Expencive calls

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Expencive calls

Postby firewokey » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:03 am

are they really worth the money.Some seem as tho they are priced high just to make us spend more than the other guy in the blind.
firewokey

Re: Expencive calls

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:15 pm

The expensive calls are generally made of acrylic. Don't think there is such a thing as a cheap acrylic call. Acrylic gives a much more crisp sound and some also have the ability to get insanely loud. If your not looking for a crisp or loud call, then there is no reason to spend big money on them.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:27 pm

firewokey wrote:are they really worth the money.Some seem as tho they are priced high just to make us spend more than the other guy in the blind.

It's all a matter of opinion. Some think the expensive calls can be easier to run, but they are most definitely not necessary. There are plenty of guys that enjoy using a $15 call to kill ducks and wouldn't have it any other way.
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby RonE » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:28 pm

How can you possibly call yourself a duck hunter without two or three hundred dollar plus duck calls on your lanyard. Speaking of which if you don't pay at least $45 for the lanyard don't bother to even consider yourself a duck hunter.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:56 pm

RonE wrote:How can you possibly call yourself a duck hunter without two or three hundred dollar plus duck calls on your lanyard. Speaking of which if you don't pay at least $45 for the lanyard don't bother to even consider yourself a duck hunter.

I got a ton of complements on my lanyard at the WCH. :D
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:02 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:
RonE wrote:How can you possibly call yourself a duck hunter without two or three hundred dollar plus duck calls on your lanyard. Speaking of which if you don't pay at least $45 for the lanyard don't bother to even consider yourself a duck hunter.

Was fitting that Boot had a lanyard that looked like a boot lace.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:12 pm

Expensive calls are not necessary at all but like FF said it is really a personal preference of what you want to use. You can get high quality wooden calls for just a little more than some of the poly calls out there. A lot of the highly recognized brands sell poly copies of their high dollar acrylics that sound just as good but lack the sharp crack that acrylic will give. It all comes down to the sound you want and the care you are willing to put forth towards your calls.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Tiler_J » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:42 pm

It's all bullshit! Cheap calls work great and you don't care if you loose one. High dollar calls are for guys who want to convince themselves that their dicks are bigger than they really are. If you got the money to burn, buy expensive calls, more power to you. But it's just jewelry to make your dick look bigger. In my opinion.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:50 pm

Tiler_J wrote:It's all bullshit! Cheap calls work great and you don't care if you loose one. High dollar calls are for guys who want to convince themselves that their dicks are bigger than they really are. If you got the money to burn, buy expensive calls, more power to you. But it's just jewelry to make your dick look bigger. In my opinion.

Ya! Some people don't need jewelry!
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby firewokey » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:55 pm

I would love an expensive one but before i shell out the cash I wanna be sure that they are that much better.Kinda like the difference between a Browning and a New England Arms shotgun.Then i have to pick out the coolest looking most expencive call known to man,or at least the best one my wife will tolerate me getting.
firewokey

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:57 pm

firewokey wrote:I would love an expensive one but before i shell out the cash I wanna be sure that they are that much better.Kinda like the difference between a Browning and a New England Arms shotgun.Then i have to pick out the coolest looking most expencive call known to man,or at least the best one my wife will tolerate me getting.

They really are better. Just go to cabalas or whatever the closest major sporting goods store is. They will let you blow anyone's you want. That way you don't buy a call that doesn't fit your calling style.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby firewokey » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:05 pm

Well there in lies my problem.This is my 3rd season going out with my own equipment and i really dont have a style yet.Not to mention having to blow the call at my local Bass Pro shops where everyone will look around for the donkey or some such....
I am a little call shy my self...haha
firewokey

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:10 pm

firewokey wrote:I would love an expensive one but before i shell out the cash I wanna be sure that they are that much better.Kinda like the difference between a Browning and a New England Arms shotgun.Then i have to pick out the coolest looking most expencive call known to man,or at least the best one my wife will tolerate me getting.

You can do a hell of a lot more on with a more expensive duck call. That said, for hunting purposes they aren't really necessary. A Haydel's dr85($15ish) has killed more birds than any other call made. It's all to your preference and what you like and what you want in a call. I all you want are the basics, go cheap. If you want a call that is more versatile and you can do more things on, go the more expensive route. Either way, they'll both call ducks when in the right hands.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:15 pm

Learn to call ducks well and worry about the expensive calls later.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Redbeard » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:18 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:

what a piece of shit
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby RickC » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:21 pm

Its all relative to what you want to do or put into your hunt. And whats expensive to me may not be to someone else.
There are plenty of hunters that have been turning and burning ducks with a Haydel DR85's, not by any means an expensive call.
Same differece with shotguns, ammo, decoys, boats and so on. I use an 870, and shoot Federal blue box, others feel the need to have an auto loader that costs 1500+ and shoot shells that cost twice what I use. Nothing wrong with either if thats what you want.
I make decoys, no one, or very few, will want to buy a custom decoy at 100+ each when they can buy cheap plastics at 50 a dozen even though those wooden, cork or foamers will last generations.
Bottom line is the answer is no, you dont have to have a top dollar call to hunt. There isn't a magic Duck whistle, it's all about location and hiding.
RickC

Postby Tiler_J » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:32 pm

There is ONE Magic Duck Whistle-
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby firewokey » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:46 pm

I have had good luck with the original wooden duck commander call and one i turned out on my old craftsman lathe that i had to have to make my own custom calls,i can turn ducks and even get them to come to my spread.But i am a gadget getter and didnt want to waiste $150 on a call if they werent worth it.Can get some more decoys for that.But as it turns out my suspicions are true and they ARE worth getting...lol... :beer:
firewokey

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:09 pm

I bought an RNT Daisy Cutter at the end of last season. Took a few months to figure out, but I love using it now. I believe the RNT Original is a slightly easier call to run than the Daisy Cutter...not positive on that though.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:10 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:I bought an RNT Daisy Cutter at the end of last season. Took a few months to figure out, but I love using it now. I believe the RNT Original is a slightly easier call to run than the Daisy Cutter...not positive on that though.

Original is very easy and great call.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:11 pm

Flightstopper wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:I bought an RNT Daisy Cutter at the end of last season. Took a few months to figure out, but I love using it now. I believe the RNT Original is a slightly easier call to run than the Daisy Cutter...not positive on that though.

Thanks for the backup. That's what I thought.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:18 pm

Flightstopper wrote:

Agreed.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby assateague » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:28 pm

firewokey wrote:Well there in lies my problem.This is my 3rd season going out with my own equipment and i really dont have a style yet.Not to mention having to blow the call at my local Bass Pro shops where everyone will look around for the donkey or some such....
I am a little call shy my self...haha

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The word "donkey" always makes me chuckle for some reason. I think because I say it in my head like Shrek.
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:58 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:

Agreed.

Yup and is one of, if not, the best starter call IMHO.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Rick » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:11 pm

Cost does not necessarily equal capability, but increasing a call's capability comes at some cost. Whether a call's potential is worth its cost is, however, a question no one can answer for you.

Most call users are maxed out well within a DR-85 or other inexpensive call's potential. They don't need or want to do more with a call, or aren't willing to go to the expense or trouble of learning to run and experimenting with a more capable call to see what difference it might make in their success. Some geniuses are apparently even convinced they know there's no difference without bothering to master and experiment with both.
Rick

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:14 pm

Rick wrote: Some geniuses are apparently even convinced they know there's no difference without bothering to master and experiment with both.

One of the greatest call argument statements ever. :clap:

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Rick » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:15 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:

Agreed.

If one's going to pony up the $135 for an Original, he might as well kick in another $20 and get a MVP that will do everything it will and more with as little, or less, effort. We're all different, but the Original has been the least interesting of the RNTs I've owned and the MVP my favorite.
Rick

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:16 pm

Buying used is the best way to get acrylic calls. I didn't like my MVP at all, still have the Original. Maybe I just got a good one.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:22 pm

Rick wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:

Agreed.

If one's going to pony up the $135 for an Original, he might as well kick in another $20 and get a MVP that will do everything it will and more with as little, or less, effort. We're all different, but the Original has been the least interesting of the RNTs I've owned and the MVP my favorite.

I can agree with all of that. The mvp is hands down my favorite of the rnt line up. Not the most fun run and play with but without a dount the best call they make imo.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:08 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
Rick wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:[quote="NuffDaddy"]I bought an RNT Daisy Cutter at the end of last season. Took a few months to figure out, but I love using it now. I believe the RNT Original is a slightly easier call to run than the Daisy Cutter...not positive on that though.

Agreed.

I can agree with all of that. The mvp is hands down my favorite of the rnt line up. Not the most fun run and play with but without a dount the best call they make imo.[/quote]
What makes it so good if you don't mind me asking.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Duck Call Forum