Primos Yo Sista & Other Call Tuning- ★HELP★

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Primos Yo Sista & Other Call Tuning- ★HELP★

Postby DuckFuller » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:58 am

:duck: I have seen quite a few of you guys also carry a "yo sista"... how do u clean it, & tune it? Qtips and h20 or alcohol? Anyone know a way to keep double reeds from sticking and making that god forsaken sqreechh! Onbthe spit tech/zink and B.Gardner I have no problem. The Duck Commander & Primos, Yes!
Also what about ports for loudness? Is it a DIY modification or for a Call maker?
*YOUR ANSWERS ARE ALWAYS HELPFUL, AND I APPRECIATE THEM*
DuckFuller

Re: Primos Yo Sista & Other Call Tuning- ★HELP★

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:10 am

If the call is a J Frame take the call apart, pull the reed and cork out, and soak it in warm soapy water. I wouldn't use alcohol as it with crack acrylic, don't know what it will do to poly but the warm water works fine. I have used qtips on my calls when there is stuff in the tone channel like food or dirt. The only thing I know of that might help you out on the sticking is if you bend the top reed up slightly to widen the gap between the two reeds. The reason doubles do what you are talking about is because spit gets between the two reeds and forms a vacuum that seals the reeds together and the only way to break it is by blowing on it hard. That's one of the reasons I sold my doubles. There is a sticky on this forum right above where this post will be that is the best way to tune a call out there for someone who doesn't know what they are doing.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby assateague » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:56 am

I've also found that after each time I call, just spin the call around and blow once through the opposite end. That keeps them from sticking and freezing very well, if you remember to do it.
assateague

Postby Tiler_J » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:49 am

You can run a dollar bill between the reeds or the edge of your shirt if you are gentle to clean the spit from between the reeds while hunting, if it gets jammed up.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:53 am

Tiler_J wrote:You can run a dollar bill between the reeds or the edge of your shirt if you are gentle to clean the spit from between the reeds while hunting, if it gets jammed up.

I've tried that and it was always 50/50 for me.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby DuckFuller » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:59 am

I contacted primos and the yo sista does come apart. They said it may have to be literally pried or hammered to get open. Its not bad and the cork looks great, however I have a poly Duck commander 'Ol Raspy' and I cannot get it to tune rite. The reeds are fine and sound board is fine, as the wedge. But it just doesn't sound rite. I talked to Justin Martin @ Duck commander and he said I may need a replacement or reeds but the ones in the Camo max are identical, I swapped them and used some rnt reeds in it and it just makes a bad sound... any suggestions fellas?
DuckFuller

Postby Tiler_J » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:01 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Tiler_J wrote:You can run a dollar bill between the reeds or the edge of your shirt if you are gentle to clean the spit from between the reeds while hunting, if it gets jammed up.

So you agree, it works! Haha! It's not the best, but when you got nothing else while hunting it works pretty good for me.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:05 pm

I have nothing good to say about modern DC calls except the specialty calls. Because of the way the reeds are produced its damn near impossible to do anything with them. The only safer way to tune them is to trim the reed from the back don't try and mess with the front. Of the DC calls I have the main problem I have had with them is with the wedge. Their wedge sizes are very inconsistent and some pin a lot of the reed down others not so much.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:06 pm

Tiler_J wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

So you agree, it works! Haha! It's not the best, but when you got nothing else while hunting it works pretty good for me.

Yep it works sometimes. But IMO its not worth my time messing with them. :thumbsup:

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:06 pm

DuckFuller wrote:I contacted primos and the yo sista does come apart. They said it may have to be literally pried or hammered to get open. Its not bad and the cork looks great, however I have a poly Duck commander 'Ol Raspy' and I cannot get it to tune rite. The reeds are fine and sound board is fine, as the wedge. But it just doesn't sound rite. I talked to Justin Martin @ Duck commander and he said I may need a replacement or reeds but the ones in the Camo max are identical, I swapped them and used some rnt reeds in it and it just makes a bad sound... any suggestions fellas?

I would send it in if that's an option. Let them fix it, or replace it...
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby RonE » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:28 am

:duck: I have seen quite a few of you guys also carry a "yo sista"... how do u clean it, & tune it?

Get "yo momma" to clean it fo you.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:47 am

RonE wrote::duck: I have seen quite a few of you guys also carry a "yo sista"... how do u clean it, & tune it?

Get "yo momma" to clean it fo you.

Ha!
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Goldfish » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:09 am

Make sure the reeds are not upside down. I did that to my microhen and couldn't figure out why my magic call all of a sudden sounded like shit. Got them turned the right way, and it was back to beautiful.

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby RonE » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:00 am

I didn't have a dollar bill so I used three quarters, two dimes and a nickel an now the call ain't worth a darn.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Redbeard » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:38 am

RonE wrote:

I didn't have a dollar bill so I used three quarters, two dimes and a nickel an now the call ain't worth a darn.
so much for black bear diner
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:23 pm

Goldfish wrote:Make sure the reeds are not upside down. I did that to my microhen and couldn't figure out why my magic call all of a sudden sounded like shit. Got them turned the right way, and it was back to beautiful.

sent from a phancy fone

I was thinking the same thing..
To find which side goes up...
Place reed between thumb and finger like this.
Squeeze and it does this.
It will go up or down.
Milar comes in huge rolls so the reed has memory.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:24 pm

When you put it in your call...a smiling reed is a happy reed.
The bowed part goes down.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:26 pm

If I were to put the reed into that insert it would go like that. Smile!
aunt betty

Return to Duck Call Forum