Live on tape...

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Re: Live on tape...

Postby Flightstopper » Tue May 13, 2014 3:47 pm

The xeno link you put up earlier worked for me and never asked for payment.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Tue May 13, 2014 4:40 pm

Flightstopper wrote:The xeno link you put up earlier worked for me and never asked for payment.

Appears I need to work on my writing skills, as it was not xeno-canto but Cornell's Macaulay Library that used to have some sort of subscription or membership block to free access. Cornell is where DU got their files, but when I tried to follow that lead some time back, I hit the road block and was too cheap or poor to pay the toll. Some xeno-canto species listings, however, include links to other references, including the Macaulay Library, and using that link got you in to that species' listing there without charge, but not to then access other species. Finding the barrier lifted was a nice surprise.
Rick

Postby KyMike » Tue May 13, 2014 8:21 pm

Wow. More sound files then I've ver seen. Thanks again for the links.
KyMike

Postby banknote » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:36 pm

I've spent a lot of the past week listening to Rick's link and mimicking mallard sounds. Here's me last night. Four tracks of me out back practicing, all mixed together. Some of it's cringe-worthy, but I feel like I'm starting to get better.

https://soundcloud.com/ed-hepp/duck-calling-practice
banknote

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:43 pm

Sounds like it'd work just fine. What else is going on in the recording? A second caller?
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby banknote » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:52 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Sounds like it'd work just fine. What else is going on in the recording? A second caller?

Thanks. It's all me, just recorded myself 4 times with my phone and mixed the tracks together in Garageband on the Mac.
banknote

Postby Rick » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:14 pm

The mix makes it a little hard to tell how it will translate in the field, but I really like the little clucks and chucks and some of the greetings. Other greetings are a skosh off plumb to my ear - but I ain't who/what it needs to impress.
Rick

Postby banknote » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:38 pm

Rick wrote:The mix makes it a little hard to tell how it will translate in the field, but I really like the little clucks and chucks and some of the greetings. Other greetings are a skosh off plumb to my ear - but I ain't who/what it needs to impress.

Yeah they're off to my ear, too. I keep going back to certain files on your link to realign and it's a big help. Hopefully I'll be more consistent come October.

I recorded this outside, with the phone about 20' away. When I record inside, it sounds a lot different in tone and it's too harsh, like you can hear the reed smacking the board. Practicing in my truck sounds the same and I don't like it as much as sitting out by the river. Some nights when there's no wind, I can sit across form a moored ship and get a perfect echo off its hull, giving me a listen to what I sound like 1/4-1/2 mile away.
banknote

Postby Goldfish » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:02 am

Kinda sounds like you squeak a couple of the high notes, but there is a lot going on in there to try and listen to
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Previous

Return to Duck Call Forum