RNT Shortbarrel

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

RNT Shortbarrel

Postby Tomkat » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:29 am

I just got an acrylic short barrel. So far I like it, sounds real ducky and is not as loud as my Original.

Anyone ever hunt with a SB?
Tomkat

Re: RNT Shortbarrel

Postby RonE » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:33 am

Tomkat wrote:I just got an acrylic short barrel. So far I like it, sounds real ducky and is not as loud as my Original.

Anyone ever hunt with a SB?

I hunt with a 28' barrel so I guess it would be considered medium long.........I would say a long barrel is anything over 28" and short would be considered 24" or less.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Rick » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:08 am

The first SBs were pretty loud calls, but they've decreased the bore, apparently to create more separation between it and the Daisy Cutter that evolved from the SB.

(And now they've tightened the current Microhen's bore, perhaps to create more separation between it and the SB. Grrr...)
Rick

Postby Tomkat » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:10 am

Next to my original you can see that the bore is smaller, its a quieter call.
Tomkat

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:04 am

I have a coco SB. Love it.
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Tomkat » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:09 am

Easy to run and sounds ducky
Tomkat

Postby triplecurl » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:09 pm

I had a coco SB and sold it.
triplecurl

Postby aunt betty » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:26 pm

My coco SB got stolen and I'm not crying at all. I want the throwback and hedge goose call back and it still hurts 7 months later.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:07 pm

Have a hedge short barrel that although I do like a lot it doesn't get hunted. It's the one call I don't hunt that I keep around.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:13 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Have a hedge short barrel that although I do like a lot it doesn't get hunted. It's the one call I don't hunt that I keep around.

That call is desirable.
I never had much luck with coco calls. The wood is too dense.
Ever weigh calls?
Had a coco and a hedge throwback. The coco was considerable heavier. It effect performance as well.

So how much would you sell the hedge SB for?
aunt betty

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:43 pm

aunt betty wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:Have a hedge short barrel that although I do like a lot it doesn't get hunted. It's the one call I don't hunt that I keep around.

That call is desirable.
Ever weigh calls?
Had a coco and a hedge throwback. The coco was considerable heavier. It effect performance as well.

Had to verify before I posted that it was in fact hedge, have had it awhile. [attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1395182612429.jpg[/attachment]
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:50 pm

A friend blessed me with a hedge SB with a pretty neat history from back when they had their original bigger bore that may well have been the "duckiest" call I've heard, let alone owned. Loved everything about that call except that it was a "between" call that didn't fill a field need and couldn't bump either my MVP on the top end or Microhen on the bottom. So after giving it a couple seasons on the experimental loop to try and earn a permanent one, it was sent to the bench in a backup roll for a few years before I found just the right person to pass it along to last Fall. Great young fellow who's call and calling crazy and could live with the admonition, "It's a gift call: you can give it away, but if you sell it, your dick will fall off."
Rick

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:58 pm

Rick wrote:

A friend blessed me with a hedge SB with a pretty neat history from back when they had their original bigger bore that may well have been the "duckiest" call I've heard, let alone owned. Loved everything about that call except that it was a "between" call that didn't fill a field need and couldn't bump either my MVP on the top end or Microhen on the bottom. So after giving it a couple seasons on the experimental loop to try and earn a permanent one, it was sent to the bench in a backup roll for a few years before I found just the right person to pass it along to last Fall. Great young fellow who's call and calling crazy and could live with the admonition, "It's a gift call: you can give it away, but if you sell it, your dick will fall off."

Well I'd most certainly like to keep my dick securely attached, where it be now. Main reason mine is not hunted is same as your's, love my MVP and SB doesn't fill another need. What would be the larger bore diameter size that you had?
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:17 pm

I don't know that the bore was identical, but, to my ear, it had the same volume as my DC from the scrolled insert period.
Rick

Postby Tomkat » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:44 pm

These pretty wooden calls and stories aside, mine is acrylic with a smaller bore. I like it so far. Calls are a funny thing. Ten people can sound different on the same call.

I never found a DC I liked, but its a very popular call.

Hopefully I will kill a bunch of birds with it. I have been practising a lot lately LOL
Tomkat

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:58 pm

Tomkat wrote:These pretty wooden calls and stories aside, mine is acrylic with a smaller bore. I like it so far. Calls are a funny thing. Ten people can sound different on the same call.

I never found a DC I liked, but its a very popular call.

Hopefully I will kill a bunch of birds with it. I have been practising a lot lately LOL

I think it's weird that you don't like the DC, but you are a fan of the SB, add they are so similar.

I think the burnt hedge SB is a great looking call. I wish they didn't blow up in popularity...

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:30 pm

aunt betty wrote:

That call is desirable.
Ever weigh calls?

actually coco is less dense, that's why it's softer sounding than hedge. The reason it weighs more is the oil content.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Tomkat » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:06 am

FS I have only tried a few of them. Have not given up on a DC
Tomkat

Postby Rick » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:59 am

rebelp74 wrote:...actually coco is less dense, that's why it's softer sounding than hedge. The reason it weighs more is the oil content.

Pretty sure "density" is expressed as weight per cubic foot, and cocobolo is considerably "denser" than hedge. Density affects a call's crispness of tone, IE: the closer a wood's density comes to that of acrylic, the closer its tone will come to acrylic's. Hedge, while not as dense as most other woods used in call making, is harder than most, a combination which gives calls made of it a quality I think of a resonance.

In any event, we're probably splitting hairs, as a bazillion and three other things have greater affect on the tone coming out the end of a call, and most folks probably wouldn't be able to identify whether a call is made of any wood, acrylic or polycarbonate by its sound unless we had identical calls of the varying materials to compare - and perhaps not then.
Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:23 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:I think it's weird that you don't like the DC, but you are a fan of the SB, add they are so similar.

I confess I've never run the current version DC, but my old one is very different than any SB I've run in terms of both tone and ease of operation, even the early version SB that's toneboard was reshaped to create it. The old DC is HARSH, the Janis Joplin of Susies, and drives like a truck compared to any of the SBs I've tried. In fact, I use it as a truck call before the season like a runner might run in sand, up stairs or with ankle weights to make running without those handicaps easier. When the DC is running really well for me, the calls I hunt with flat sing on a whim. And when I was carrying it afield, that harsh tone sometimes did the trick of bringing birds staled on the MVP back around. Thought a cutdown's tone might offer that last advantage to an even greater degree, but three seasons of the experimental use of one left me thinking the old version DC's tone more effective in that regard.

Could well be all that changed with the current DCs, and maybe they were so similar that decreasing the SB's bore was the only way to make them appreciably different, but I know there are some Internet debaters who put on a good show of knowing their way around calls who claim the new and old are much alike. While others will tell you the new ones are a pale shadow of the old. Dunno.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:59 am

rebelp74 wrote:
aunt betty wrote:

That call is desirable.
Ever weigh calls?

actually coco is less dense, that's why it's softer sounding than hedge. The reason it weighs more is the oil content.

Density = mass/volume.

Two calls with equal volume and one weighs ten grams more...which is more dense? The heavier one.

You better do some more bongs and think about what you just posted.
aunt betty

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:01 am

Rick wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:...actually coco is less dense, that's why it's softer sounding than hedge. The reason it weighs more is the oil content.

Pretty sure "density" is expressed as weight per cubic foot, and cocobolo is considerably "denser" than hedge. Density affects a call's crispness of tone, IE: the closer a wood's density comes to that of acrylic, the closer its tone will come to acrylic's. Hedge, while not as dense as most other woods used in call making, is harder than most, a combination which gives calls made of it a quality I think of a resonance.

In any event, we're probably splitting hairs, as a bazillion and three other things have greater affect on the tone coming out the end of a call, and most folks probably wouldn't be able to identify whether a call is made of any wood, acrylic or polycarbonate by its sound unless we had identical calls of the varying materials to compare - and perhaps not then.

Gotcha, I was going with denseness as in the tightness of the grain. What is that makes cocobolo sound softer than most other woods, grain?
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Tomkat » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:20 am

Still loving my new acrylic SB!!
Tomkat

Postby aunt betty » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:41 am

rebelp74 wrote:
Rick wrote:

Gotcha, I was going with denseness as in the tightness of the grain. What is that makes cocobolo sound softer than most other woods, grain?

That coco throwback sounded louder than hedge. It was way louder.
I do not agree with coco being a softer tone than hedge.
I won't be using or buying a coco call again ever. Tried several. Oh, they're beautiful but not to them timber mallards. They liked hedge better. Ok?
aunt betty

Postby Tomkat » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:56 am

Soon you wont have a choice. They quit logging cocobolo recently.
Tomkat

Postby Rick » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:26 am

Fairly sure there are only restrictions on some sources.
Rick

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:34 am

Rick wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:I think it's weird that you don't like the DC, but you are a fan of the SB, add they are so similar.

I confess I've never run the current version DC, but my old one is very different than any SB I've run in terms of both tone and ease of operation, even the early version SB that's toneboard was reshaped to create it. The old DC is HARSH, the Janis Joplin of Susies, and drives like a truck compared to any of the SBs I've tried. In fact, I use it as a truck call before the season like a runner might run in sand, up stairs or with ankle weights to make running without those handicaps easier. When the DC is running really well for me, the calls I hunt with flat sing on a whim. And when I was carrying it afield, that harsh tone sometimes did the trick of bringing birds staled on the MVP back around. Thought a cutdown's tone might offer that last advantage to an even greater degree, but three seasons of the experimental use of one left me thinking the old version DC's tone more effective in that regard.

Could well be all that changed with the current DCs, and maybe they were so similar that decreasing the SB's bore was the only way to make them appreciably different, but I know there are some Internet debaters who put on a good show of knowing their way around calls who claim the new and old are much alike. While others will tell you the new ones are a pale shadow of the old. Dunno.

IMO they're different, but are similar enough to not have a preference in the call itself, but rather the sounds you're looking for.

RNT describes them as big brother and little brother now. Makes me think they intend the new styles to be similar...

Glad you're enjoying yours Tom! What color did you get?

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Tomkat » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:40 am

Ugly green on top of ugly yellow!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395243605.059897.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Tomkat

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:48 am

Just like my Daisy Cutter. I want to replace the insert with an ivory one...

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Tomkat » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:09 am

I am sticking with my ugly green bay packer look. This one sounds good, I dont want to mess it up!
Tomkat

Next

Return to Duck Call Forum