New wood

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

New wood

Postby Rooster » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:25 pm

Hope to be making some calls soon. Just gotta get Westie off his ass
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Rooster

Re: New wood

Postby Westie25 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:26 pm

Says the guy who's not been present the last few calls made....
Westie25

Postby Rooster » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:35 pm

I wasn't informed it was going on. Bad communication on your part
Rooster

Postby Westie25 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:36 pm

I knew you were going to the river. I know things.
Westie25

Postby Rooster » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:04 pm

I gotcha. We need to start making some chips soon
Rooster

Postby assateague » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:35 pm

What's the third from the top? I bet that's going to be sharp looking.
assateague

New wood

Postby Westie25 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:37 pm

assateague wrote:What's the third from the top? I bet that's going to be sharp looking.

Ziricote

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341794607.504256.jpg

What the grain looks like. It will be sharp.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Westie25

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:38 pm

Interested in how the blackwood will sound. I know it's pretty dense. Any of you make goose calls?

I see the cherry up there, I've never had any luck with it in calls as it is pretty soft, let me know how it works!
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

New wood

Postby Westie25 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:41 pm

Never made a goose call. Don't really know how to blow one, so I wouldn't know if it sounded good.
Westie25

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:47 pm

Westie25 wrote:Never made a goose call. Don't really know how to blow one, so I wouldn't know if it sounded good.

I copied a Market Hunter once just to try it, sounded good for the first day or 2 then started to crack. Forgot to mention I was using green maple from my firewood pile lol. It's really the only time I've tried making a goose call.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

New wood

Postby Westie25 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:53 pm

Ah, you need better wood. I see you asked for a wood working forum, do you make calls? Or whatever else?
Westie25

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:30 pm

Westie25 wrote:Ah, you need better wood. I see you asked for a wood working forum, do you make calls? Or whatever else?

Yeah I knew the wood I used was no good. It was just to see how hard it was to actually make one. I have made a couple but just haven't really gotten into it I guess you could say. I usually make furniture and whatnot, but I love the foreign woods.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

New wood

Postby Westie25 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:32 pm

I've been considering making a call rack. I actually looked into buying one but they're high. And I haven't made one because I have no idea how to make furniture.
Westie25

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:44 pm

Westie25 wrote:I've been considering making a call rack. I actually looked into buying one but they're high. And I haven't made one because I have no idea how to make furniture.

I've made a few, havent anything great for wood lately.

Assateague has some spalted cypress I wish I could get my hands on.

If I decide to make a few I'll let you know. You would be suprised what my wife used the last one for...
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

New wood

Postby assateague » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:51 pm

Count your blessings- that cypress is splitting and checking like a bastard. It's damn near useless. I suspect this drought has a lot to do with it. It's been over 100 degrees in my shop for the last 14 days in a row, only getting down to 80 in there at night. And dry, dry, dry.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:00 pm

assateague wrote:Count your blessings- that cypress is splitting and checking like a bastard. It's damn near useless. I suspect this drought has a lot to do with it. It's been over 100 degrees in my shop for the last 14 days in a row, only getting down to 80 in there at night. And dry, dry, dry.

You didn't sticker and cap it? :cry:
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

New wood

Postby assateague » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:28 pm

It was already dried, and I don't really have enough to worry about stickers. The only thing I can think of is the weather. It's been flat out bad here. I had some scales cut for knife handles, which were cut from a cherry bole that was dried for 5 years before cutting (talk about some smoking when I finally starting cutting the scales), and have since been laying around the shop for about another 3-4 years. They are all now split as well. Unusual to say the least.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:36 pm

assateague wrote:It was already dried, and I don't really have enough to worry about stickers. The only thing I can think of is the weather. It's been flat out bad here. I had some scales cut for knife handles, which were cut from a cherry bole that was dried for 5 years before cutting (talk about some smoking when I finally starting cutting the scales), and have since been laying around the shop for about another 3-4 years. They are all now split as well. Unusual to say the least.

Huh, sounds like you got some sort of super kiln going on!
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

New wood

Postby jehler » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:46 pm

I'll be getting around to sending you some banks this week westie, how big do they need to be?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Rooster » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:28 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:Interested in how the blackwood will sound. I know it's pretty dense. Any of you make goose calls?

I see the cherry up there, I've never had any luck with it in calls as it is pretty soft, let me know how it works!

Im not sure if the cherry will turn out good or not. Might try to make a goose call out of it and see how that works
Rooster

New wood

Postby Westie25 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:53 am

jehler wrote:I'll be getting around to sending you some banks this week westie, how big do they need to be?

1.5" x 1.5" x 4" is what we usually start with. But you can send whatever you got. Or whatever works best for you.
Westie25

Return to Duck Call Forum