Camo shaved reed speck

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Camo shaved reed speck

Postby hudson » Fri May 02, 2014 6:46 pm

Made by primos but they discontinued the color.anybody got one they would part with.please excuse the snuff on my hand haha
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
hudson

Re: Camo shaved reed speck

Postby rebelp74 » Fri May 02, 2014 6:47 pm

Ewwww
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby hudson » Fri May 02, 2014 6:50 pm

rebelp74 wrote:Ewwww
hahahaha
hudson

Postby hudson » Fri May 02, 2014 6:51 pm

rebelp74 wrote:Ewwww
you ever try a jj lares speck
hudson

Postby Rick » Fri May 02, 2014 7:25 pm

hudson wrote:Made by primos but they discontinued the color.anybody got one they would part with.please excuse the snuff on my hand haha

Had one for a while some years ago. but already gave it to a fellow who liked them better than I did.
Rick

Postby hudson » Fri May 02, 2014 7:31 pm

Rick wrote:
hudson wrote:Made by primos but they discontinued the color.anybody got one they would part with.please excuse the snuff on my hand haha

Had one for a while some years ago. but already gave it to a fellow who liked them better than I did.
Rick you ever try a lares speck
hudson

Postby Rick » Fri May 02, 2014 7:33 pm

I'm a great fan of the new/current Lares speck call. Not loud enough for a lot of situations, but the least back pressure sensitive and most true to bird of the couple dozen or so speck calls I've tried. (His earlier one was very weak all around.)
Rick

Postby hudson » Fri May 02, 2014 7:42 pm

Rick wrote:I'm a great fan of the new/current Lares speck call. Not loud enough for a lot of situations, but the least back pressure sensitive and most true to bird of the couple dozen or so speck calls I've tried. (His earlier one was very weak all around.)
may have to get one and if I don't like it it shouldn't be that hard to turn
hudson

Postby rebelp74 » Fri May 02, 2014 8:24 pm

Haven't ran a lares speck, I'm a riceland guy
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby rebelp74 » Fri May 02, 2014 8:25 pm

JB also makes a good one
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri May 02, 2014 8:34 pm

hudson wrote:
Rick wrote:I'm a great fan of the new/current Lares speck call. Not loud enough for a lot of situations, but the least back pressure sensitive and most true to bird of the couple dozen or so speck calls I've tried. (His earlier one was very weak all around.)

Hell, might as well go ahead and buy yourself 2 or 3, you know save a couple bucks on shipping. Haha
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri May 02, 2014 8:36 pm

rebelp74 wrote:Haven't ran a lares speck, I'm a riceland guy

Ive heard lares duck and they are loud, never heard a speck though. For my minimal ability, I have liked the riceland rebel suggested though.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby hudson » Fri May 02, 2014 8:48 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
hudson wrote:

Hell, might as well go ahead and buy yourself 2 or 3, you know save a couple bucks on shipping. Haha
hahaha
hudson

Postby Rick » Sat May 03, 2014 7:30 am

I'm not a Lares guy and think his duck call's success rests mainly on selling pre-cut reeds that let folks who don't otherwise know how to make a call best fit their own physiology, methodology and tone preferences do so "by numbers". And as mentioned above, I'd run his earlier speck call, and it wasn't in the same game with others I'd run. But this sound file convinced me to give the new one a toot: http://www.jjlares.com/mp3/speck.mp3 Of course, it doesn't hurt that Ken White, the very accomplished CA caller who helped Lares design it, is running the new Lares for the file.

Tripod, I'm a Riceland guy, too. Sort of. I was running two RNTs, one with a thicker than stock reed for volume and one with a thinner than stock reed for quiet work, when James, who'd guided with us for some years, gave me what was then a James Meyers Custom Call that blew my heavy RNT off the lanyard:

Was easier to get what I wanted from a loud call out of James' big-gutted call (which became a Riceland when buddy Bill Daniels joined him in its production) than from my RNT. But I'm not skilled enough to also get the same stuff out of it as I did from the light RNT, so it stayed on, despite my struggling some with switching between their very different air presentation and back pressure requirements. Then when I tried the Lares and found it gave me what the light RNT did without transition hiccups between it and the Riceland, it retired that RNT.

But I used the quiet Lares in the field so little this, it's first, season that I eventually replaced it with another Riceland to compare the effectiveness of different tunings, more or less side by side. Was kicking myself over that the very next morning, which was dead still and foggy and made the Ricelands sound like fog horns banging off the tree lined protection levee behind me. Lares made a comeback and secured its loop by being the ticket in two or three other bad to echo situations in the next few days.

Here, for the call junkies, is my second Riceland, a linen micarta one my gator boss surprised me with, and which James was nice enough to turn the insert down on to the original JMCC dimensions I prefer to their current ones and leave unfinished for me:
Rick

Postby rebelp74 » Sat May 03, 2014 8:45 am

Rick wrote:I'm not a Lares guy and think his duck call's success rests mainly on selling pre-cut reeds that let folks who don't otherwise know how to make a call best fit their own physiology, methodology and tone preferences do so "by numbers". And as mentioned above, I'd run his earlier speck call, and it wasn't in the same game with others I'd run. But this sound file convinced me to give the new one a toot: http://www.jjlares.com/mp3/speck.mp3 Of course, it doesn't hurt that Ken White, the very accomplished CA caller who helped Lares design it, is running the new Lares for the file.

Tripod, I'm a Riceland guy, too. Sort of. I was running two RNTs, one with a thicker than stock reed for volume and one with a thinner than stock reed for quiet work, when James, who'd guided with us for some years, gave me what was then a James Meyers Custom Call that blew my heavy RNT off the lanyard:

Was easier to get what I wanted from a loud call out of James' big-gutted call (which became a Riceland when buddy Bill Daniels joined him in its production) than from my RNT. But I'm not skilled enough to also get the same stuff out of it as I did from the light RNT, so it stayed on, despite my struggling some with switching between their very different air presentation and back pressure requirements. Then when I tried the Lares and found it gave me what the light RNT did without transition hiccups between it and the Riceland, it retired that RNT.

But I used the quiet Lares in the field so little this, it's first, season that I eventually replaced it with another Riceland to compare the effectiveness of different tunings, more or less side by side. Was kicking myself over that the very next morning, which was dead still and foggy and made the Ricelands sound like fog horns banging off the tree lined protection levee behind me. Lares made a comeback and secured its loop by being the ticket in two or three other bad to echo situations in the next few days.

Here, for the call junkies, is my second Riceland, a linen micarta one my gator boss surprised me with, and which James was nice enough to turn the insert down on to the original JMCC dimensions I prefer to their current ones and leave unfinished for me:

I never get tired of seeing that call
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Rick » Sat May 03, 2014 9:19 am

As you might imagine, neither looks anything like those photo's today. The varnish is long worn from the hedge's insert, and it's had annual coats of Howard's butcher block conditioner that give it a "patina" of hard use I much prefer. And the micarta is pretty much just black from my grubby little paws and a dirty job, but would little doubt clean back up well. (Fear those excited about their frosted looking CCCs are in for a surprise if they actually use them much.)

Re: the Lares, it occurred to me that I might should point out that it doesn't tune like most of what's out there. These are the guts:

and everything bottoms out on a shelf in the insert. Can only be tuned by modifying the reed or toneboard, and the dang toneboards are $25 a pop, if memory serves. If Hudson gets one, he'll see the shop is using standard reed lengths and apparently doing a hair of tuning in front of the toneboard trough. Seeing that, I got an extra toneboard and tried my own hand at such tuning this a Dremel Polishing wheel and came up with a bit better "fit" for what I wanted than theirs, but stopped experimenting until I take a fit to pony up for a couple more toneboads.
Rick

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat May 03, 2014 8:48 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
Rick wrote:I'm not a Lares guy and think his duck call's success rests mainly on selling pre-cut reeds that let folks who don't otherwise know how to make a call best fit their own physiology, methodology and tone preferences do so "by numbers". And as mentioned above, I'd run his earlier speck call, and it wasn't in the same game with others I'd run. But this sound file convinced me to give the new one a toot: http://www.jjlares.com/mp3/speck.mp3 Of course, it doesn't hurt that Ken White, the very accomplished CA caller who helped Lares design it, is running the new Lares for the file.

Yup. Need a micarta call.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby rebelp74 » Sat May 03, 2014 8:50 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:

Yup. Need a micarta call.

:oops: :oops: :oops:
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat May 03, 2014 9:05 pm

What?
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat May 03, 2014 9:14 pm

3legged_lab wrote:What?

Weren't you going to turn micarta for you and Reb?
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat May 03, 2014 9:22 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:

The guy he ordered from stretched the truth, it wasnt really micarta. Said he returned it.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat May 03, 2014 9:28 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:

The guy he ordered from stretched the truth, it wasnt really micarta. Said he returned it.

Probably just a sore subject then...
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby rebelp74 » Sun May 04, 2014 6:31 am

It ended up something like fiberglass that looked like and he called micarta.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby aunt betty » Sun May 04, 2014 9:54 am

rebelp74 wrote:It ended up something like fiberglass that looked like and he called micarta.

Micarta can be lots of things.
[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1399215246059.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1399215254433.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1399215263004.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1399215271269.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1399215278473.jpg[/attachment]
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Sun May 04, 2014 10:06 am

Some of those images make no sense. Micarta is a laminate of layers of cloth or paper and resin under pressure, and either of those materials are going to produce a geometic "grain".
Rick

Postby Rick » Sun May 04, 2014 10:40 am

Probably should have prefaced that with "Micarta used for calls is a laminate..." harkening back to the Westinghouse process. But for all I know, "micarta" could be used as loosely as "duck hunter"...
Rick

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun May 04, 2014 11:36 am

Rick wrote:Some of those images make no sense.

And you're surprised?
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Return to Duck Call Forum