Expencive calls

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Re: Expencive calls

Postby assateague » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:59 pm

I never said anything about calling geese being overrated, dammit.
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:00 pm

Maybe if you called more you get a pintail.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby assateague » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:01 pm

There are no ducks here this year. It's actually sort of fucked up- everything disappeared for everybody. Ducks, foxes, deer, coons. They're all in hiding or something. Bizarre.
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:02 pm

If only you'd call ducks, everything would be back in full swing.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby assateague » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:12 pm

I wish I could call foxes into my traps. I'm about to start crying.
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:15 pm

If you'd pissed on yourself when you got sprayed you wouldn't be having this problem. You just can't half ass somethings.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:25 pm

assateague wrote:There are no ducks here this year. It's actually sort of fucked up- everything disappeared for everybody. Ducks, foxes, deer, coons. They're all in hiding or something. Bizarre.

Shits about to hit the fan. Listen to the animals, dammit!!!!!!
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby firewokey » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:24 am

ok so are you saying that you can make a good call go high and then low if you need that?
firewokey

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:55 am

firewokey wrote:ok so are you saying that you can make a good call go high and then low if you need that?

All calls have some range from hight to low. Some more than others, but a call that is tuned to go really high and loud generally doesn't put out a good low and raspy sound.
If you only have the budget for one good call, I'd say get the loudest you can. There are a lot of cheaper poly calls out there that will produce a decent low end.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:58 am

My opinion...well, it's a FACT.
If you are good at working a duck call you will sound good on ANY DECENT SINGLE REED CALL.
Grunting, humming, moaning into the call is what works. Every guide I know grunts/groans/hums into their call. If you are simply blowing and trying to control your call with pressure and air...you're doing it wrong.
Not kidding around guys. Try it and suddenly you got ducks landing ten feet from your boat-blind.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:00 am

Buy a hunter series Timber call from RnT for forty bucks. The coco one...hurry before they are gone.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:01 am

This.Image
aunt betty

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:32 am

The real ones are better....
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby assateague » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:11 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
firewokey wrote:ok so are you saying that you can make a good call go high and then low if you need that?

All calls have some range from hight to low. Some more than others, but a call that is tuned to go really high and loud generally doesn't put out a good low and raspy sound.
If you only have the budget for one good call, I'd say get the loudest you can. There are a lot of cheaper poly calls out there that will produce a decent low end.

This is the Theory of Medium™ at work in the real world. Thanks for posting.
assateague

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:55 pm

assateague wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

This is the Theory of Medium[TRADE MARK SIGN] at work in the real world. Thanks for posting.

No problem. :thumbsup:
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:40 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:

Not at all true. Loud calls especially comp calls, have sometoo of the best bottom end on the call market. It's all on the operator
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Rick » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:08 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

Not at all true. Loud calls especially comp calls, have sometoo of the best bottom end on the call market. It's all on the operator

Hear, hear. And that's one of the reasons why some expensive calls are well worth their cost for those who can take advantage of their potential.
Rick

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:23 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

I know about as much about calls as you do about good looking women, so I can't really argue with you. But with the exception of a few calls (which I would guess are fairly difficult to run) the loudest of the loud calls won't make the best raspy quiet quack.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:27 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

I know about as much about calls as you do about good looking women, so I can't really argue with you. But with the exception of a few calls (which I would guess are fairly difficult to run) the loudest of the loud calls won't make the best raspy quiet quack.

You've never used a cutdown.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:29 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

You've never used a cutdown.

Gonna change that in the near future.
Wouldn't that fall into the "more difficult to run" category though. Probably wrong again though.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:34 pm

Not as far as I'm concerned.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:14 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

99% of loud calls, and all comp calls, can make the raspiest whisper quiet quack a typical j-frame can make. It's all about air presentation, pressure, and voice inflextion.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:20 pm

Learn something new every day.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:23 pm

That said most loud calls can get soft whereas soft calls can't get too loud without being overblowing and air locking.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:24 am

My hedge throwback IS a cutdown. I only need one call on my lanyard but put a few on as spares in case #1 freezes up and so far that call never has. Something about hedge.
Its the best material you can possibly use to make duck calls.
Thats an opinion...

Hedge, Osage Orange, Bo D'Arc, is also called IRONWOOD where I come from.
aunt betty

Previous

Return to Duck Call Forum