting what I hunt, Mallard call is damn near useless. The Mallards that are here arent shy yet, and divers could care less about your call.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:28 am

Got that right. Whenever I get to worked up over my inability to run a goose call, I hear the real thing, and chuckle to myself. Some of those bastards sound like they're dying as they fly over.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:48 am

assateague wrote:

Got that right. Whenever I get to worked up over my inability to run a goose call, I hear the real thing, and chuckle to myself. Some of those bastards sound like they're dying as they fly over.

Typically they are dying if they fly over:grin:

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:04 am

I never seem to see them fly over very much during season anymore :lol: . Bastards. Last Sunday, I had about 80 of them land in the field 30 yards away, next to the house. If they had stayed to overnight there, it would have been ugly. And I wouldn't have felt even a little bad. But they left to go to the neighbor's pond. Like I said- bastards.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:17 am

assateague wrote:I never seem to see them fly over very much during season anymore :lol: . Bastards. Last Sunday, I had about 80 of them land in the field 30 yards away, next to the house. If they had stayed to overnight there, it would have been ugly. And I wouldn't have felt even a little bad. But they left to go to the neighbor's pond. Like I said- bastards.

Set the plond back up!

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:29 am

If I happen to bend a law or two, that's one thing. But I don't want to go out of my way to see that the opportunity to bend is there! :lol:
assateague

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:36 am

I've got quite a few cheapo calls that work just fine. Heck, I've still got a DR-85 I probably won't ever take off. But there is something about purchasing and running the high end calls. Makes me feel better about myself. Although, I will say you get what you pay for when it comes to goose calls. Yeah, I can pick up a cheapo 20 dollar goose call and make some honks and moans out of it but there is no range and volume control. That GK I recently picked up just before season is awesome. I can get super low and quiet to extremely loud and high pitched. I love that call.
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:38 am

I agree, to a point. I think a lot depends on the person and their style. I'm by no stretch a great caller, but it works. I found a call for $25 last summer that I can run better than any of the high dollar calls I've had, by a long shot. Since I can run it better, it tends to have more range, also. But I would like to try that GK Canuck I almost bought, just to say I tried it.
assateague

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:50 am

I'm about to add an RNT Mondo to my lanyard. When I do that (don't stroke out assa) I'll have probably $550+ hanging around my neck.
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby quacknstack6 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:34 pm

MOhuntingGuy wrote:I'm about to add an RNT Mondo to my lanyard. When I do that (don't stroke out assa) I'll have probably $550+ hanging around my neck.

Mine is the same way MO, it's a sickness for me. For me I only have my OSDC, RM, Comp Slayer and Speck slayer. My orange Canuck stays in the blind bag just in case.
assateague wrote:

quacknstack6

Postby aunt betty » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:21 pm

Olt model L22 goose call.
1360434003240.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:25 pm

Olt model 77 goose.Check out the old school lanyard that's in perfect condition.
1360434274573.jpg
aunt betty

Postby Goldfish » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:40 pm

MOhuntingGuy wrote:I'm about to add an RNT Mondo to my lanyard. When I do that (don't stroke out assa) I'll have probably $550+ hanging around my neck.

This is why I want a floating lanyard

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby RickC » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:35 pm

Dont have any just call Pic at the moment but this is what I usually go out with.
Committed Customs Goose, Throwback Smallbore and a Yentzen double reed plus a whistle.

Blessings,
Rick
RickC

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:45 pm

Goldfish wrote:

This is why I want a floating lanyard

sent from a phancy fone

This is why my lanyard gets put in my center console of the truck in the morning before we leave and once we get to the ramp, it doesn't come off my neck until I'm back at the truck.
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:19 pm

RickC wrote:Dont have any just call Pic at the moment but this is what I usually go out with.
Committed Customs Goose, Throwback Smallbore and a Yentzen double reed plus a whistle.

Blessings,
Rick

Man Rick, that is a beautiful picture

sent from a phancy fone
Goldfish

Postby aunt betty » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:12 am

I have too many calls.
Olts, RnT's, Echo's, Faulk's, Haydel's, Sure-shot Yentzen, CCC and some that I don't even know what brand they are.
The Model 66 Olt is classic.
Killed lots of ducks over Faulk's wa-11 model.
The yentzen has lured quite a few ducks to their deaths.
The CCC Throwback is a true winner. Out of all my calls I feel the most confident blowing on that one.

That CCC throwback, the Olt model 66, and an Olt D2 is all I need.
arkansas2013 265.jpg

And my Beretta 390.
arkansas2013 438.jpg
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:21 am

1360506064575.jpg
aunt betty

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:27 pm

I guess its time to post an updated picture with TNAL's lanyard (love that thing btw)

Field Proven Double Shot
Foiles SMH
GK/Dakota Decoys X-treme Honker
RNT Mondo

MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby quacknstack6 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:54 am

MOhuntingGuy wrote:I guess its time to post an updated picture with TNAL's lanyard (love that thing btw)

Field Proven Double Shot
Foiles SMH
RNT Mondo

How do you like that X-treme Honker?
assateague wrote:

quacknstack6

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:29 am

Absolutely love it. Took a while for the guts to get broke in and I had to tune it a little bit for my preference but it's awesome.
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:05 am

It does matter how the call sounds. There's a reason the guys that hunt the Black River area use cutdowns.
A cutdown call sounds really crappy up close. Too loud and raspy and...harsh. Walk 50 yards away and listen to one though. Get in the woods when you do it. The way they sound is perfect and you can tell the ducks, "hey, get your duck azz over here".

Tried it with daisy cutter, short barrel, timbre, and the ducks liked the cut downs and the CCC Throwback. (Timber)
I have a feeling that them cut down calls will work on big water and field situations.

Will also say I was a critic of the cut downs. They are too high priced.
WTN's recipe for building one...
you need the dust from the horns or two unicorns etc.
They are real and they work if you know how to drive one.
Try a CCC Throwback. You gotta grunt or it don't work right.
Sometime I'll do a call demo with no reed in the call so y'all can hear what I do.
Kinda sounds like I'm growling into the call.
aunt betty

Postby TNAL45 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:44 pm

MOhuntingGuy wrote:I guess its time to post an updated picture with TNAL's lanyard (love that thing btw)

Field Proven Double Shot
Foiles SMH
RNT Mondo

That's why I sent ya an extra present. :thumbsup:

As promised QS6:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360950168.583462.jpg
TNAL45

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Call Forum