Got a little bored earlier

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Got a little bored earlier

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:10 pm

My first duck call was a Foiles/BGB Death Whistle. I loved that call. But in my stupidity, I used it as my Guinea Pig for my first go around at tuning and I completely butchered the guts on it and never got around to replacing them. So it got put away and honestly forgotten about until today when I found it. Now I also have a DR-85 crack pipe that I bought earlier this year and I love it. Awesome little cheap call. Well I decided to swap the inserts in them and guess what, the crack pipe insert fits perfectly inside the Death Whistle barrel. It looks goofy as all get out, but it sounds so sexy. Plus I don't have to worry about cracking my barrel anymore.

Here is both calls before the swap.

And the final product.
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Re: Got a little bored earlier

Postby Tomkat » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:07 pm

Happy you made it work, but sad you left the crack pipe bunch, less than a week after I got your picture with Mr Haydel.
Tomkat

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:58 am

Tomkat wrote:Happy you made it work, but sad you left the crack pipe bunch, less than a week after I got your picture with Mr Haydel.

I had a hard time with the crack pipe. Mouthpiece is a liitle to narrow for me to be comfortable. I suck at calling anyways. Usually only quack, comeback and greeting:sad: Somehow I still manage to kill a lot of ducks., guess we just hold all the dumb ones
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Weston81 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:13 pm

I have the BGB death whistle and never knew what it's name was other than a BGB call. One of the first duck calls I bought that I truly enjoyed running and still have it on my backup lanyard.
Weston81

Postby Shaun Patrick » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:23 pm

What do you mean you butchered the guts? Did you sand or cut on the end piece?
Shaun Patrick

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:25 pm

Shaun Patrick wrote:What do you mean you butchered the guts? Did you sand or cut on the end piece?

Just jacked up the reeds beyond repair. Never got around to getting replacement ones.
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:06 pm

MOhuntingGuy wrote:
Shaun Patrick wrote:What do you mean you butchered the guts? Did you sand or cut on the end piece?

Just jacked up the reeds beyond repair. Never got around to getting replacement ones.
Tuning and working on duck calls is something we should not be afraid of. It's easy to fix a call if you get new reeds and a cork. Trevor Shanahan did a you-tube video of him tuning calls that is very helpful. Every duck-hunter should know how to tune calls. It's not hard.

Longer reed makes it lower pitched and takes more air. Less likely to stick.
Shorter reed makes it higher pitched and more likely to stick.
Dog-earing the corners of the reed makes it more raspy.
A good single-reed duck call should be re-corked about once every two weeks if you hunt it hard daily. It makes a difference if the cork is fresh and tight.

Back when I started hunting ducks...some calls actually had reeds in them like a clarinet or a sax.
If you tore up a reed you were done for that day at least. That's why you carried several calls.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Tomkat » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:53 pm

aunt betty wrote:
MOhuntingGuy wrote:

Tuning and working on duck calls is something we should not be afraid of. It's easy to fix a call if you get new reeds and a cork. Trevor Shanahan did a you-tube video of him tuning calls that is very helpful. Every duck-hunter should know how to tune calls. It's not hard.

A good single-reed duck call should be re-corked about once every two weeks if you hunt it hard daily. It makes a difference if the cork is fresh and tight.

Back when I started hunting ducks...some calls actually had reeds in them like a clarinet or a sax.
If you tore up a reed you were done for that day at least. That's why you carried several calls.

What calls do you use Acorn? I am taking a hard look at an RNT Original....The time has some for me to try single reed calls. Jarbo just wrapped up my crack pipe, looking forward to trying that.
Tomkat

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:13 pm

Tomkat wrote:
aunt betty wrote:
MOhuntingGuy wrote:

What calls do you use Acorn? I am taking a hard look at an RNT Original....The time has some for me to try single reed calls. Jarbo just wrapped up my crack pipe, looking forward to trying that.

Original is a VERY easy call to run. Never should have sold mine
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:20 pm

Flightstopper wrote:
Tomkat wrote:
aunt betty wrote:
MOhuntingGuy wrote:

Original is a VERY easy call to run. Never should have sold mine

The Original is great for a single reed beginner. You will learn the propper air presentation with it.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby insaneduck » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:50 pm

Tomkat wrote:
aunt betty wrote:
MOhuntingGuy wrote:

What calls do you use Acorn? I am taking a hard look at an RNT Original....The time has some for me to try single reed Congrats! calls. Jarbo just wrapped up my crack pipe, looking forward to trying that.
insaneduck

Postby insaneduck » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:53 pm

Ment to say he's a short barrel kinda guy and its a good idea to bring extras every hunt and a pair of toenail clippers
insaneduck

Postby Tomkat » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:07 pm

Flightstopper put the idea in my head and I have been researching them ever since. I like hedge; will it matter one bit if I go that route on an Original?
Tomkat

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:10 pm

Tomkat wrote:Flightstopper put the idea in my head and I have been researching them ever since. I like hedge; will it matter one bit if I go that route on an Original?

You are asking the wrong person.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:20 pm

Tomkat wrote:Flightstopper put the idea in my head and I have been researching them ever since. I like hedge; will it matter one bit if I go that route on an Original?

You will not be able to buy a hedge from RNT any more. They have discontinued the production of hedge calls. The material of the call will effect the sound of the call. I have both a Cocobola and an Acrylic Original. Of the two I prefer the acrylic for two reasons. 1) I like the louder, sharper sound of the acrylic, 2) Acrylic is far more durable and you dont have to worry about swelling.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:35 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:

You will not be able to buy a hedge from RNT any more. They have discontinued the production of hedge calls. The material of the call will effect the sound of the call. I have both a Cocobola and an Acrylic Original. Of the two I prefer the acrylic for two reasons. 1) I like the louder, sharper sound of the acrylic, 2) Acrylic is far more durable and you dont have to worry about swelling.

This
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:35 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:

Ask tnal about african blackwood, its the closest to acrylic I've ever seen.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:54 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

Ask tnal about african blackwood, its the closest to acrylic I've ever seen.

There are some woods that are dense enough to sound the same. Me personally, I can't tell a difference between blackwood or stabilized woods and acrylic but I can from less dense woods.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby insaneduck » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:09 pm

Even poured acrylic sounds different than turned. Its all different and u have to try it all to decide what you personally like. I prefer poured acrylic and Bakelite.
insaneduck

Postby aunt betty » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:48 am

Try a hedge call sometime. The one I have is extremely loud.
That wood has a lot of names.
Bo d'arc, Osage Orange, Hedge, and a few others. The old-timers around here called it Ironwood.
Have cut down a few Hedge trees. That wood will plain EAT up a chain on your chainsaw.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Tomkat » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:57 pm

Thats why you need a chipper chain
Tomkat

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:48 pm

Tomkat wrote:Thats why you need a chipper chain

Full skip chipper

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:10 pm

I about started a fire at my feet last time I cut down some hedge. Had some sparks coming off it. Had to swap chains in the middle and file down the burs on the blade. Pain in the friggin butt.
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Return to Duck Call Forum