Whats on everyones lanyards this year?

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Whats on everyones lanyards this year?

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:18 am

Resampled_2013-08-07_18-05-59_107.jpg

Resampled_2013-08-07_18-00-57_728.jpg

2013-08-07_18-10-51_860.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Re: Whats on everyones lanyards this year?

Postby Tomkat » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:02 am

The above post includes pictures from a wealthy mans call collection.
Tomkat

Postby triplecurl » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:16 am

Tomkat wrote:The above post includes pictures from a wealthy mans call collection.

:lol: truth. All the calls on my lanyard aren't worth what one of Rebels calls are.

Nice calls Reb.
triplecurl

Postby RickC » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:59 am

I'll be using these and a couple others including a custom cut Black Ops DFB and a Kelly Beltz Wood Duck call in spalted pecan.
Most of them are from Gary Perinar at Committed Custom Calls. I'm hesitant to hunt them now since Garys not making calls anymore.
RickC

Postby Westie25 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:14 am

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21375970774.349216.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21375970790.186022.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21375971272.097260.jpg
Westie25

Postby Olly » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:17 am

Westie why aren't you using your own calls? I'll be using the one you made me again this year... I killed some ducks with it last year.

Sent from my phone.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Westie25 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:33 am

Olly wrote:Westie why aren't you using your own calls? I'll be using the one you made me again this year... I killed some ducks with it last year.

Sent from my phone.

They don't get loud enough for where we hunt. Working on mastering my own insert now. Got some good things working.
Westie25

Postby Westie25 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:35 am

Also my lathe went down. And I just recently got another one, just haven't gotten it setup yet. Nowhere to put it.
Westie25

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:36 am

Reb, what's the middle call in the first pic? Looks a lot like the original James Meyers speck call only with a lanyard groove on the insert. C&S Canada?

I much prefer the JM's insert in hand to the current Riceland and will be talking to James about turning down the insert on a black micarta Riceland I was given to the old dimensions, or at least as nearly so as the slightly larger Riceland bore allows. Whether it can bump the hedge James Meyers from the lanyard remains to be seen but seems doubtful, given my history with the older call.

On the other hand, it long seemed unlikely that my (modified) RNT speck calls would be shelved, but the JM bumped the loud one, and the new Lares now seems a shoo-in to replace the quiet one - subject to hard pressured specks' approval.

Other than that, it'll be "same old, same old". MVP will see its ninth or tenth season and the Microhen its sixth in their apparently permanent loops. Third year Mondo will little doubt share time in the extra/experimental loop with a second or third season GVCC XXX Canada call (hedge or blackwood remains to be bird tested), if enough Canadas show to make that move after the speck calls are sorted through. Whistle ring will carry a ancient Haydel MP40(?) for most ducks, a whistle of undisclosed identity for fulvous and black-bellied whistling ducks and a Fox Sonic Blast for the half deaf coyote.

And, yes, I clank when I walk.
Rick

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:26 pm

Cold Front Calls, Alberta Clipper model. It's a canada goose call. Much agreed on the James Meyer speck calls. What'd you do to the rnt to modify it?
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:05 pm

rebelp74 wrote:What'd you do to the rnt to modify it?

The loud one had a thicker, reshaped and lightly shaved Canada reed, and the quiet one a thin reed fashioned from a duck call's.
Rick

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:39 pm

That's sharp! Never thought to even try that with a speck call. I played around with the guts in the one I had. Made the reed a little longer but never have really been a fan of small guts. From my limited experience with them, there seems to be not much bottom end.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:25 pm

The current trend here is using the top reed from a DR-85 (whatever thickness that is) in Chien Cailles or any other Olt gutted call, and you should hear a buddy of mine get down low on one. I've always just used a standard duck reed and get plenty of finesse, but I'm walking a mighty thin back pressure line and have a hard time swapping calls without blips. Now with the (big gutted) Lares back pressure is such a non issue that going to other big gutted calls can cause back pressure issues. Super finesse call, but no volume.
Rick

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:56 pm

Rick wrote: a whistle of undisclosed identity for fulvous and black-bellied whistling ducks

I guess we will see how much you trust me if there is an empty loop where this top secret whistle was. :lol:
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:16 pm

Rick wrote:The current trend here is using the top reed from a DR-85 (whatever thickness that is) in Chien Cailles or any other Olt gutted call, and you should hear a buddy of mine get down low on one. I've always just used a standard duck reed and get plenty of finesse, but I'm walking a mighty thin back pressure line and have a hard time swapping calls without blips. Now with the (big gutted) Lares back pressure is such a non issue that going to other big gutted calls can cause back pressure issues. Super finesse call, but no volume.

I've heard a lot of good about lares speck call. Compared to a riceland or older meyers, how does it run?
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:33 pm

Easiest running speck call I've used, which is over the two dozen mark now. If there's a rub beyond not getting loud, it's the flip side of the Murphy proof field stripping design. The toneboard, reed and wedge all bottom out in the insert, so you could take it apart and put it back together again in the dark without changing the tuning, but that also means changing the tuning is a touchier, more permanent proposition than with traditional speck call designs. (Understand Redbone has now gone to something similar, only with lugs on the toneboard for reed stops.) Rather than shifting reed, toneboard and wedge alignments, you can only alter tuning by trimming the reed or altering the toneboard. I've done the later with a spare toneboard ($25 per, so experiment with care) and have mine more dead on a wider range of the real deal than any one call I've owned and with minimal effort and attention to back pressure. But it won't get remotely as loud as a Riceland.
Rick

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:32 pm

Westie25 wrote:

Is the Original bored out bigger than normal? Don't remember ever seeing one that was step drilled.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Westie25 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:10 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Westie25 wrote:

Is the Original bored out bigger than normal? Don't remember ever seeing one that was step drilled.

Yes
Westie25

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:52 am

Rick wrote:Easiest running speck call I've used, which is over the two dozen mark now. If there's a rub beyond not getting loud, it's the flip side of the Murphy proof field stripping design. The toneboard, reed and wedge all bottom out in the insert, so you could take it apart and put it back together again in the dark without changing the tuning, but that also means changing the tuning is a touchier, more permanent proposition than with traditional speck call designs. (Understand Redbone has now gone to something similar, only with lugs on the toneboard for reed stops.) Rather than shifting reed, toneboard and wedge alignments, you can only alter tuning by trimming the reed or altering the toneboard. I've done the later with a spare toneboard ($25 per, so experiment with care) and have mine more dead on a wider range of the real deal than any one call I've owned and with minimal effort and attention to back pressure. But it won't get remotely as loud as a Riceland.

Is the wedge adjustable? As far as being able to lenghten the reed via sliding the wedge back a little?
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:15 am

rebelp74 wrote:
Rick wrote:Easiest running speck call I've used, which is over the two dozen mark now. If there's a rub beyond not getting loud, it's the flip side of the Murphy proof field stripping design. The toneboard, reed and wedge all bottom out in the insert, so you could take it apart and put it back together again in the dark without changing the tuning, but that also means changing the tuning is a touchier, more permanent proposition than with traditional speck call designs. (Understand Redbone has now gone to something similar, only with lugs on the toneboard for reed stops.) Rather than shifting reed, toneboard and wedge alignments, you can only alter tuning by trimming the reed or altering the toneboard. I've done the later with a spare toneboard ($25 per, so experiment with care) and have mine more dead on a wider range of the real deal than any one call I've owned and with minimal effort and attention to back pressure. But it won't get remotely as loud as a Riceland.

Is the wedge adjustable? As far as being able to lenghten the reed via sliding the wedge back a little?

No, wedge, reed and toneboard all bottom out on a ledge in the insert. (Wedge also has a unique, to my knowledge, spring design.)
Tuning can only be accomplished by trimming the reed or modifying the toneboard. Guess there's another difference there, in that Lares sands a small indent in front of the tone channel, rather than changing the whole slope's angle for toneboard tuning as most do. First time I've seen that, but it's what I've experimented with to get mine what I think spot on.
Rick

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:50 am

Gotcha, sounds pretty unique. Is this the newest model only or all of them? Seriously considering getting one.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:45 pm

Tried one of the earlier Lares speck calls but it was so long ago I couldn't swear to its design. Think it was actually field adjustable, know I thought it mighty weak. Pretty sure this design, which Ken White reportedly helped with, is all new, aside from the general external appearance.
Rick

Postby Tomkat » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:51 pm

Westie that hedge call is pretty
Tomkat

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:57 pm

Rick wrote:Tried one of the earlier Lares speck calls but it was so long ago I couldn't swear to its design. Think it was actually field adjustable, know I thought it mighty weak. Pretty sure this design, which Ken White reportedly helped with, is all new, aside from the general external appearance.
Thanks for the info

Sent from my DROIDX using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:40 am

RickC wrote:I'll be using these and a couple others including a custom cut Black Ops DFB and a Kelly Beltz Wood Duck call in spalted pecan.
Most of them are from Gary Perinar at Committed Custom Calls. I'm hesitant to hunt them now since Garys not making calls anymore.

Is that a corian CCC top pic far left?
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby RickC » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:38 am

rebelp74 wrote:
RickC wrote:I'll be using these and a couple others including a custom cut Black Ops DFB and a Kelly Beltz Wood Duck call in spalted pecan.

No, it's wood. Hate to say but I don't recall what specie but I'm thinking its a highly figured maple. I'll take a better pic of it later this morning.
RickC

Postby jehler » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:39 am

i have a couple of Gary's calls, is alright Rick? Hell of a nice guy
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby RickC » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:28 am

rebelp74 wrote:

Here's a better pic, the other one had it pretty whited out.
RickC

Postby RickC » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:37 am

jehler wrote:

Yeah, the first one I won on an auction Gary was putting on on support of a youth group. It was an original that I put on a shelf and didn't really mess with it to much. The next season I started using it and man, ducks were loving it and after that it didnt come off the lanyard.
I'd decided that I wasn't really into collecting calls to fill up shelves so pretty much sold off all my calls and started picking up more of his when I could.
Gary's one of the nicest guys and as a call maker is was driven to make nothing but calls that brought the birds to gun. That and his customer service was nothing but excellent.
I sure hope he's not out of the making for good.
RickC

Postby jehler » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:41 am

RickC wrote:
jehler wrote:

Yeah, the first one I won on an auction Gary was putting on on support of a youth group. It was an original that I put om a shelf and didn't really mess with it to much. Tje next season I started using it and man, ducks were loving it and after that it didnt come off the lanyard.
I'd decided that I wasn't really into collecting calls to fill IP shelves so pretty much sold off all my calls and started picking up more of his when I could.
Gary's one of the nicest guys and as a call maker is ws driven to make nothing but calls that brought the birds to gun. That and his customer service was nothing but excellent.
I sure hope he's not out of the making for good.
i had him make a call for me and for jr about 3 years ago, both out of lignum vitea, don't rely on a call like you all do down there as the birds are small groups and fresh, but damn, a few quacks here and there bring them in like on a string
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Next

Return to Duck Call Forum