Couple calls came in

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Re: Couple calls came in

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:03 pm

rebelp74 wrote: not what I thought it'd be. Not a cutdown by any means but a decent runner, I don't that it'll kill birds at all but not very versatile in terms of what it'll do. Definitely a hunter only.

This statement has me all kinds of confused.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:19 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
rebelp74 wrote: not what I thought it'd be. Not a cutdown by any means but a decent runner, I don't doubt that it'll kill birds at all but not very versatile in terms of what it'll do. Definitely a hunter only.

I left out doubt after don't. My bad. fify
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:23 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
rebelp74 wrote: not what I thought it'd be. Not a cutdown by any means but a decent runner, I don't doubt that it'll kill birds at all but not very versatile in terms of what it'll do. Definitely a hunter only.

That clears it.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:32 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

That clears it.

Somewhat reminds of Watkins swamp bore/hybrid swamp bore as far as not being versatile and having a unique tone. Not the same tone as Watkins but a little different than most, for lack of a better term somewhat hollow.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby KyMike » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:19 am

Somewhat reminds of Watkins swamp bore/hybrid swamp bore as far as not being versatile and having a unique tone. Not the same tone as Watkins but a little different than most, for lack of a better term somewhat hollow.[/quote]

If it sounds hollow try using sharper air, not cutdown sharp but close. Sharp/pressurized air will give the call the rasp and rattle Gary built into the call. If you use the same air as a standard j frame it will not sound it's best with the standard tuning. It's similar to a Lares in that once you understand how to present air into the call correctly it will come to life.

Gary has very precise tuning for a powerful boss hen hunting call. It can be tuned lighter to get a little more low end whine out of it.
KyMike

Postby aunt betty » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:14 pm

KyMike wrote:Somewhat reminds of Watkins swamp bore/hybrid swamp bore as far as not being versatile and having a unique tone. Not the same tone as Watkins but a little different than most, for lack of a better term somewhat hollow.

If it sounds hollow try using sharper air, not cutdown sharp but close. Sharp/pressurized air will give the call the rasp and rattle Gary built into the call. If you use the same air as a standard j frame it will not sound it's best with the standard tuning. It's similar to a Lares in that once you understand how to present air into the call correctly it will come to life.

Gary has very precise tuning for a powerful boss hen hunting call. It can be tuned lighter to get a little more low end whine out of it.[/quote]
I keep preaching "hum on your call" and get laughed at but don't care because I know it's right and that's how you make a duck call come to life.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby KyMike » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:12 pm

Good tip AB. I tried it today. Took a bit to get it but it's definitely more than voice inflection. It gives a deep, full sound. It sounded really good.
KyMike

Postby aunt betty » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:28 pm

KyMike wrote:Good tip AB. I tried it today. Took a bit to get it but it's definitely more than voice inflection. It gives a deep, full sound. It sounded really good.

Spent a couple GRAND hiring guides and listening to them hum into calls. They call it grunting though.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby hudson » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:46 pm

KyMike wrote:Good tip AB. I tried it today. Took a bit to get it but it's definitely more than voice inflection. It gives a deep, full sound. It sounded really good.
mike did you buy that micarta ccc
hudson

Postby KyMike » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:03 am

Nope. I think it's still available.
KyMike

Previous

Return to Duck Call Forum