Whistle work...

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Whistle work...

Postby Rick » Thu May 08, 2014 8:29 am

Ok, Wingsetter wizards and assorted duck whislers, how do you work 'em?
Rick

Re: Whistle work...

Postby Bootlipkiller » Thu May 08, 2014 8:39 am

I normally blow air into the end of it. If it makes noise you got the right end. :lol:
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby Rick » Thu May 08, 2014 9:34 am

And I was hoping for so much more from you: perhaps farting Dixie through a Wingsetter butt plug...
Rick

Whistle work...

Postby Redbeard » Thu May 08, 2014 9:36 am

Rick wrote:And I was hoping for so much more from you: perhaps farting Dixie through a Wingsetter butt plug...
yea Rick you laid on the sarcasm purty thick here
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu May 08, 2014 9:37 am

Depends on the sound your going for. A drake mallard takes a buzz/hum to make the "dreet" noise that they make. The others are clean air while you play with the sound holes.
Last edited by Feelin' Fowl on Thu May 08, 2014 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby rebelp74 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:40 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:Depends on the sound your going for. A drake mallard takes a buzz/hum to make the "dreet" nose that they make. The others are clean air while you play with the sound holes.

This. My favorite whistle to run, simply for ease of use, is a haydels. Wingerts do have great sound but aren't as easy to use because they require hands on to work. Addictions wingert type style whistles aren't user friendly, design flaw with the internal whistle. I don't care for the megaphone type whistles, too uncomfortable. And wingsetters are just gay. :D
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Rick » Thu May 08, 2014 9:43 am

Redbeard wrote:
Rick wrote:And I was hoping for so much more from you: perhaps farting Dixie through a Wingsetter butt plug...
yea Rick you layer on the sarcasm purty thick here

Some sort of reach=around seemed appropriate, but I'll try to be more subtle about it in the future.
Rick

Postby Redbeard » Thu May 08, 2014 9:48 am

Rick wrote:
Redbeard wrote:
yea Rick you layer on the sarcasm purty thick here

Some sort of reach=around seemed appropriate, but I'll try to be more subtle about it in the future.
Haha
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Rick » Thu May 08, 2014 10:18 am

In the "way back when" I was a great whistle fan, but I've felt I've had more leverage with whistling ducks using quacking calls for so long I can't remember the last time I saw pintails, wigeon or teal and reached for a whistle. For the past couple decades, whistles have been more of a specialty call for me. Say if everybody and his three cousins has quacked at low approaching mallards or if they're coming low after working and passing on a spot where someone's soured them on quacking, I'm apt to grab the whistle and do my best to sound like a mess and a half of teal on the water. Same thing when I'm in a hard hunted spot and see birds that plainly know the blind wanting to land well out: one of the "tricks" I'm apt to try is making it sound like there's a swarm of teal in the decoys, instead of the usual quacking SOB guarding them.

But I'm pretty much a one trick whistle pony with that "mess of teal" peeping tactic. About the only time I vary it is at first light and on foggy mornings, when I stick a Haydel whistle in the corner of my mouth to advertise fairly constantly to unseen birds, while we BS waiting for something to show. Then I get sick of peeping and throw in some wigeon cadence and woody "sweeeets" for variety to keep from driving myself nuts.

While on a buddy hunt this past Fall, however, I watched a couple guys turn some sprig I'd not have expected to do so with Murillo type whistles. Just happened a couple times, but thinking on it later made me wish I'd payed closer attention to what they were doing with regard to tone, cadence and timing. So that's what I'm asking for here, tactical advice from more serious whistle users than I.
Rick

Postby Bootlipkiller » Thu May 08, 2014 11:47 am

Redbeard wrote:
yea Rick you laid on the sarcasm purty thick here

Could be the reason for my response
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Postby Bootlipkiller » Thu May 08, 2014 12:09 pm

Rick wrote:In the "way back when" I was a great whistle fan, but I've felt I've had more leverage with whistling ducks using quacking calls for so long I can't remember the last time I saw pintails, wigeon or teal and reached for a whistle. For the past couple decades, whistles have been more of a specialty call for me. Say if everybody and his three cousins has quacked at low approaching mallards or if they're coming low after working and passing on a spot where someone's soured them on quacking, I'm apt to grab the whistle and do my best to sound like a mess and a half of teal on the water. Same thing when I'm in a hard hunted spot and see birds that plainly know the blind wanting to land well out: one of the "tricks" I'm apt to try is making it sound like there's a swarm of teal in the decoys, instead of the usual quacking SOB guarding them.

But I'm pretty much a one trick whistle pony with that "mess of teal" peeping tactic. About the only time I vary it is at first light and on foggy mornings, when I stick a Haydel whistle in the corner of my mouth to advertise fairly constantly to unseen birds, while we BS waiting for something to show. Then I get sick of peeping and throw in some wigeon cadence and woody "sweeeets" for variety to keep from driving myself nuts.

While on a buddy hunt this past Fall, however, I watched a couple guys turn some sprig I'd not have expected to do so with Murillo type whistles. Just happened a couple times, but thinking on it later made me wish I'd payed closer attention to what they were doing with regard to tone, cadence and timing. So that's what I'm asking for here, tactical advice from more serious whistle users than I.

I hunt in a very high pressure area with a federal refuge to my east allowing 60 some hunters any given shoot day. Every rice field for miles around has at least 1 blind per 100 acres and that my be conservative. With everyone being a mallard call super star these days I use my whistle more often then not and mix in subtle quacks and chuckles. My line of thinking on this is everyone around me is hammering these birds with their mallard call and I want to be different. Most days it works and we fair better then the blinds around me. One blind to my south west will drive you bonkers with the non stop teal whistling all morning but they are also very successful at times.

I see very few mallards after thanksgiving and one thing I've noticed over the years if I stay in the blind after shoot time to watch the night flight enter my field I predominately hear sprig widgeon and teal whistling on the water with the occasional 3 note quack from a hen sprig or hen widgeon. I don't like to ignore what's going on around me so I mimic this during my hunts.

On large groups of sprig the whistle in combo with a mallard chuckle is deadly at times. Sprig believe it or not do a lot of chuckling in flight at least in my experience. I also try not to get too excited with my sprig calling and attempt to have more of a conversation with the bird being the most vocal over the decoys. Teal I go the other direction and call excitedly.

Just my 2 cents
Bootlipkiller

Postby Rick » Thu May 08, 2014 1:04 pm

Much more gooder than Dixie.
Rick

Postby Rick » Fri May 09, 2014 9:19 am

Short thread.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Fri May 09, 2014 9:32 am

Dzzzzt
Dzzzzzzzzt
DDZZZZZZT

That's what I have done on a whistle. Have my doubts as to its effectiveness so quit doing it then my whistle got stolen. Fuck it. I don't need a whistle except this one.
[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1399645951841.jpg[/attachment]
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Fri May 09, 2014 9:44 am

I know guys who do all their duck whistling with the same pealess dog whistle they work their retrievers with.
Rick

Postby Flightstopper » Fri May 09, 2014 10:07 am

Rick wrote:I know guys who do all their duck whistling with the same pealess dog whistle they work their retrievers with.

Guess I'd be an other. I work my dog with my haydells. Makes it one less thing to keep up with.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:53 am

Used to use a Wingsetter but I found that drilling an extra hole in a Wingert whistle was easier and sounds better.
clampdaddy

Postby RonE » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:45 am

clampdaddy wrote:Used to use a Wingsetter but I found that drilling an extra hole in a Wingert whistle was easier and sounds better.

Welcome to the forum. What does Clampdaddy signify? ECV?
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:19 am

RonE wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:Used to use a Wingsetter but I found that drilling an extra hole in a Wingert whistle was easier and sounds better.

Thank you sir, and yes. :beer:
clampdaddy

Postby Bootlipkiller » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:25 am

Welcome! just please for the love of god don't bring slow shooter and shootnwide with you.
Bootlipkiller

Postby AKPirate » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:29 am

clampdaddy wrote:
RonE wrote:

Thank you sir, and yes. :beer:

:welcome: :beer:
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:45 am

Bootlipkiller wrote:Welcome! just please for the love of god don't bring slow shooter and shootnwide with you.

:lol: Nah, I closed the gate when I came through. If they show up its someone else's fault.
clampdaddy

Postby Bootlipkiller » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:37 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:Welcome! just please for the love of god don't bring slow shooter and shootnwide with you.

:lol: Nah, I closed the gate when I came through. If they show up its someone else's fault.

:lol:
Bootlipkiller

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:48 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

What about that '7mallards' guy?
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:49 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

What about that '7mallards' guy?

I just ignore that guy but he sucks too
Bootlipkiller

Return to Duck Call Forum