Call blanks

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Call blanks

Postby hudson » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:45 pm

3 hedge blanks [attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1396316695234.jpg[/attachment]gonna send em to rnt.only ordered two but he sent me 3 plus a walnut blank.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
hudson

Re: Call blanks

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:29 pm

Anybody use cherry For duck calls?
We have a few nice trees on our property with some burls on them. Thinking about trying to get a call made from one.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby hudson » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:38 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:Anybody use cherry For duck calls?
We have a few nice trees on our property with some burls on them. Thinking about trying to get a call made from one.
I'm sure you can.i don't know how hard cherry wood is but you can always get it stabilized.you can dye it too or leave it natural
hudson

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:39 pm

hudson wrote:
I'm sure you can.i don't know how hard cherry wood is but you can always get it stabilized.you can dye it too or leave it natural

It's not soft, but it's not hard either. With a burl, it would probably have to be stabilized to fill any voids.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby hudson » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:41 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
hudson wrote:

It's not soft, but it's not hard either. With a burl, it would probably have to be stabilized to fill any voids.
www.wooddynamics.net
hudson

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:41 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
hudson wrote:

You cant cut burls off live trees and expect them to live. Your post made me think of some guys rant on another forum. You probably knew that but just saying if somebody didn't.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:44 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
hudson wrote:

You cant cut burls off live trees and expect them to live. Your post made me think of some guys rant on another forum. You probably knew that but just saying if somebody didn't.

Oh yeah. I'm planning on cutting them down. My dad is getting a bunch clear cut and I was planning on taking a couple if the nicer cherry trees first.

Someone actually thought you could cut a chunk out if the tree and it would be fine?
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:45 pm

hudson wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
hudson wrote:

www.wooddynamics.net

:thumbsup:
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:48 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
hudson wrote:

Oh yeah. I'm planning on cutting them down. My dad is getting a bunch clear cut and I was planning on taking a couple if the nicer cherry trees first.

Someone actually thought you could cut a chunk out if the tree and it would be fine?

Somebody went to some public lands and cut burls off of 100+ year old cherry trees. The guy bitching lived near there and was upset about those old trees dying.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby hudson » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:49 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
hudson wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
hudson wrote:

www.wooddynamics.net

:thumbsup:
He's got stabilized cherry on the site
hudson

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:49 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
hudson wrote:[quote="NuffDaddy"]Anybody use cherry For duck calls?

Somebody went to some public lands and cut burls off of 100+ year old cherry trees. The guy bitching lived near there and was upset about those old trees dying.[/quote]
Gotcha. That kinda sucks. People always cut a few oaks off the public land by our cabin for firewood every year. Kinda pisses me off.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby hudson » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:49 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
hudson wrote:[quote="NuffDaddy"]Anybody use cherry For duck calls?

Somebody went to some public lands and cut burls off of 100+ year old cherry trees. The guy bitching lived near there and was upset about those old trees dying.[/quote]man that's crazy
hudson

Postby aunt betty » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:12 pm

hudson wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:[quote="hudson"][quote="NuffDaddy"]Anybody use cherry For duck calls?

Somebody went to some public lands and cut burls off of 100+ year old cherry trees. The guy bitching lived near there and was upset about those old trees dying.[/quote]man that's crazy[/quote]
Up in Alaska they have what they calls burroughs on trees where ice wounds a tree and a huge freakish knot grows. Sometimes so large they cut them into tabletops. Have seen them go for many thousands of dollars. (When gas was 75 cents a gallon).

If you could get away with it...the temptation is definitely there. Exotic wood...if it bothers you then quit buying it.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:14 pm

Yup. That's what I'm talking about Betty.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396379652.452162.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396379660.451375.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Return to Duck Call Forum