Collections and lanyards

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Re: Collections and lanyards

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:24 pm

TheDude wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
huntfishnv wrote:
MOhuntingGuy wrote:Might as well post up what I got.

From left to right,
Dakota Decoys (GK calls) X-treme Honker
Foiles Straight Meat Honker
DR-85 insert crammed into a BGB Death Whistle barrel
And my new Field Proven Double Shot
And a couple DU banquet bands because I want to feel cool and look like I've shot bands before.

That lanyard doesn't even seem like it would fit around my neck.

Same one I have and I hate it. Damn clips are a pain to put on

I use the same clips on my lanyards and they are great. The problem is that zipper braid is tighter than dick's hatband.

Indeed it is, hate it. I do love.the clips though. During early goose and early duck I clip it to the zipper on my jacket. Right now I have my goose call on a single lanyard and the duck call on my zipper.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby TNAL45 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:57 pm

obxbufflehead wrote:
TheDude wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
huntfishnv wrote:
MOhuntingGuy wrote:Might as well post up what I got.

From left to right,
And a couple DU banquet bands because I want to feel cool and look like I've shot bands before.

I use the same clips on my lanyards and they are great. The problem is that zipper braid is tighter than dick's hatband.

What braid do you use on your lanyards?

Little of this and a little of that. My personal lanyard uses a cobra braid though. Thinking about switching back to a cobra/rope braid combo though.
I refuse to play any sport that considers water a "hazard".
TNAL45

Postby obxbufflehead » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:10 pm

TheDude wrote:
obxbufflehead wrote:
TheDude wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
huntfishnv wrote:[quote="MOhuntingGuy"]Might as well post up what I got.

From left to right,

Little of this and a little of that. My personal lanyard uses a cobra braid though. Thinking about switching back to a cobra/rope braid combo though.[/quote]
What's the rope braid? I haven't heard of that. I can do a little snake braid but I won't make any lanyards with it on it. To much of a pain in the ass to tie.
MOhuntingGuy wrote:I bet they were home schooled and lack the necessary social skills in life to take a joke.
obxbufflehead

Postby obxbufflehead » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:17 pm

TheDude wrote:
obxbufflehead wrote:
TheDude wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
huntfishnv wrote:[quote="MOhuntingGuy"]Might as well post up what I got.

From left to right,

Little of this and a little of that. My personal lanyard uses a cobra braid though. Thinking about switching back to a cobra/rope braid combo though.[/quote]
My personal lanyard is all cobra braid. I like that it lays flat on my neck.
MOhuntingGuy wrote:I bet they were home schooled and lack the necessary social skills in life to take a joke.
obxbufflehead

Postby banknote » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:02 pm

I got crafty yesterday and made a lanyard. Left the drops a little long figuring I could shorten them later, if needed. The yellow beads were used to finish two lines that could have been additional drops, but I figured 5 is more than enough.

Left to right:
1. Red Leg (primary call right now)
2. Primos Whistle
3. Some DU banquet give away, circa early '80s, I think. Got it out of my dad's old box of duck gear. It's a decent single reed that's starting to give me some good notes. Any idea what it is?
4 & 5. My dad's old Mallardtones. They blow really soft and sound great in tight spots/timber. Called in my first solo kill a couple weeks ago with #5. Mallard drake was sitting on the water about 200 yards down a slough, so I gave him a "Quaaaack... chuck... chuck... chuck...." He got up, flew straight into my spread and died.
banknote

Postby banknote » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:53 pm

banknote wrote:Image
I got crafty yesterday and made a lanyard. Left the drops a little long figuring I could shorten them later, if needed. The yellow beads were used to finish two lines that could have been additional drops, but I figured 5 is more than enough.

Left to right:
2. Primos Whistle
3. Some DU banquet give away, circa early '80s, I think. Got it out of my dad's old box of duck gear. It's a decent single reed that's starting to give me some good notes. Any idea what it is?
4 & 5. My dad's old Mallardtones. They blow really soft and sound great in tight spots/timber. Called in my first solo kill a couple weeks ago with #5. Mallard drake was sitting on the water about 200 yards down a slough, so I gave him a "Quaaaack... chuck... chuck... chuck...." He got up, flew straight into my spread and died.

I don't know where the picture above went. Here it is, again.
lanyard_640.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
banknote

Postby banknote » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:10 pm

Nobody reads this anyway though, right?
banknote

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:42 pm

banknote wrote:Nobody reads this anyway though, right?

I do, and that's all that matters.

sent from my Galaxy S3 using tapatalk 2
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:44 pm

Left to right:
2. Primos Whistle

I love it when that sort of thing happens. Doesn't happen very often for me, but when it does, I love it.
assateague

Postby banknote » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:45 pm

assateague wrote:

Left to right:
2. Primos Whistle

I love it when that sort of thing happens. Doesn't happen very often for me, but when it does, I love it.

I've tried to make it happen again, but to no avail. Must have been one dumb/horny/lonely drake.
banknote

Postby TNAL45 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:11 pm

Basically my collection has been reduced to what I actually run now. I'm kicking myself for letting a few go
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358899897.458881.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
TNAL45

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:50 pm

I reeallllyyy want to add an RNT Mondo to my lanyard. Played with them a few times now and its starting to win me over.
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby TNAL45 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:49 pm

MOhuntingGuy wrote:I reeallllyyy want to add an RNT Mondo to my lanyard. Played with them a few times now and its starting to win me over.

Same here. Really feel like it could replace the OSDC.
TNAL45

Postby quacknstack6 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:13 pm

TNAL45 wrote:
MOhuntingGuy wrote:I reeallllyyy want to add an RNT Mondo to my lanyard. Played with them a few times now and its starting to win me over.

Really like the wingert whistle man, that is badass.
assateague wrote:
Tomkat wrote:AT, will you get that first pintail mounted?

I'll more than likely just mount it right there in the field.
quacknstack6

Postby TNAL45 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:42 pm

quacknstack6 wrote:
TNAL45 wrote:

Really like the wingert whistle man, that is badass.

When it was brand new, it was starkly red/white. The white has yellowed with time, but it is still a great sounding and looking piece. I highly recommend his whistles.
TNAL45

Postby quacknstack6 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:58 pm

I cant really go and take a picture of my lanyard setup right now. I am sure you will get the Idea though.
1. RM Gold Digger in Yellow Cedar Burl
2. Gk Comp Slayer in Birds Eye Maple
3. Ivory Full Scroll DC
assateague wrote:

quacknstack6

Postby TNAL45 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:54 pm

quacknstack6 wrote:I cant really go and take a picture of my lanyard setup right now. I am sure you will get the Idea though.
3. Ivory Full Scroll DC

We run pretty similar lanyards. I must admit I run GK OTEs in my G3.
TNAL45

Postby TNAL45 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:55 pm

TNAL45 wrote:

And I was wrong about this. :lol:
TNAL45

Postby quacknstack6 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:59 pm

TNAL45 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:I cant really go and take a picture of my lanyard setup right now. I am sure you will get the Idea though.
3. Ivory Full Scroll DC

Cousin Glenn and Uncle Bob have made a little money from me to say the least. If you ever get the chance run a comp slayer with the orange guts, you will throw the G3 out the window I promise. Here you go TNAL I have a comp slayer to match this is the first call of this color and the comp slayer is #1 of the first 25 in black and gold.
assateague wrote:

quacknstack6

Postby TNAL45 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:09 pm

quacknstack6 wrote:
TNAL45 wrote:
3. Ivory Full Scroll DC

Cousin Glenn and Uncle Bob have made a little money from me to say the least. If you ever get the chance run a comp slayer with the orange guts, you will throw the G3 out the window I promise. Here you go TNAL I have a comp slayer to match this is the first call of this color and the comp slayer is #1 of the first 25 in black and gold.

Nice! Those orange BIGs are impossible to find now. I'm sure there are better calls out there, but I look at goose calls as shells for guts. Basically you can restrict them or open them up, and the G3 is about as wide open as I have seen.
TNAL45

Postby quacknstack6 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:15 pm

TNAL45 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:
TNAL45 wrote:
3. Ivory Full Scroll DC

Nice! Those orange BIGs are impossible to find now. I'm sure there are better calls out there, but I look at goose calls as shells for guts. Basically you can restrict them or open them up, and the G3 is about as wide open as I have seen.

I have a set of the Orange, Original Cluckers, multiple OTE's, and too many self broken in Edge with E3 and E4 reeds. I am having the wood comp slayer shipped over to where I am. It is a first run of the wood line up, with OTE's. I may be able to get you a set of the orange if you are looking for them, give Glenn and them enough time to get back from Burlington and I will give him a shout and see what he has lying around. They are also coming back out with the Jack Miner call, but you didnt hear that from me.
assateague wrote:

quacknstack6

Postby TNAL45 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:22 pm

quacknstack6 wrote:
TNAL45 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:
TNAL45 wrote:
3. Ivory Full Scroll DC

I have a set of the Orange, Original Cluckers, multiple OTE's, and too many self broken in Edge with E3 and E4 reeds. I am having the wood comp slayer shipped over to where I am. It is a first run of the wood line up, with OTE's. I may be able to get you a set of the orange if you are looking for them, give Glenn and them enough time to get back from Burlington and I will give him a shout and see what he has lying around. They are also coming back out with the Jack Miner call, but you didnt hear that from me.

Quit dangling crack in front of an addict. :lol:
TNAL45

Postby quacknstack6 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:25 pm

TNAL45 wrote:Quit dangling crack in front of an addict. :lol:

Glenn is a good friend of mine, shut up and take it pussy. I want a set of the Blue's, but Wade wont sell me his :lol: :lol: :lol: .
assateague wrote:

quacknstack6

Postby TNAL45 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:32 pm

quacknstack6 wrote:

Glenn is a good friend of mine, shut up and take it pussy. I want a set of the Blue's, but Wade wont sell me his :lol: :lol: :lol: .

I am sort of in the market for a wood, mellow, smaller bore call that is still geared toward honkers...
TNAL45

Postby quacknstack6 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:37 pm

TNAL45 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:

I am sort of in the market for a wood, mellow, smaller bore call that is still geared toward honkers...

I would go with either the comp slayer or the little giant. My comp slayer in acrylic doesn't really have a high end to it, it is pretty mellow with a deep low goose sound. Haven't really had much experience with the LG so I wont put any info out on it because I could be wrong and I don't want to steer you wrong. When I got my comp slayer I sower that it was going to be a balls to the wall call and turned out that it wasn't. It is plenty quick but it is more for hunting locals and finishing migrators. I love my Canuck though, it is an all around great call and I can do anything on it. I put the orange guts in it once and those things are idiot proof, I gave them to a friend and told him to tune it and they just lined right up.
assateague wrote:

quacknstack6

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:32 pm

TNAL45 wrote:
TNAL45 wrote:

And I was wrong about this. :lol:

:lol:
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:42 pm

I'm a little disappointed I didn't get a Canuck several years ago. I had a choice between the Canuck and the GVCC PCS. Went with the PCS. While it was a good call, it took too much air, and was too high pitched for me. Oh well.
assateague

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:43 pm

After seeing these pics, I am too embarrassed to show mine.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:51 pm

jarbo03 wrote:After seeing these pics, I am too embarrassed to show mine.

I still use my BG spitfire over any other call. My goose calls are expensive, thats all i know how to use.

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:54 pm

My duck and goose calls, along with whistle total bout $60. Seem to be effective though.

TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Call Forum