Collections and lanyards

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Re: Collections and lanyards

Postby Cox Cypress » Sun May 17, 2015 1:05 am

Have a few calls Olts, Docs, RNTs, etc. This is what I use. Can't stand to have a bunch of stuff dangling around my neck. Keep spares in back pack.

[urlImage][/url]
Cox Cypress

Postby #1WATERFOWLER » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:41 pm

IMG_5415.jpg

Just the basics.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
#1WATERFOWLER

Postby Duck Engr » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:56 pm

A lot of ducks have been fooled with that whistle on the left.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby #1WATERFOWLER » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:58 am

Duck Engr wrote:A lot of ducks have been fooled with that whistle on the left.

Agreed. I like to give them to kids (or adults that can't blow a duck call) so they can participate in the calling.
#1WATERFOWLER

Postby Rick » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:47 am

#1WATERFOWLER wrote:

Agreed. I like to give them to kids (or adults that can't blow a duck call) so they can participate in the calling.

Believe it a safe bet they've just not run off a lot more ducks than they've tolled. Know that's been the case in my blinds, as I'm another who hands them out, so kids can "help" call.
060a.jpg
Rick

Postby #1WATERFOWLER » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:47 pm

Rick wrote:
#1WATERFOWLER wrote:

Believe it a safe bet they've just not run off a lot more ducks than they've tolled. Know that's been the case in my blinds, as I'm another who hands them out, so kids can "help" call.
060a.jpg

Great pic!
#1WATERFOWLER

Postby Ricky Spanish » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:36 am

Old D2 keyhole cutdown THE AUNT BETTY CUT
Screenshot_20210211-043313_YouTube.jpg
Ricky Spanish

Postby plainsman » Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:35 pm

can you tell I have a preference? :lol:
plainsman

Postby Josh carpenter » Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:05 pm

This is an S Jostrand call
7DB01D85-69E4-4857-B611-A1D118F97D44.jpeg
Josh carpenter

Postby Pennydog1 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:58 pm

a garrow box goose call from the 50s
Pennydog1

Postby Rick » Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:46 am

[quote="Pennydog1"]a garrow box goose call from the 50s[/quote

Curious where it was made? Was a California writer who touted friction speck(?) calls, but never shared a photo, when I was young (which wasn't yesterday), but I'd not previously heard of any friction goose call east of the Mississippi.
Rick

Postby Ricky Spanish » Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:12 am

It wasn't me this time.
Have been known to bump 12 year old threads.
Nice work whoever did it.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Pennydog1 » Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:43 am

rick ive tried to do some research on this call but didnt find much it was made in wisconson
Pennydog1

Postby Rick » Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:04 am

Must be a Canada call, then. But I'm virtually certain the only one I'd heard of prior was for specks. Still suffering brain lock on who used to write about it, but know he was Californian and wrote for the original Petersen's Hunting.

Lot easier for me to imagine a friction speck than Canada, too, how's it sound?l
Rick

Postby Pennydog1 » Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:20 am

rick ,it makes a really lifelike honk, clucks are hard to do but they sound ok, just have to concentrate on working the lid to make it sound right,
Pennydog1

Postby flashman252 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:14 am

Cabinet is getting crowded. Building a new one soon. But current lanyard will run RM ftm and 410 and I’m bringing back some drc love with my own tunes and guts (one of the inserts isn’t even a drc insert). Will carry an RM big truck, lares t1 as back up and my vendetta derlin with brass guts and a snow call tuned to my liking. Have lots more calls and seems I’m always adding more and more, but just a few pics of the current collection. Some old some new. Daisy cutters are pictured oldest to newest.
flashman252

Postby Rick » Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:37 am

Recognized peanut butter and jelly this time, but had to look up DRC.
Rick

Postby flashman252 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:13 am

[quote="Rick"]Recognized peanut butter and jelly this time, but had to look up DRC.[/

Just stumbled on this forum. Figured I’d play a little. Drc makes a good goose call. Their gut system reminds me of the Hayes Victoria style guts. I got to messing around in the cave the other day and put my redzone insert with original cluckers to the barrel and REALLY liked the combo. So it’s gonna make the lanyard this year. I just played flip flop with inserts and barrels a little bit on the RM’s. Rnt had some of the frs timbers left over so I bought one off the website. Of course hoping for the purple band. Wasn’t sure if I was more excited or my gf daughter was when we did a little mini reveal in the kitchen when we unboxed the call.
flashman252

Postby Duck Engr » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:22 am

Wow what an awesome collection and neat display. Thank you for sharing.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby flashman252 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:38 am

Duck Engr wrote:Wow what an awesome collection and neat display. Thank you for sharing.

No problem, hoping to make a display about double or triple this size. I want to see if I can display calls in their boxes. Starting to get out of hand and for inventory reasons, I want to put calls back to their boxes. I have no reason to ever sell, but do trade here and there and want to make sure boxes are correct to the call. Otherwise, these damn whistles are just a money pit of happiness. Some days I walk down in the cave and they make me smile, and some days I look at it all and just ask why. Doesnt make all that much sense to have all these things just collecting dust, but can't bring myself to ever let them go. One day when its all said and done, Im sure theyll get hauled off to goodwill or sold at a garage sale for pennies of their actual worth. Hoping one day to find a young gun who is worthy and hard working that maybe I could just hand it all down to as I don't and won't have any of my own to hand it down to. It's going to take the right gun though to get it.
flashman252

Postby Duck Engr » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:58 am

“A money pit of happiness” made me smile. That so well explains what most of us here are afflicted with.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby flashman252 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:05 pm

Duck Engr wrote:“A money pit of happiness” made me smile. That so well explains what most of us here are afflicted with.

Waterfowl is a disease. No other way to put it. You either got it or you don't, but if you got it, it makes you do some MAD shit. Ive come home to pallets of DSD decoys sitting on my front porch because, at the time, I was single and my buddy didn't want his wife knowing. I've done the same thing, and when I get on a kick or find a collector letting some calls go, I just send the check and add it to my collection. I know I would get an ear full if momma watched me hike in 10 more calls to an already over populated man cave, so sneaky sneaky, I find a way to get them in the basement without her knowing. The mindset we have around waterfowl, is the same mindset as junkies and their drugs sometimes..... waterfowl is a DISEASE!
flashman252

Postby Ricky Spanish » Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:17 pm

There is a cycle.
Seems to be a 30 or 40 year cycle.
A call gets popular.
Everyone buys one.
The ducks catch on and it's onto the next thing.
We've done high dollar single reeds then we did cutdowns to where every duck goes "aw crap it's another cutdown".
What I observed last season was that the guys I was competing with for greenheads were winning with echo double reed calls.i think the trend is going to head that way. Who knows? Buy a call....become a trendsetter. :lol:
Ricky Spanish

Postby flashman252 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:53 pm

Ricky Spanish wrote:There is a cycle.
Seems to be a 30 or 40 year cycle.
A call gets popular.
Everyone buys one.
The ducks catch on and it's onto the next thing.
We've done high dollar single reeds then we did cutdowns to where every duck goes "aw crap it's another cutdown".
What I observed last season was that the guys I was competing with for greenheads were winning with echo double reed calls.i think the trend is going to head that way. Who knows? Buy a call....become a trendsetter. :lol:

Always had super success with rattle. I hunted a zink PH2 (and not all ph2's were built the same) but the Ph2 was well ahead of its time when Fred created it. It was snotty, deep toned and had that rattle compared to other calls. I think the bark and volume of cutdowns really is deadly in timber, but I hunt a lot of open water and see no benefit of a cutdown unless its RIPPING wind. Out of all my OSDC's, the prescroll is probably my favorite for these reasons. Has the bark, and the rattle with loose bottom end. The remake leopard wood of the 1st gen DC is a fabulous sounding call and if it wasnt so dang pretty and numbered, I'd hunt it. Not impressed in the slightest with the newer DC's but the SBX is another animal and RNT got it right with that call. So much so, it might go into the backup box this year.

Even then though, I can get down right loud on a 410 and big truck. RM's have that rattle. Love the 410 higher pitch hen and I LOVE the FTM. FTM might be my fav toneboard, and made me a believer on late season mallards last season. Just wont get near as loud as the 410 or the BT. Hit the FTM on some wise ol greenies last weekend of the season and put birds 10 yards in the decoys. Destroyed every cut down, RNT and echo in the blind that day and got to the point where other dudes just used mallard buzz behind the ftm.

Im not into trendsetting, I am just into calls. They are all a work of art to a certain degree. Not a fan of some manufacturers that have same dimensions as other calls that are before their time. Cheating calls dont have any room on my shelf, but at the end of the day, I like looking at generations of calls and tinkering with calls, and putting my own tunes on calls. I can go down rabbit holes on goose calls for hours and hours and try this gut system on that insert with this barrel. Before I know it, I got some frankenstein shit that sounds downright dirty.
flashman252

Postby Rick » Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:43 am

No collector, here. Been scores and scores of calls through my hands and blinds, but about the only ones I still own are those I use, might use, think a grandson might use - or have just been too lazy to get around to selling or giving away. Those not on the lanyard or stashed in a blind box or backpack for backup are in a drawer out of sight and mind awaiting the day I "get around to" making drawer space for something else.

The one exception being a "Louisiana sound" (read "double reed" in a molded Original body) prototype Ronquest sent me in the "way back when" he was a young buck trying to make a living off ducks by working for Gardner, while he had his pre-Stephens deal with Butch. Used that call to great advantage during what were Louisiana's late '90s glory days and just like having it, even though it's only used when hunt testing my pups. (Not sure whether that later has become a tradition, or simply superstition...)
Rick

Postby plainsman » Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:37 pm

not a big "collector" myself, but 1/1 go to the self...those easily bought are meat calls
plainsman

Postby Rick » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:09 am

flashman252 wrote:Always had super success with rattle. I hunted a zink PH2 (and not all ph2's were built the same) but the Ph2 was well ahead of its time when Fred created it. It was snotty, deep toned and had that rattle compared to other calls. I think the bark and volume of cutdowns really is deadly in timber, but I hunt a lot of open water and see no benefit of a cutdown unless its RIPPING wind. Out of all my OSDC's, the prescroll is probably my favorite for these reasons. Has the bark, and the rattle with loose bottom end. The remake leopard wood of the 1st gen DC is a fabulous sounding call and if it wasnt so dang pretty and numbered, I'd hunt it. Not impressed in the slightest with the newer DC's but the SBX is another animal and RNT got it right with that call. So much so, it might go into the backup box this year.

Even then though, I can get down right loud on a 410 and big truck. RM's have that rattle. Love the 410 higher pitch hen and I LOVE the FTM. FTM might be my fav toneboard, and made me a believer on late season mallards last season. Just wont get near as loud as the 410 or the BT. Hit the FTM on some wise ol greenies last weekend of the season and put birds 10 yards in the decoys. Destroyed every cut down, RNT and echo in the blind that day and got to the point where other dudes just used mallard buzz behind the ftm.

Im not into trendsetting, I am just into calls. They are all a work of art to a certain degree. Not a fan of some manufacturers that have same dimensions as other calls that are before their time. Cheating calls dont have any room on my shelf, but at the end of the day, I like looking at generations of calls and tinkering with calls, and putting my own tunes on calls. I can go down rabbit holes on goose calls for hours and hours and try this gut system on that insert with this barrel. Before I know it, I got some frankenstein shit that sounds downright dirty.

Did have his XR2 for a while, but Zink's own mallard CD was what kept me from trying his PH2. It includes a piece with both calls working birds, and - to my ear - the PH2 sounded much like most other calls by comparison. Thought the XR2 appreciably more real-deal, but it was too much of a "one trick pony" in my hands and couldn't touch what I was using for production afield. (But I enjoyed the heck out of giving it to a college kid who loved them but was too fiscally responsible to buy one.)

Re: the RNTs, I had a half-scroll Jim felt spot-on and I thought would prove the bomb it was named after. Had a harsh tone I felt made it the Janis Joplin of Susies, and my parties killed a lot of birds over it. Would get plenty loud, but I don't know that it ever "barked" like I think of cutdown "bark". (Please know I stay confused over calling vernacular.) Certainly wouldn't ring like stage calls, and I'd not have called it "loose," in the nimble sense I think of that term - except in comparison to most cutdowns I've had. I likened running it to driving an old rice truck, and even after it lost its lanyard loop, I used it for preseason practice much like one might run in sand or on steps to make running on hard, level ground that much easier. Made the calls I hunted seem super slick.

Eventually snapped its fingernail thin cork tab, and the "close as we can get it" replacement was much looser and not as harsh. Closest I could get, which was closer than their said-to-be-same 40th Anniversary model came, was by sanding more hump into a newer DC's toneboard - which I eventually screwed up by seeing just how far I could go...

The newer (neutered to create separation with the newer DCs?) SBs were so disappointingly weak, I'd not considered trying the SBX. But I thought an early hedge SB the most real-deal ducky of any I've owned. That said, it didn't last on the lanyard, either. Did have kind of an interesting history, at least to speck callers, in that Nathan Wright (Redbone Calls) had given it to James Meyers (James Meyers and then Riceland Calls) before those two, once buddies, had their falling out, and James gave it to me. Tickled me more than a little to give that SB to a call crazy young fellow working with James and Bill Daniels, who now owns Riceland.

Could go on and on, especially about tone preferences - and my terminology ignorance - but best make my morning lap around our little town before it gets any hotter and the temptation to blow it off greater.
Rick

Postby flashman252 » Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:01 pm

Rick wrote:
flashman252 wrote:Always had super success with rattle. I hunted a zink PH2 (and not all ph2's were built the same) but the Ph2 was well ahead of its time when Fred created it. It was snotty, deep toned and had that rattle compared to other calls. I think the bark and volume of cutdowns really is deadly in timber, but I hunt a lot of open water and see no benefit of a cutdown unless its RIPPING wind. Out of all my OSDC's, the prescroll is probably my favorite for these reasons. Has the bark, and the rattle with loose bottom end. The remake leopard wood of the 1st gen DC is a fabulous sounding call and if it wasnt so dang pretty and numbered, I'd hunt it. Not impressed in the slightest with the newer DC's but the SBX is another animal and RNT got it right with that call. So much so, it might go into the backup box this year.

Did have his XR2 for a while, but Zink's own mallard CD was what kept me from trying his PH2. It includes a piece with both calls working birds, and - to my ear - the PH2 sounded much like most other calls by comparison. Thought the XR2 appreciably more real-deal, but it was too much of a "one trick pony" in my hands and couldn't touch what I was using for production afield. (But I enjoyed the heck out of giving it to a college kid who loved them but was too fiscally responsible to buy one.)

Re: the RNTs, I had a half-scroll Jim felt spot-on and I thought would prove the bomb it was named after. Had a harsh tone I felt made it the Janis Joplin of Susies, and my parties killed a lot of birds over it. Would get plenty loud, but I don't know that it ever "barked" like I think of cutdown "bark". (Please know I stay confused over calling vernacular.) Certainly wouldn't ring like stage calls, and I'd not have called it "loose," in the nimble sense I think of that term - except in comparison to most cutdowns I've had. I likened running it to driving an old rice truck, and even after it lost its lanyard loop, I used it for preseason practice much like one might run in sand or on steps to make running on hard, level ground that much easier. Made the calls I hunted seem super slick.

Eventually snapped its fingernail thin cork tab, and the "close as we can get it" replacement was much looser and not as harsh. Closest I could get, which was closer than their said-to-be-same 40th Anniversary model came, was by sanding more hump into a newer DC's toneboard - which I eventually screwed up by seeing just how far I could go...

The newer (neutered to create separation with the newer DCs?) SBs were so disappointingly weak, I'd not considered trying the SBX. But I thought an early hedge SB the most real-deal ducky of any I've owned. That said, it didn't last on the lanyard, either. Did have kind of an interesting history, at least to speck callers, in that Nathan Wright (Redbone Calls) had given it to James Meyers (James Meyers and then Riceland Calls) before those two, once buddies, had their falling out, and James gave it to me. Tickled me more than a little to give that SB to a call crazy young fellow working with James and Bill Daniels, who now owns Riceland.

Could go on and on, especially about tone preferences - and my terminology ignorance - but best make my morning lap around our little town before it gets any hotter and the temptation to blow it off greater.

I have an early short barrel. Love that little call. Probably ranks in the top 5 of my favorite RNT's out of my collection. Really need to start exploring cut down calls. Thinking soon, I may pull the trigger on a couple.
flashman252

Postby Rick » Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:50 pm

flashman252 wrote:Really need to start exploring cut down calls. Thinking soon, I may pull the trigger on a couple.

Given your affinity for rattle, I would have thought you'd already be well down that rabbit hole. But, then, I may not really know what "rattle" is.
Rick

Postby flashman252 » Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:50 pm

Rick wrote:
flashman252 wrote:Really need to start exploring cut down calls. Thinking soon, I may pull the trigger on a couple.

Given your affinity for rattle, I would have thought you'd already be well down that rabbit hole. But, then, I may not really know what "rattle" is.

Air presentation and versatility have always been a turn off. No doubt the rattle and the bark are sounds that have been proven time and time again. I’ve grown as a caller and grown to have much better air presentation. So I may pick another one up. If it sticks, that will be the true question. Have my doubts but I’ll know as soon as I put a little air through it.
flashman252

Previous

Return to Duck Call Forum