Wood duck calling

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Re: Wood duck calling

Postby aunt betty » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:56 am

johnc wrote:Delrin is very good call material

You can run over with a truck,stuff is cheaper and damn near bullet proof

To me,somewhere between wood and acrylic as far as sound----but to be honest,i have ran them all speck wise---wood,acrylic,plastic,poly carb,delrin,all brass(which is not real special as one may think)---and there is not a whole hell of a lot of difference between

yes wood is more mellow(especially hedge),acrylic sharper,and so on---but there is not some global difference in sound

I see duck commander calls listed---I have never gotten one of their mallard calls to remotely sound worth a damn---

The only delrin call I've ever owned has two reeds. "White Lightning" by Rainman (greg derousse) .
Them Bayou Bottoms guys all use them and they kill piles of ducks. Very loud call. (extremely loud)
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:15 am

John, it's been a long time since I've sat a deer stand on a wood duck slough and been entertained by all the sounds they come up with, but you seem to have nailed a few of them. All of your flight whistles, however, sound alarmed/fast to this long time casual listener's ear, not just the last ones. That said, I'd still go with what's winning the contests you're prepping for.
Rick

Postby Darren » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:05 am

Have never really made an effort to call a woodduck; the only time we have them is during teal season and they eat up the spinners so much there's no calling needed.
Darren

Postby aunt betty » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:27 am

What worked for me in the green timber was to make a lot of ripples with the jerk rig.
If I were to target strictly wood ducks I'd use 8 wood duck decoys and two spreaders on a jerk line and keep it moving.
That's what they're looking for when they whiz past at treetop level. (I think)

WMA (X) has a chit ton of wood ducks. Y and Z have quite a few as well.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:02 am

What turns them for me is a single syllable but much more drawn out "sweeeeeeet" than your "ttuuu---wweeettt". Will, I'd think, carry a lot farther than most of their small talk.
Rick

Postby Ricky Spanish » Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:08 pm

Calling? They don't seem to be calling at all.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Ricky Spanish » Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:10 pm

Rick wrote:What turns them for me is a single syllable but much more drawn out "sweeeeeeet" than your "ttuuu---wweeettt". Will, I'd think, carry a lot farther than most of their small talk.

My last trip I studied up on calling wood ducks and it's not so hard.
Two-weet softly just once is enough. Was using duck commanders wood duck call it's pretty easy
IMG_20221120_063454_01.jpg
a dozen wood duck decoys helps. :thumbsup:
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Ricky Spanish

Previous

Return to Duck Call Forum