What's on your lanyard?

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

What's on your lanyard?

Postby 24arosenthal » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:17 am

I'm curious to see what people got on their lanyards. Could help me or others buy a new call. This is what I got on my lanyard:
1. RNT short barrel
2. CCC Illinois cut
3. Duck commander Mallard whistle
4. Hayes Bad Azz goose call
Using Tapatalk
24arosenthal

Re: What's on your lanyard?

Postby Weston81 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:51 am

CCC IL cut, and CCC Big Bore.
Weston81

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:18 am

RNT Daisycutter, RNT Timbre, RNT Microhen, Wingert's whistle.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby 24arosenthal » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:30 am

How are you liking the timber RNT duck hammer? I thought about getting it but wasn't sure on it. I had heard more on the short barrel so that why I got it
Using Tapatalk
24arosenthal

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:33 am

RM Gold Digger, RM Pot Hole, and Wingert Whistle.
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:02 pm

MVP and microhen
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:30 am

24arosenthal wrote:How are you liking the timber RNT duck hammer? I thought about getting it but wasn't sure on it. I had heard more on the short barrel so that why I got it

I like it. Has a different sound to it than any of the other RNTs. Mines about the same volume as my microhen.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby duckdreamer » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:14 am

A duck commander woodie whistle, Waiting on a fowl language mallard call, and one of my own.
duckdreamer

Postby mudshark » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:21 pm

Mvp,Zink money maker.
mudshark

Postby Deltaman » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:04 pm

Wooden cut-down commander (1980 vintage), Woodie call, and a whistle...........but unsure what brand.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Throbbin Rods » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:22 pm

Rich n Tone Original, Olt 800 goose call, Acme Thunderer
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell
Throbbin Rods
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flyway Stalker » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:38 pm

Zink - Call of Death goose & Power Hen mallard / Foils - Straight Meat Honker & Straight Suzy mallard / Big River short reed goose / Brian Lemars custom mallard call / Primos drake whistle.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.
Flyway Stalker

Postby Richard Federation » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:13 am

It doesn't matter much if you do not know how to blow a call properly put a $200 call in a novice's hands and a $50 call in the hands of a master and you tell me who will sound better. I know who I am putting my money on.
Regards

Rick

Rick Federation
404-988-7460
Richard Federation

Postby banknote » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:24 pm

RNT Short Barrel and DC Drake Whistle here, too, along with a Primos High Roller. Just getting confident on the RNT this season. I'm somewhat unimpressed with the drake whistle's effectiveness, lately. Every now and then it seems to help, but not always. The High Roller is great for keeping the pintails working, but it drives me nuts because half the time I start blowing the roller sticks and I have to blow it backwards to free it up. I've gotten good at this and it only takes a second, but it sucks, so I'm interested in other whistles.
banknote

Postby Rick » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:50 pm

banknote wrote:I've gotten good at this and it only takes a second, but it sucks, so I'm interested in other whistles.

I favor Haydel's MP-90 and get the trill by using my soft pallet as if starting to gargle. Also does a greenhead dweeb as well, for practical purpose, as Robertson's "green dynamite" if you cup your hand over it.
Rick

Postby banknote » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:07 pm

Rick wrote:
banknote wrote:I've gotten good at this and it only takes a second, but it sucks, so I'm interested in other whistles.

I favor Haydel's MP-90 and get the trill by using my soft pallet as if starting to gargle. Also does a greenhead dweeb as well, for practical purpose, as Robertson's "green dynamite" if you cup your hand over it.

Thanks, Rick. The Primos does the dweeb ok, too, but I can project it more with the "green dynamite" (which is maybe why it's not working so well, I'm blowing too hard.) I don't particularly like having that thing banging around on the lanyard, either, so maybe the MP-90 could free up some space for me.
banknote

Postby goosehunter64 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:08 pm

Winglock & CCC
goosehunter64

Postby Rick » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:31 pm

Guess I'll admit I rattle when I walk. I carry RNT's MVP and original version Microhen for quacking ducks, a pre-Riceland (slightly smaller bored) hedge James Meyers tuned high and fine and a micarta Riceland tuned lower and coarser for specks, a hedge Gander Valley Canada call with Saunders red guts, a Haydel MP-90 for general whistling and a Montana Lite herding dog whistle for tree ducks. Know I look like a Cabela's cowboy, but I never find myself wanting a call I think best for a job that's not handy.
Rick

Postby 24arosenthal » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:36 pm

banknote wrote:RNT Short Barrel and DC Drake Whistle here, too, along with a Primos High Roller. Just getting confident on the RNT this season. I'm somewhat unimpressed with the drake whistle's effectiveness, lately. Every now and then it seems to help, but not always. The High Roller is great for keeping the pintails working, but it drives me nuts because half the time I start blowing the roller sticks and I have to blow it backwards to free it up. I've gotten good at this and it only takes a second, but it sucks, so I'm interested in other whistles.

Took me awhile to get confidence using my short barrel to. Sounds amazing when you get really good at calling with it though
Using Tapatalk
24arosenthal

Postby banknote » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:37 pm

24arosenthal wrote:
banknote wrote:RNT Short Barrel and DC Drake Whistle here, too, along with a Primos High Roller. Just getting confident on the RNT this season. I'm somewhat unimpressed with the drake whistle's effectiveness, lately. Every now and then it seems to help, but not always. The High Roller is great for keeping the pintails working, but it drives me nuts because half the time I start blowing the roller sticks and I have to blow it backwards to free it up. I've gotten good at this and it only takes a second, but it sucks, so I'm interested in other whistles.

Took me awhile to get confidence using my short barrel to. Sounds amazing when you get really good at calling with it though

For me it's taken a bit of reed tweaking, too. My duck-whisperer hunting partner who's been calling for 40+ years likes it a little looser than I can really handle, but when I get it right and don't try to blow too loud, I can actually turn a few ducks with it... toward me, not away. Usually. Sometimes.
banknote

Postby Bufflehead » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:47 pm

banknote wrote: The High Roller is great for keeping the pintails working, but it drives me nuts because half the time I start blowing the roller sticks and I have to blow it backwards to free it up. I've gotten good at this and it only takes a second, but it sucks, so I'm interested in other whistles.
Maurilio #9 is the only roller whistle that hasn't stuck on me. It is a great pintail whistle but it is quieter/softer than a Maurilio #8 and all the other roller type whistles. It will not make the wigeon, teal or drake mallard sounds very good. About the only whistle I haven't had is the Billy G whistle that some of the California guys are nuts about.

IMO, if you can flutter your tongue to get the pintail sound, the Haydel and similar are the best all around whistles.
Bufflehead

Postby banknote » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:48 pm

Bufflehead wrote:
banknote wrote: The High Roller is great for keeping the pintails working, but it drives me nuts because half the time I start blowing the roller sticks and I have to blow it backwards to free it up. I've gotten good at this and it only takes a second, but it sucks, so I'm interested in other whistles.
Maurilio #9 is the only roller whistle that hasn't stuck on me. It is a great pintail whistle but it is quieter/softer than a Maurilio #8 and all the other roller type whistles. It will not make the wigeon, teal or drake mallard sounds very good. About the only whistle I haven't had is the Billy G whistle that some of the California guys are nuts about.

IMO, if you can flutter your tongue to get the pintail sound, the Haydel and similar are the best all around whistles.

Thanks I'll check them out.

I can get the trill without the roller, but Rick's gargle method works better than the tongue flutter for me.
banknote

Postby 24arosenthal » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:59 pm

banknote wrote:
24arosenthal wrote:

For me it's taken a bit of reed tweaking, too. My duck-whisperer hunting partner who's been calling for 40+ years likes it a little looser than I can really handle, but when I get it right and don't try to blow too loud, I can actually turn a few ducks with it... toward me, not away. Usually. Sometimes.

Well if they get turned away its obviously your hunting partners fault. Just saying haha
Using Tapatalk
24arosenthal

Postby Cox Cypress » Sun May 17, 2015 12:57 am

Rich n Tone Old Style Acrylic, Primos 6
N 1 Whistle and a dog
Whistle. I keep a spare Old Style in my back pack.

[url][[URL=http://s200.photobucket.com/user/Let Land/media/image.jpg1_zps1ggs7fjv.jpg.html]Image[/url]/url]
Cox Cypress

Postby Rick » Sun May 17, 2015 9:11 am

I suspect by your chosen user name and mallard call preference that you already know I'm a huge fan of the New Old Style. Didn't find it loud enough for my hunting purposes but love running it for fun.

That little Primos whistle, however, is one I overlooked while sampling a mess of whistles. Happened upon someone's long lost (older version?) smoke colored one in the field this Spring, and it's bumped my long time favorite Haydel M90 - pending the outcome of field use next season, of course.
Rick

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun May 17, 2015 9:27 am

The old style is a very nice call. To soft for me as well but I liked messing around with the one I had for awhile.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Cox Cypress » Sun May 17, 2015 6:15 pm

I run that NOS on the side of the mouth to really pressurize the air. The Daisy Cutter I gave one of my sons this year is too loud for where we hunt in Bayou Meto. It is great on open water.
Cox Cypress

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun May 17, 2015 9:17 pm

Cox Cypress wrote:I run that NOS on the side of the mouth to really pressurize the air. The Daisy Cutter I gave one of my sons this year is too loud for where we hunt in Bayou Meto. It is great on open water.

That's interesting as cutdowns are a big deal in Bayou Meto. Not saying you do it wrong I've just never heard of that approach in that region.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Cox Cypress » Sun May 17, 2015 9:40 pm

I started out on a cut down and ran one for years. I have four good ones left and two for spare parts. I've owned upwards of 40 when they were my go to. I gave most of them away to people who loved them and took the time to take me hunting when I was younger. Everyone has a theory. Mine is very little calling in Bayou Meto with very few decoys. I believe the ducks are getting wise to hearing the same thing from hundreds of people in the same area.
Cox Cypress

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun May 17, 2015 10:13 pm

I believe that.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Next

Return to Duck Call Forum