Need Advice...

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Need Advice...

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:05 pm

So now I am not a terrible duck caller, and have started sounding good, I am going to buy a new call (That and I decided I needed to clean the reeds of my timber cutter, and I put them back in wrong so sounds like shit now) I hunt over open water mostly and am looking to spend in the $50-$75 range. What should I get?
assateague wrote:Put that in your huff-n-puffer and smoke it, shootin' boy.
ducks~n~bucks

Re: Need Advice...

Postby Rick » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:57 pm

If you liked that Timber Cutter (probably my favorite Haydel), you could start by sending it back to the guys for a retune, or, better, call or e-mail them for a link to Rod's video on tuning their calls and learn to do it yourself for best personal "fit". (Virtually certain I've seen said video but can't find it now.)
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:02 pm

ducks~n~bucks wrote:So now I am not a terrible duck caller, and have started sounding good, I am going to buy a new call (That and I decided I needed to clean the reeds of my timber cutter, and I put them back in wrong so sounds like shit now) I hunt over open water mostly and am looking to spend in the $50-$75 range. What should I get?

Could you go $80?
I can turn you onto the best, loudest, duckiest double-reed there is. Its called white lightning. PM me.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:03 pm

Rick wrote:If you liked that Timber Cutter (probably my favorite Haydel), you could start by sending it back to the guys for a retune, or, better, call or e-mail them for a link to Rod's video on tuning their calls and learn to do it yourself for best personal "fit". (Virtually certain I've seen said video but can't find it now.)

Yeah, that TC is a great call. My dad even liked it. He liked it so much, in fact, that when he heard me calling with it while we were hunting he asked if he could see it, tried it on the next few ducks, and kept it until he bought his own. :lol:
ducks~n~bucks

Postby Rick » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:03 pm

Found it: http://s29.photobucket.com/user/RodHaydel/media/P1230003.mp4.html

The video says DR-85, but the Timber Cutter or any other "Louisiana style" call with a floating reed and wedge design will tune much the same.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:15 pm

Hey rick. The white lighting call is unique. It has a custom guts that is adjustable like you've never seen.
Its a j-frame where the entire guts slide in or out. I would really like to hear what a Louisiana guide would say about it, good or bad. The call is a cross between Louisiana and Olt j-frame
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:16 pm

I'd send mine for u 2 look at if u wanted.
aunt betty

Postby RonE » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:08 pm

I think that for $75 and two boxes of shells, you can get someone that knows how to call to go hunting with you.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:50 pm

Rick, that video just saved me a bunch of money. I figured out I had the sound tunnel sticking out of the insert too far, so I pulled the insert out of my dad's timber cutter and matched it with his. Now my call sounds brand new. I feel dumb. I may get another call anyway just cause.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby aunt betty » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:58 pm

ducks~n~bucks wrote:Rick, that video just saved me a bunch of money. I figured out I had the sound tunnel sticking out of the insert too far, so I pulled the insert out of my dad's timber cutter and matched it with his. Now my call sounds brand new. I feel dumb. I may get another call anyway just cause.

Mark the guts with a fine point sharpie. That white lightning is hell to tune if you don't have a starting point. Once in pieces you're lost. Sounds like the call you worked on is similar.
Glad u got it running right.
aunt betty

Return to Duck Call Forum