New 5-n-1 Teal Combo Call

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Re: New 5-n-1 Teal Combo Call

Postby RonE » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:39 am

Bootlipkiller wrote:
RonE wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:
RonE wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:RonE you ever call in a teal, widgeon, or sprig with a wingsetter? Some say you need a designer whistle to call in ducks. What says you?

Sent from an undisclosed location on the river

Yes, the old style and the second style and I have called widgeon with a dog whistle too. I really am going to get one of the new blue wingsetters, just to piss off the guys I hunt with.

:lol:
Do you miss the valley sprig?

Yes, I miss the valley sprig but the sprig we have here aren't nearly as call or decoy shy as those birds around Richvale and Gridley.

I can believe that! The hunting pressure here makes me wonder how the hell we ever trick them into coming in!

If I ever left I would miss the afternoon sprig flights!

In the late 70's and early 80's the owner of Hightest Retrievers had a blind in the far east of District 10 that produced sprig like hell wouldn't have it. Just flooded red dirt rice fields that for some reason the sprig couldn't stay away from but after having the blind for four years, the landowner figured we were killing too many birds and more than doubled the cost of the blind.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Bootlipkiller » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:44 am

RonE wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:
RonE wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:
RonE wrote:[quote="Bootlipkiller"]RonE you ever call in a teal, widgeon, or sprig with a wingsetter? Some say you need a designer whistle to call in ducks. What says you?

Yes, the old style and the second style and I have called widgeon with a dog whistle too. I really am going to get one of the new blue wingsetters, just to piss off the guys I hunt with.

Yes, I miss the valley sprig but the sprig we have here aren't nearly as call or decoy shy as those birds around Richvale and Gridley.

I can believe that! The hunting pressure here makes me wonder how the hell we ever trick them into coming in!

In the late 70's and early 80's the owner of Hightest Retrievers had a blind in the far east of District 10 that produced sprig like hell wouldn't have it. Just flooded red dirt rice fields that for some reason the sprig couldn't stay away from but after having the blind for four years, the landowner figured we were killing too many birds and more than doubled the cost of the blind.[/quote]
Sounds about right! I've lost some great places due to the same BS!

AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:45 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:
RonE wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:
RonE wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:[quote="RonE"][quote="Bootlipkiller"]RonE you ever call in a teal, widgeon, or sprig with a wingsetter? Some say you need a designer whistle to call in ducks. What says you?

In the late 70's and early 80's the owner of Hightest Retrievers had a blind in the far east of District 10 that produced sprig like hell wouldn't have it. Just flooded red dirt rice fields that for some reason the sprig couldn't stay away from but after having the blind for four years, the landowner figured we were killing too many birds and more than doubled the cost of the blind.[/quote]
Sounds about right! I've lost some great places due to the same BS!

Sent from an undisclosed location on the river[/quote]
The moral here is to never admit the ground you lease is epic.
Downplay it as you're carrying out limits. Say stuff like we had to really work too hard, it would be better if... stuff like that.
Otherwise just plan on paying more and more...now how much will you pay?
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Bufflehead » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:32 pm

RonE wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:RonE you ever call in a teal, widgeon, or sprig with a wingsetter? Some say you need a designer whistle to call in ducks. What says you?

Yes, the old style and the second style and I have called widgeon with a dog whistle too. I really am going to get one of the new blue wingsetters, just to piss off the guys I hunt with. I used to have a wooden teal whistle that was made in Brazil but I lost it several years ago.
I just saw this thread after Betty bumped it.

Ron, I'm curious if this is the call you're talking about. If so, did you like it?

http://www.melcottons.com/products2.cfm ... -Duck-Call
Bufflehead

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:37 pm

Bufflehead wrote:
RonE wrote:

Yes, the old style and the second style and I have called widgeon with a dog whistle too. I really am going to get one of the new blue wingsetters, just to piss off the guys I hunt with. I used to have a wooden teal whistle that was made in Brazil but I lost it several years ago.
I just saw this thread after Betty bumped it.

Ron, I'm curious if this is the call you're talking about. If so, did you like it?

http://www.melcottons.com/products2.cfm ... -Duck-Call

I have one of those. Very good whistle, if we had more pintails around it would be on my lanyard.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Bufflehead » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:45 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
I have one of those. Very good whistle, if we had more pintails around it would be on my lanyard.

A whistle is really the only call I use. Pintail, gadwall, teal and widgeon are the main puddle ducks we get. Never see mallards.
Bufflehead

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:50 pm

Bufflehead wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

A whistle is really the only call I use. Pintail, gadwall, teal and widgeon are the main puddle ducks we get. Never see mallards.

That one is the only whistle I have with a roller and compared to what Ive heard it is dead on for pintails. Now there is one called the Morwhistle that is made form plastic that is the exact same call. It is even $10 cheaper and I'd be willing to bet its a hell of a lot more durable. Cant say how the wooden one does as I have never hunted it.

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-NEV1000

http://www.cabelas.com/product/New-Versions-Morwhistle-Duck-Call-150-Advantage-Wetlands-Camo174/707442.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dmorwhistle%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=morwhistle&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Bufflehead » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:02 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:That one is the only whistle I have with a roller and compared to what Ive heard it is dead on for pintails. Now there is one called the Morwhistle that is made form plastic that is the exact same call. It is even $10 cheaper and I'd be willing to bet its a hell of a lot more durable. Cant say how the wooden one does as I have never hunted it.

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-NEV1000

http://www.cabelas.com/product/New-Versions-Morwhistle-Duck-Call-150-Advantage-Wetlands-Camo174/707442.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dmorwhistle%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=morwhistle&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products
:thumbsup:
Bufflehead

Postby Rick » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:43 am

I've long felt high, squacky quacking better for pins than whistling, but watched a couple guys work some pretty with the plastic version roller ball whistles this season.
Rick

Previous

Return to Duck Call Forum